Next Newbe Question: 12 volt Outlets

Greengas

Real quick question. Can someone tell me if the 2014 San Antonio has any12 volt outlets and if so where they are. This is going to help with my compressor decision because if there is one of two in the coach that we can use it might negate the initial need for an inverter and make the 12 volt compressor my choice. While we don't boondock often it would be nice to make a pot of coffee before hitting the road and with a well placed 12 volt outlet and a small 12 volt coffee pot that would be possible.

evolvingpowercat

Re: Next Newbe Question: 12volt Outlets

The 12 volt outlets can only deliver 10 amps or drive a 120 watt load max. Any compressor that only draws 100 watts will be nearly useless trying to pressurize air to 120 PSI. Don't go here. Usable 120 VAC compressors like what you want will use well over 500 watts more typically 1000 watts. You might find a 12 volt compressor this powerful but it would require a direct battery connection and would be EXPENSIVE.

Greengas

The 12 volt outlets can only deliver 10 amps or drive a 120 watt load max. Any compressor that only draws 100 watts will be nearly useless trying to pressurize air to 120 PSI. Don't go here. Usable 120 VAC compressors like what you want will use well over 500 watts more typically 1000 watts. You might find a 12 volt compressor this powerful but it would require a direct battery connection and would be EXPENSIVE.

i appreciate your guidance. But the use I was thinking of for the 12 volt outlets was for things like a coffee pot. If I go the 12 volt route for the compressor it will be one that hooks directly to the battery.

evolvingpowercat

Coffee maker on 12 volts - same problem a good drip coffee maker uses 600 watts which is more than a 12 volt accessory outlet can deliver.

Options when there is no 120 volt power is a percolator on a stove burner, which I tried but did not like the result compared to drip coffee maker coffee. Coleman makes a camping drip coffee maker that sits over a stove burner and uses the stove burner to heat the water for the drip coffee. Personally I have a portable generator that I fire up for boondocking in the mornings to do things like run the microwave / convection oven and run the drip coffee pot.

Camping world sells a 12 volt drip coffee maker but I assume it has to be hard wired - I assume it must use way more than 10 amps to boil the water or it would take forever.

Greengas

So what could the 12 volt outlets, if there are any, be used for?

evolvingpowercat

I use mine for 12 volt cell phone chargers, battery chargers for NiMh and NiCd batteries, a portable air compressor/flash light that recharges on 12 volts that I use on my bike tires and for portable outdoor lighting, and 12 volt operated portable fans.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired

I use mine for an electric cooler that either uses 12v or 110.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374370862857.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374370862857.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 35

wdk450

My rig came with no 12 volt outlets - I added a couple wired in to the wiring behind wall lamps.
I would advise you get 1 or 2 (or 3) extra batteries wired in parallel, big 12 volt cables, and a pure sine wave inverter big enough to power what you want to. with 110 VAC. I want to be able to power my microwave if I need to, so I have 4 batteries, and a 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter which is fused with a 250 amp fuse on the 12 volt DC input.

mobilcastle

I put some in-not a hard install. We use for fan and cell phone chargers. I also have a 12volt pump I use to fill gray water bladder in my truck bed-no blue boy for me. Happy camping.

Duramax1

Coffee maker on 12 volts - same problem a good drip coffee maker uses 600 watts which is more than a 12 volt accessory outlet can deliver.

Options when there is no 120 volt power is a percolator on a stove burner, which I tried but did not like the result compared to drip coffee maker coffee. Coleman makes a camping drip coffee maker that sits over a stove burner and uses the stove burner to heat the water for the drip coffee. Personally I have a portable generator that I fire up for boondocking in the mornings to do things like run the microwave / convection oven and run the drip coffee pot.

Camping world sells a 12 volt drip coffee maker but I assume it has to be hard wired - I assume it must use way more than 10 amps to boil the water or it would take forever.

I simply boil some water on the stove and then pour that water through the drip coffee maker.

Greengas

Thank you to everyone for sharing how they use or don't use their 12 volt outlets. Now, what I would really like to know is, in the Landmark San Antonio, are there any 12 volt outlets inside the coach and if so, where are they. Come on you Landmark San Antonio owners, I know you are out there!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

We do not have one. Look around by you BR TV and under the upper kitchen cupboards by the stove. They should look like a cigar liter in a car. I added several (car type) cell phone plugs in the coach. Not hard to do...but I installed an inline 10amp fuse in each one.

pegmikef

In my other rig I installed one in the bedroom for a fan. I use an Endless Breeze 12 Volt fan when we are boondocking. I haven't found any in our new BH so I am going to have to install a couple. I want one in the basement for a 12 volt reefer and one in bedroom for my fan. There isn't even one by the TV booster like there used to be.

doxiecouple

I have the San Antonio. Mine has 12 volt outlets near the antenna booster in the front closet and one near the computer desk. Haven't used either yet.

Greengas

I have the San Antonio. Mine has 12 volt outlets near the antenna booster in the front closet and one near the computer desk. Haven't used either yet.

Thanks so very much. How do you like your San Antonio? What is the best feature and what feature would you change if you could? Also, ate your batteries in their own compartment on the side or in the front compartment?

jbeletti

What is the best feature and what feature would you change if you could?

Hi there,

This wasn't addressed to me, but I had a San Antonio as my demo coach for a year.

What I liked best about it:
- Split bath
- Sink in commode room
- Mega-shower

What would I have changed if I could:
- Add 2 more feet length to the kitchen so I could have more counter and cabinet space*

* Already at nearly 42 feet, adding 2 more feet to it might put it over the max allowed by RVIA rules and man, not sure I want to pull 44 to 45 feet of 5th wheel :)

Greengas

Hi there,

This wasn't addressed to me, but I had a San Antonio as my demo coach for a year.

What I liked best about it:
- Split bath
- Sink in commode room
- Mega-shower

What would I have changed if I could:
- Add 2 more feet length to the kitchen so I could have more counter and cabinet space*

* Already at nearly 42 feet, adding 2 more feet to it might put it over the max allowed by RVIA rules and man, not sure I want to pull 44 to 45 feet of 5th wheel :)

thanks Jim. By the way, where in Tennessee are you? My DW's family is from Clinton.

Mrsfish

"In my other rig I installed one in the bedroom for a fan. I use an Endless Breeze 12 Volt fan when we are boondocking. I haven't found any in our new BH so I am going to have to install a couple. I want one in the basement for a 12 volt reefer and one in bedroom for my fan. There isn't even one by the TV booster like there used to be."

I wouldn't/couldn't even begin to install a 12volt outlet, so forgive my ignorance, but where would be the best place to get this done? Dealer or electrician?