Towing motorcycle or boat behind 5fer

sharmulst

Wondering if anyone has had experience towing tandem (ie: motorcycle or boat trailer) behind your 5th wheel in Alabama or Florida.
The laws don't appear to allow it, however, have heard stories of people getting away with it.

happyrover

Tandem Towing

Steve,
Don't know about Flordia or the other eastern states, but there definitely are states that it is a no no. If you have plans on doing it, I would make sure that the states you plan to go through approve it. One accident in a state that doesn't allow it could give you some major law suits, especially if there is a death involved. Lots of folks get away with speeding also.
Mel (Happyrover)

ct0218

Can't do it in FL. I've seen them on I-10 coming into FL, but it is only a matter of time before the FHP spots them.

Niles

I know this is a old tread , but we just got back from Florida. We have a 2008 Dodge Dually 4x4 CTD with exhast brake. We pull a Bighorn 3670RL with a hitch on the back connected to a pace 10 foot cargo trailer,with a 2004 Goldwing 1800 in it.It pulls very well, no weaving in and out of lanes and we have a camera on the back trailer at all times just in cause. We are at 70 feet long and did not have any problems what so ever, will you or could you, yes it all depends on the guy who sees you and is going to make a point. I try to stay in the low key situation and don't do anything stupid. However as the wife says it can't last forever, we'll see.None

tkdmike

Niles and Deb, I have a BH 3600 RL with a dealer installed hitch receiver for towing a motorcycle trailer. Since I lost a trailer behind a fifth wheel (with two motorcycles on it) I've been a wreck about towing tandem. Part of the issue is not being able to see the bike trailer. What camera set up do you use? Where did you get it, etc.? Any information would be very helpful.

lhetsler

Hitch

I have to say that the suspensions on some of these 5th wheels and trailers is barely sufficient for the weight of the unit. I would not tow a trailer or motorcycle or much of anything else except some bicycles. The suspension just cannot handle the extra weight. There has been some discussion that the warranty might be affected, but I don't have anyting in writing stating that.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I agree that the suspension on a stock trailer would be over weight with a cargo trailer being towed behind it.

Another thing to think about. A friend had a jeep being towed behind his Teton. A HP stopped him and told him he had to stop towing the jeep right there. He unhooked the jeep and his DW drove it behind him while in the state then connected it back up when he got to another state. If you have a cargo trailer you may have to disconnect it and leave it. What will you do then? This has happened.
BC