Help with DSI issue (Solved)

taken

So, I have a problem with the electronic start on our heater. I get a DSI fault and no start. I can manually light it with a lighter. Now, the electronic ignition is sparking. I can see it. But, the spark won't light the burner. Any ideas? Luckily I have a long lighter with us on this trip so I can keep us in hot water. Would love to fix this myself rather than lugging the rig to the dealer... Any ideas would be appreciated!

danemayer

Re: Help with DSI issue

Hi taken,

Could be a lot of things. Clean everything. Make sure you actually have good voltage at your battery. Low voltage can = low spark. Don't overlook propane supply; even though it lights manually, if it's a bit low, it may fail on DSI, so try from the other tank, or swap tanks. Look for loose electrical connections at the electrode and also at the gas valve.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired

In addition to Dan's suggestions regarding the propane tanks, shut off the valves, disconnect the lines at the tank and turn on a stove burner or two for a minute. The idea being to purge any pressure in the lines and regulator. Sometimes the regulators get confused and won't allow adequate flow.
After all that, follow manufacturer's directions to reconnect the tanks. Light a stove burner to start flow through the lines (you can turn it off after it lights). Once you are able to light the stove you'll know that there is gas in the line and you can attempt to relight the water heater. If it still won't light you can be pretty well assured the issue is electrical.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired

This is probably a stupid question but is anything else working on propane (oven, hot water heater, etc.)?

Rod Ditrich

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

TedS

The igniter may not be close enough to the gas outlet. See if you can bend the igniter closer to the gas outlet.

Rickhansen

I agree with TedS, since it fires and runs when you light it by hand, the gas (flow) and gas valve is working.

You need to reposition the igniter to the right position. Be careful with it as they are quite brittle, and the "tweaking" needs to be done on the bracket. The igniter also acts as a flame detector, so it has to be in the right position in the flame or else the water heater will lock out.

You should have gotten a manual on the water heater with your rig. I believe it has a pretty good picture. Meanwhile, why not just use electric?

taken

Hey guys. Just got home and thanks for the ideas! The contacts were good so I moved the igniter a bit closer and we got fire first time. As for electric, I was at a state park with no hookups and limited generator hours. Anyways, problem solved and thanks again...