Popular Mechanics Test

Tom of Ypsi

The least the testers could do is get the trucks somewhat closer. There is a wide margin in rear ends, srw versus drw. I know these were noted in the article but how can they say it is a fair comparison. Sounds like The General paid for a test.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Rog, really good article,tells it like it is GM on top and still climbing.:D ......Ken

Forrest Fetherolf

Rog,

NO! NO! NO!................................

Do not disclose this highly sensitive information that we (Duramax Owners) already know, keep it a secret or everyone will be rushing to buy a Duramax and the prices will soar when we buy another one.
:D :D

Forrest

nhunter

I wrote them a letter about the "equality " of their comparison. Yes GM makes a fine truck but where is the GCWR, GVWR. Their fuel milage differences could like likely be attributed to the Fords 4.30:1 rear end ratio and GM's 3.73:1.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I believe the GCRW and GVRW are adjusted based on the vehicle weight. In other words, lighter truck, lower weight ratings (GM). Heavier truck, heavier ratings, (Ford). I think all three are great trucks and I drool when I see the new F450 but then I think of MPG and grin about my Chevy.:D

cliffhanger

The 0-60 time on the Ford seems awfully slow, I know mine (unladen) rips to 60 much quicker than 12 sec.!! How much other info is inaccurate? For all three trucks!

nhunter

Ray, I know the weight ratings change but fot the "heavy hauler test" I think that might be an important piece of information, as in can it even legally pull my trailer and how much pin weight can I carry.

billd

If they were going to do a fair comparison all three trucks should have been dullays, with 4.x gear ratio for towing.

Sending a SRW to the test was wrong. GM makes good trucks, but this test did not compare apples to apples.

But then I have never seen a fair test of the big three trucks, it is always skewed. So I take the review as a good place to learn about them and make my own choices.

Bill

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
That is a very good article, Forrest. I have read that before and was looking for it. Glad you found it. I think it will lay to rest the apples to oranges argument. And, once again, the GM Duramax came out on top.

Fred

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Regarding rear axle ratios, a 4.10 is not available with the Duramax Allison. I'm not sure if it has to do with torque on the Allison or RPM's of the Duramax. I think if it we're available it would put the GM higher up on the win list.. Hee hee.

katkens

Great article ,Forrest! Now one can see the lone apple tree in the forest and the sour grape arbors on the fringe.:D ....Ken

Forrest Fetherolf

GMC has a 3.73 rear end simply because the Duramax has to HP and torque to keep it rolling. The Duramax is set up perfect with 1650 RPM @ 650 lbs torque @ 62 MPH. GMC did their home work on the Duramax/6 spd Allison combination. A 4.10 rear end would only increase unnecessary RPMs or decrease MPH, and lower MPG with no net change in performance. I have not noticed the necessity for "Power Chips", I pull 22460 lbs over the 1-5 "Grape Vine" and the I-15 "Baker Grade" @ 55/60 MPH without problems.
Forrest

nhunter

Makes you wonder if that's all GM has then why didn't they get a SRW with 3.73 from Dodge and Ford? I have no problem with the GM being better in their opinion but they should have had a level playing field.

katkens

nhunter said:
Makes you wonder if that's all GM has then why didn't they get a SRW with 3.73 from Dodge and Ford? I have no problem with the GM being better in their opinion but they should have had a level playing field.

Part 3-Page1---- Quote: A gentle reminder to our readers. When we put together the 2007 Heavy Duty Shootout we gave each manufacturer four weeks to come up with their best truck within the following parameters-three quarter ton trucks had to be single rear wheel crew cab 4x4 gassers and the one tons had to be dual rear wheel crew cab 4x4 diesels. As each manufacturer provided the specs on the trucks they were going to provide , we shared data (yes, including rear axle ratios) with the other OEMs. So, all the manufacturers were aware of what the others were bringing to the party. Unquote

nhunter

katkens said:
Part 3-Page1---- Quote: A gentle reminder to our readers. When we put together the 2007 Heavy Duty Shootout we gave each manufacturer four weeks to come up with their best truck within the following parameters-three quarter ton trucks had to be single rear wheel crew cab 4x4 gassers and the one tons had to be dual rear wheel crew cab 4x4 diesels. As each manufacturer provided the specs on the trucks they were going to provide , we shared data (yes, including rear axle ratios) with the other OEMs. So, all the manufacturers were aware of what the others were bringing to the party. Unquote

I was talking about the PM article.