Cyclone 4000 Elite Fuel gauge not showing fuel consumption

Hi,

This evening I discovered more problem with the brand new Cyclone 4000 Elte. I noticed after a while that the fuel gauge has not shown the gas reducing in volume even after quite some time running the generator. Since other issues have been solved by opening the control panel, I thought the same this time. Heartland must use the cheapest connectors.

I took pictures. One picture shows the back of the fuel gauge with 2 connectors with nothing connected. I searched thoroughly for any disconnected wires. None were to be found. So, I started tracing the existing fuel gauge wires back to a bundle all taped together. Believe it or not, there are two wires very cleanly cut on that same bundle yet not going anywhere. This count of two cut cables are the same as what appears to be needed by the two unused connectors on the fuel gauge.

This is a brand new Cyclone - only several months old. I wouldn't know where to start on the problems I've had with this purchase!

I would appreciate others' help by taking a picture of the back of your fuel gauge. I've read several articles where wiring is backwards or not done completely. Any pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

Attachments

• IMG_2630.jpg
    IMG_2630.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2627.jpg
    IMG_2627.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2628.jpg
    IMG_2628.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 116

Subdrv

Tim

I read another post talking about the gen set being LP now. I am waiting on my 4000 does yours had LP on the model. That would explain the no decrease in fuel but not the missing wires.

scottyb

Tim

I read another post talking about the gen set being LP now. I am waiting on my 4000 does yours had LP on the model. That would explain the no decrease in fuel but not the missing wires.

Not likely on a toy hauler. They use LP generators on 5th wheels tha don't have fuel tanks.

Subdrv

Scotty

Thanks like I said still waiting on mine. I am glad to know they are still using the gas gen set on the Toy Haulers.

denverkas

Tim,
I also have a brand new 4000 Elite that I picked up in May. This evening when I get home I can take some pictures for you. My gauge has been working fine for me and I have had to refill the fuel tank twice now. I was just looking into the wiring behind the control panel myself 2 nights ago, not that I was having any issues I was just curious as to all the wiring that was back there. I also saw a cut wire like the one in your picture. I believe that it was white and orange. I couldn't figure out what it was for, but I knew that everything seemed to be working correctly in the camper anyway so I didn't bother with it. Anyway, I will get you some pictures tonight.

Denver

jimtoo

Not sure, but bet the two terminals that are on the back of the gauge that are not connected are for a light bulb in the gauge that is not being used.

Jim M

oscar

I believe Jim is right. Just like a car it is not unusual for a fuel gauge to be stuck on full, and then drop through half in a relatively short time. You said you filled it and then ran it "quite some time"...... how long is that? Do you know the size of the tank on the 4000? If you have the 5500 the consumption is about .6gph at half load....so, if you have a 30 gallon tank and run the genny for 6 hours, you're down 3.6 gallons or 10% of the capacity which would most likely not get the needle moving. Was the tank full wen you got it? Did you fill it? Did it go up when you filled it? A dead gauge usually reads empty. The only way to keep it reading full is if the float is hanging up in the tank. A few miles down the road would most likely fix that.

scottyb

I agree with Oscar. I recently ran mine with one AC for 72 hours straight. I shut it down for filling and checking oil every 12 hours. It would take about 7 - 8 gal to fill it, but the needle barely came off of Full, probably around 7/8.

denverkas

Here are the pictures of mine. The wiring appears the same as yours. I will agree that until I run my generator for about 10-12 hours at least, the gauge doesn't move. I've ran the generator for about 20 hours on this tank.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374281802.186052.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374281818.535265.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374281837.418343.jpg

porthole

Retired
Does the 4000 Elite have two fuel cells?

Does the Genny run off of only one?

Does the fuel gauge work for both tanks?

denverkas

My 4000 Elite only has one fuel cell. I believe it could have been ordered with an optional second fuel cell, but I bought mine off the lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2