Next Newbe Question: Air Compressor

Greengas

Update: Next Newbe Question: Air Compressor

Ok, so here we go again :) I have decided to get the basic air bags (without built in compressor) and therefore need a compressor that can not only air up the bags but also the tires on my truck (80psi) and my Landmark (110psi). From what I can tell, I have two basic options. I can get a 120volt compressor, store it in the basement, and then hook it up when I need it. Advantage: I can use it at home as well, the air flow out is adjustable so I can use it to blow out my waterlines as part of winterizing the coach and it has a high CFM rate. Disadvantage: It is 120volt which means if I want to use it when I am not hooked up to a 30 or 50 amp service I will need to buy an inverter and based on most of the compressors being 10amps and using the formula of amps times volts equals watts I will need at least a 1200 most likely a 1500 watt inverter. Now, the other options is to get a 12volt compressor like a Viair. Advantage: I can hook it up directly to the coach or truck batteries which means I can run it anytime (saves the cost of the inverter). It is also smaller so it would take up less room in the basement. Disadvantage: I can not regulate the air flow out so not sure if I can use it to blow out my water lines. The CFM is much lower than a 120volt unit so the compressor will have to work harder to pump up the tires.

Well, that's how I see it. I did not mention cost becuase while a factor it is more important to get what will do the best job, overall, for me. So, what do ya'll think? What do you use and how do you use it?

My coach is being built next week so I'm getting closer to moving from Prespective Owner to Actual Owner ;)

Thanks again for all the help and guidance.

Last edited:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Re: Next Newbe Question: Air ComI canpressor

Check out Air Horns of Texas. They can customize a solution that will include a nice Air Horn for your truck and include a line for hooking to for filling all your tires, etc.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

I have the Viair in my Bighorn.
I have a regulator that I can plug onto the hose.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Re: Next Newbe Question: Air Compressor

Ronn,

Get the Viair. I had a 110V that did the job, although it was a struggle to get the tires to 110psi. It worked for me because I have a Generator that I could fire up to power the compressor. But it was too large so I replaced it. The ViAir 450p is pricey, but it's continuous duty and has no trouble airing up the trailer tires to 110psi. I was also thinking ahead to tire replacement because I may go to H load rating and inflate a little higher. Plus, this works when it's just the truck.

You'll want an extension hose because you'll be running this off the truck battery at high idle. ViAir also sells regulators so you can knock the pressure down to <40psi to winterize. You can also get these accessories at Harbor Freight.

Westwind

Have a Viair 12V Portable that I got on Amazon and it's worked out great. I highly recommend their products they are well made. Slightly expensive but very serviceable.
I have a 110lb 110 compressor that I could have used but I liked being able to use the compressor without looking for 110 outlet.

Greengas

Have a Viair 12V Portable that I got on Amazon and it's worked out great. I highly recommend their products they are well made. Slightly expensive but very serviceable.
I have a 110lb 110 compressor that I could have used but I liked being able to use the compressor without looking for 110 outlet.

Which model do you have?

fljlcw

we fulltime and have the 110 in basement but also have the viair 450c mounted to truck works great it came with A 2.5 gal tank and we plumbed in A 7.5 gal tank for extra volume next month or two we will be adding 2nd 450 compressor to system for faster return pricey but we now have air where ever were at and can run some air tools. Fred

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

I have the Viair 400C and keep in in a closed container in the truck bed. I tossed the flimsy plastic hose that came with it and keep a 50ft. coil of 3/8" Goodyear rubber hose with it. No problem topping off the 110 psi BH tires or maintaining the truck tires. For winterizing/dewinterizing, I take my 3 gal. Makita air nailer compressor and Honda EU2000i generator to the storage yard.

mdamerell

Not to be a wise guy but there is a 120 v 20 amp outlet in most power pedestals. An extension cord would solve the 120 v power issue. It least that is what I do. I have a 2 gal 100# air compress since that is all I need and I just use an extension cord the pedestal or garage.

danemayer

Not to be a wise guy but there is a 120 v 20 amp outlet in most power pedestals. An extension cord would solve the 120 v power issue. It least that is what I do. I have a 2 gal 100# air compress since that is all I need and I just use an extension cord the pedestal or garage.

What do you do if you need air and are not at a campground?

Cyberdave

I use a 150 psi 120 v compressor that sits in the forward bay. It has a small on board tank and it was too slow airing up the tires to 110 psi so I bought 10 gal tank from lowe's and now I just pull it out of the front bay, run some curly-q hoses and I'm done in a few minutes. Plus, I have 10 gal of 150 psi air if I need it.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We opted for an inverter and a AC air compressor from Sears, I don't know the details off hand but all works great. All in the front bin. You think you can find air easily while traveling (at gas stations or truck stops) but not so... Our experience was that air didn't work half the time, or wouldn't inflate even to 80!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

happyappy

I just bought this compressor... Haven't had a chance to use it yet. I like the feature that allows me to preset the pressure which should make airing up the air bags a snap. I also like that it can be used with AC or DC.

027488603516lg.jpg

http://www.lowes.com/pd_146781-40883-KL12120_0__?productId=3522750&Ntt=compressor

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The Kobalt may not work for all applications.
It has a max of 90psi. Some tires require 110psi.

Peace
Dave

evolvingpowercat

For a light duty application like this where you don't want to take too much space you might consider Harbor Freight's 1.5 HP 6 Gal oil-less compressor, can be set up to pressurize the 6 Gal tank up to 150 PSI, Central Pneumatic Item # 68149 for $ 130. Draws up to 12 Amps 110 VAC. Weighs 36 lbs.