Tpms?

yport

Has anyone installed an after market Tire Pressure Monitoring System? With all the talk about lousy tires Heartland has been putting on I thought it might be a good layer of insurance / assurance to have such a system.

Worth it? What's a good system?

Thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Tpms

I have the TST system.
It has saved me twice, but not because of bad tires.
Both times it caught a slow leak. Once from a bad valve stem on the truck and once from a stone through a tire on the trailer.
I think a TPMS should be used no matter what type of tire you have.

Peace
Dave

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors

We bought the Innotech at the National Rally and although we have not had any issues to be alerted to, it is nice to be able to check tire pressure and temp at the touch of a button. It does give a certain level of peace of mind.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired

TST 507 on the F350 and the Bighorn. Absolutely love it and would not be without it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

4ever

I have the TST system and just upgraded to the 507 series. This one lets you fill the tires with the sensors on them.

SilverRhino

I also use the TST system......Even have the spare tires monitored....Hate crawling under the truck or trailer :)

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

TST507. Got it because of the TowMax, but even after replacing them, I like bring able to monitor the tires. Saved us a few times on slow leaks, and one bad valve stem coming down the BigHorn Mountains! Well worth it, no matter what tires you run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olcoon

I've got the TST 507, & it worked just fine for a while, then started losing the signal on the tires. After being replaced once & still having problems, got a repeater on it's way to see if that will work.

TravelTiger

I've got the TST 507, & it worked just fine for a while, then started losing the signal on the tires. After being replaced once & still having problems, got a repeater on it's way to see if that will work.

Not to derail the thread, but Roy, the repeater helped us. No more dropped sensors. I think we were getting interference.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Not to derail the thread, but Roy, the repeater helped us. No more dropped sensors. I think we were getting interference.
I added a repeater as well. No more issues.
I think my aux. fuel tank was causing the problem.

Peace

Dave

wdk450

I have the Tire Traker TPMS system that I bought in January 2012 at Quartzite, Arizona. In late May of 2012 I was on my way from Sacramento to West Yellowstone, MT. On my 2nd day out, while driving on I-84 in Idaho, the TPMS alarm sounded. Nothing felt wrong with the way the rig pulled, and I did not see any tire smoke in my mirrors. I pulled over to the side of the freeway, walked back to the trailer, and the smell of rubber smoke was overwhelming. I saw that I had a tire rubbing on the sharp corner of a shock mount. I got the rig another 1/4 mile to an offramp, called road service. and later learned that my drum had cracked all the way around in the neck where the bearings are mounted. thus twisting the wheel on the axle, and causing the tire to rub. I would have learned about this the hard way without the TPMS.

Here is a link:http://www.technorv.com/TireTraker_s/118.htm

Last edited:

yport

Thank you folks for the helpful info. Will I need to replace all the rubber valve stems out for metal? I read of issues with some of the sensors being too large/heavy that the centrifugal force bent the rubber to a point that is wore on the edge and created a leak. Maybe the TST 507 and TireTracker sensors are small/light enough not to be an issue?

Thanks again ...

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Yes, if you dont switch to metal you are asking for problems.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

TravelTiger

Thank you folks for the helpful info. Will I need to replace all the rubber valve stems out for metal? I read of issues with some of the sensors being too large/heavy that the centrifugal force bent the rubber to a point that is wore on the edge and created a leak. Maybe the TST 507 and TireTracker sensors are small/light enough not to be an issue?

Thanks again ...

Rubber with metal sleeve worked for a while, but I could see where the sensor was rubbing on the rims, so I don't recommend them.

Also In a separate incident, we moved a sensor to the spare when we had to put the spare on the ground. It had an all rubber stem, and it flexed it to premature failure. Luckily, the tpms alerted us of the leaking stem!

We have switched to all metal stems on all wheels now.

DRGalligher

We just purchased the 10 set TST pressure and temperature system with the repeater based on feedback on RV.net. They are all installed and calibrated but have not taken a trip yet. One thing to be aware if you have a DRW TV - the locking tool will not fit on the rear wheels, inside or out, so you'll have to bend the handle on the tool. Two locking tools come with the set.

wdk450

I don't bother with the locks. Pre-trip I take the readout around to all the tires, unscrewing then replacing the sensor to verify I get an alarm, and to get a pressure reading to see if they need air. This also assures me communication is established with the sensors (the readout can hold previous data from a previous trip, and I am never sure the data is current unless I do this procedure - I sure would like to see some sort of "communication established" symbol for each sensor on the readout).