ATF: North Trail - Fender Skirt Failure

jw56947

I have a 2013 Heartland North Trail Caliber 24RBS. The fender skirts have failed twice in less than 5 K miles. They flap in the wind and eventually the plastic around the screws crack and the skirts have splits 8 inches long and growing. I contacted the dealer and was told it was out of warranty but he contacted the factory and they denied my claim even though this has been and ongoing problem and they have replaced one of the skirts a week after the initial sale/delivery. I called the factory and had a discussion with a supervisor who was very accommodating and agreed, even though the unit is out of warranty, to send me two new skirts with brackets and I could install the new ones myself. From the factory the skirts DID NOT HAVE ANY SUPPORT BRACKETS. I think this is why they failed. Too much flapping in the wind. I never tow over 60 MPH. My question is: Did this unit normally come from the factory with support brackets from the skirts to the frame? If so, I guess they left my off by mistake. Can someone send me a diagram or picture of what the brackets look like when they are installed. It doesn't seem difficult to me and I am a good mechanic and handyman but I would just like to see the final product prior to my install.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Don't feel like you're alone. I'm on my third set and we barely tow ours. At the Goshen rally, they put on a new set and one already has a crack around a screw after a whopping 340 mile trip home. I need to put a reinforcement on it.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I noticed early on the minimal support for the fender skirts and came up with my own solution. A lot depends on what you have near the center of the skirt to work with. I bought some 1" wide 16 gauge stock from Home D and formed a gusset from the bottom center of the skirt to the slide out adjustment hardware.
As mentioned, a lot depends on what your situation is and where you can attach a support.