Edge vs North Trail question

Can I solicit an opinion on the comparison between the Edge, and the North Trail models? I was about to make an offer on a 2011 Edge M21 for $**K, but just ran across a 2011 North Trail 21FBS for $**.*K. The NT 21FBS is 5' longer & 1' wider than the M21, and for an extra $900, it seems like a better deal (about 50 sq ft more space). Are there quality differences between the Edge ($106/sq ft) and North Trail ($79/sq ft)? Is the Edge generally a more expensive, higher quality model than the NT?

Last edited by a moderator:

evolvingpowercat

I bought a Edge as my first RV and have been very satisfied with it. I was looking for something that I could tow that had a max loaded weight of 5,000 pounds or less.

The Edge was Heartland's entry into the high quality Ultra Light Weight category. They exited that category about 2 years ago. The Edge whole line can be towed by any SUV or Truck with Class IV hitch and 5,000 pounds towing capacity. I have a M21 (length of 22' and height of 10') which weighs 3600 empty and max loaded weight of 4500. This seems to be about 700 lbs less then the similar floor plan North Trail ( but note the North Trail is 6" wider so may seem a bit bigger inside ).

Edge is all aluminum stud floor, side wall, ceiling construction but would guess that North Trail is that way too.
Like the North Trail all models had full baths with sink, shower, toilet

Some of the deltas vs. Heartlands current light weight category RVs:

Edge: width of 7' 6" - current ones width of 8' 0"
Edge: had a special frame with openings in the center I beam part of the frame rails to save weight
Edge: has no provision for a rear ladder to save weight
Edge: has no real rear bumper, just a decorative rear bumper that folds down to store sewer hose, etc.
Edge: 3 season, nothing surrounding the water, grey, and black tanks to protect them from freezing
Edge: no drawers, has plastic tubs on slide tracks instead to save weight yet provide same functionality
Edge: light weight slide out - does not extend as far as non-light weight trailer slide outs
Edge: 36 gal fresh, 32 gal grey, 32 gal black tanks
Edge: basic 16K BTU furnace and basic 6 gal propane only hot water heater
Edge: 7' ceiling height in most of the unit, less over the bed and in the bath
Edge: One piece moulded counter tops with integrated sink

They used some "Euro" trailer style items to save weight as well:
- Euro style 2 layer thermo-pane windows with integrated blackout shades and bug screens
- Dometic made in Germany RM 8255 3 way refrigerator
- Dometic 2 burner cook top (no oven, Edge uses that space for storage instead)

I made a few upgrades you may want to consider if you buy an Edge:

- put an accumulator air tank behind the hot water heater, so the water does not pulse when using water from the RV via the pump
- put a fantastic fan in place of the passive vent above the bed
- replace the OEM Tow Max tires with known good new ones - I went with Maxxis
- decent shower head - I went with one of the Oxygenics ones

berky

Judging by the the posts I have seen over the past year and a half, I would say both Edge and NT owners are equally happy. We've been very happy with our NT .. though not the model you are looking at ... and consider NT to be one of the top TT's in terms of quality.

In making your choice:
- Forget about $/SF. While that's used a lot in commercial real estate, I've never read of anyone looking at TT that way.
- Make sure neither model has any water damage. A 2011 model probably won't, but you can never be too sure. Check for musty smell, stains, and spongy floors.
- Use the floor plan and features as your primary criteria. Pick the model that is you and that fits the way you want to live when you've escaped the daily rat-race for the weekend.

And after you've made your choice, don't look back. Enjoy your new toy!

evolvingpowercat

I agree that the North Trail is a good product too and with the other comments. If you have a weight limit of 5,000 lbs. on your tow vehicle just be careful on which models you look at only the FX17 and FX18 have max weights under 5,000 lbs.

pegmikef

I have had both the Edge and the NT and I thought the quality was a little better in the NT. In the effort to hold the weight down some sacrifices were made (e.g., flimsy plastic drawers). I can't compare them directly because our NT was bigger and had a lot of features like ducted air, solid counter tops, a better refrigerator (IMO), a better stove with and oven. We enjoyed the Edge the six months we had it, but found that we needed a little more room. The main thing I disliked about the Edge was the A/C as it was very loud.

evolvingpowercat

The original Edge sales brochure said it had ducted AC but my 2011 is not ducted. Assume no Edge ever made had ducted AC were since the roof is way too thin to hold any ducts. I agree that the OEM non-ducted AC on the Edge is VERY loud. The OEM unit is only 2 speed which could have been labeled LOUD and VERY LOUD but are actually labeled AC and MAX AC ha ha ha.

That might be one area that a new North Trail might have improved. The better and best lines of roof top ACs now are quieter and have 3 speeds not 2. That said one might have to special order a North Trail and pay extra to get the quieter AC model.

evolvingpowercat

No, but there is 12 volts for the light right next to the opening and I used that. I had changed half my light bulbs to LED so had plenty of capacity to run the fan off that fused circuit without problems. The fantastic fan only draws a few amps even on highest speed.

Thank you for the input. I appreciate the feedback. I'll post when I make a decision. Cookie, I send my apologies for not adhering to the guidelines re: pricing info... it won't happen againThanks

priorguy

I went from an SOB similar to the Edge to my North Trail. 6" in width difference wasn't very noticeable but there was no slide. Lot's of weight to be saved when you multiply that 6" width times height and length versus the space lost. I looked at a pair of SOB ultra-lights that were 26' & 30' with max weights of 5000lbs. Everything was really cheap, but light weight. They were 2009 models, brand new and still on the lot this past spring. The Edge was much nicer. Had the same triangle cut frame you describe. We looked at Edge as well in 2010 but too big for SUV we had at the time. Liked the finishes and front cap appearance. Price was high for the size as well, seems the lighter you go the higher the price. This time we went NT because of the finishes and features and new TV can handle it. Doesn't hurt that it's almost 1000lbs lighter then a conventionally framed trailer. Congradulations on your purchase and have fun with it.

ucwinters

Had a North Trail 21 FBS. We were looking at it and the Edge. Wife like the kitchen drawers better on the North Trail and solid (Formica?) countertops as opposed to the plastic ones on the Edge. The a/c on the North Trail did a great job of cooling the trailer and we had plenty of room in the bathroom. Had a remote for the a/c so could adjust the temp on the a/c while resting in bed - that was a nice feature. Originally pulled the trailer w/ a F150 5.4 liter and did a good job. When hooked up behind the Dodge 3/4 ton w/ Cummins diesel, never felt the weight of the trailer.