North Trail NT 26LRSS vs NT 29LRSS

Diydai

We are in the process of purchasing a North Trail NT 29LRSS and are beginning to second guess it because of the 34' overall length. I will be towing with a 2009 F150 Supercrew, but only relatively short distances. My biggest concern is if it would limit us too much in camping spaces at most parks vs the NT26LSS. Any guidance would be appreciated.

danemayer

Hi diydai,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helstatepful people.

We've been to a bunch of places around Texas with our 39' 5'er. Haven't had any problems finding places that fit. In TX state parks, there are usually spaces that are large enough for us, but obviously there'd be a wider choice of sites if we were 34', or less. I think you'll be fine.

You should check the specs on your tow vehicle against the trailer specs to make sure you're safe. Fifth Wheel Safe Towing is a great resource to do that (and despite the name, it covers non-5th wheels).

pegmikef

We looked at the 29RLSS while we owned the 26RLSS and didn't think the difference was worth the money. The bedroom was actually smaller, but there was a little more room in the living area. I had installed shelves where the TV would have gone in the bedroom so we had more storage area. The put the hot water heater in the basement in the 29 using up valuable storage space. I pulled our 26RLSS with an F150 gasser for a couple of months and always felt we were underpowered in hilly terrain so I moved up to an F250 diesel. That being said, I didn't feel there were any safety issues with the F150, very little sway and no braking issues.

d_fergie

What little I got to pull my new North Trail 22FBS with my F150 last week (up to highway speeds, did some outskirts of town neighborhood driving)it is underpowered, I'll know more this weekend as planning to go to the local mountains/forest camping for it's first trip... My usage will be for local 1 hour travel or so trips, the 30' length is taking some getting used to from the 18' I used before and for sure will up there, I plan to "practice" here at the house (live in the country)before heading up.

EandJ

As far as being limited in parks because of the the overall lenght - haven't run into that yet and we have the NorthTrail 31QBSS which is a little over a foot longer. We have camped at a lot of Texas state parks near us (and you - as you only live probably about 20 miles from me - Welcome Neighbor!) and river district parks and some county parks. Plus regular RV parks. So far - not a single problem with being limited.

As far as towing - can't help there as we pull with a diesel Excursion.