Hydraulic slide solenoid

mgarvin4

I have a 3585RL Bighorn. I am not getting voltage to the solenoid that is on the manifold for the hydraulic slides. It is connected to a blue wire that is in a harness going through the front basement wall where the system is located. I had to use the bypass on the solenoid to retract my 2 main slides. Does anyone know where the solenoid gets is 12v supply from? Also what is the actual purpose of the electrically activated device and versus the override function?

danemayer

Hi mgarvin4,

When the hydraulic pump is energized, it can run in one direction to extend slides and landing gear. It can also run in the other direction to retract.

Each device or set of devices has a valve that opens to allow fluid in to extend the device, and out to retract. Some trailers may have a separate valve for each slide. Others may have a single valve that works for all the slides. When the valve is closed, no fluid can pass. So when you extend the slides, as you release the button, the pump stops and the valve closes to lock the fluid in place, holding the slide open.

Normally, if you press the switch to extend or retract the slides, that switch signals the hydraulic pump to run in a particular direction and also signals the appropriate valve to open and allow fluid to move.

If there were an electrical failure such that the pump didn't run and the valve didn't open, you could manually open the valve and use a drill to operate the pump. In the case where the pump runs, but the valve doesn't open, operating the valve manually lets you extend or retract the slide. Just remember to close the valve so the fluid stays in place.

I would think the switch inside the coach signals both the pump and the valve. If the pump runs when the switch is pressed, I'd check the backside of the switch for loose wiring.

mgarvin4

I haven't had much experiance with the Forum yet but what does it mean when it shows my post has been moved? Or has it been closed out? Where was it moved to?

danemayer

Sometimes moderators move threads to a sub-forum that's a better match to the content. I don't know where this thread was originally posted, but if for example it was in Heartland- General, it would be a better fit in Hydraulic Systems, which is where it is now.

If you posted the same content in more than one place, a moderator will usually delete one of the threads/posts so that responses are in one place.

If you want to find something you posted, click on your name at the top of page and on the My Activity Tab, you can see your recent posts and threads. The menu on the left will let you dive deeper.