Size shop jack for tire changes?

Kblock108

On my last trip I had a blow out and luckily I was still in cell reception for AAA. Didn't think much if it, but I realized I don't have a jack. There is one dinky one in my 250, but I was looking for something semi light and or portable that I can keep for those scenarios where I don't have reception. Also, anyone know if u can put tpms on your trailer? If so, can anyone suggest a brand or type. After my blow out I was a nervous wreck every time I heard something. Luckily the tire damaged the fender skirt around the double axle, bent the metal support and broke off where the support mounts to the skirt...figured blow outs will happen, not sure if I want to spend the money fixing it the new way, I may just bend the support and maybe drill through the skirt and into the support?

evolvingpowercat

For sure you can put TPMS on your trailer tires. They make ones for RVs that can handle the higher pressure ranges than what auto / truck tires use. They have alarm thresholds for low/high pressure and high temp. There are ones for RV that can even handle 6 tires for 3 axle RVs. They generally have transmitter modules that go in the wheel under the tire stem and have 7 year batteries. Tire dealers must install them.

They are wireless and the receiver goes in your tow vehicle can either be hard wired in or powered from a 12 volt accessory outlet. You did not say what kind of trailer personally I have a light dual axle that only uses 14" class C tires that only use 50 PSI pressure setting so I could use a Orange P409S auto / truck TPMS ( $ 129 at Amazon.com ) and save a few bucks. The systems specifically sold for RVs are about 2X that or more. You can look on Tweedys or Camping World web sites to check out what is out there.

Owenfamily

Hello,

Here are a few links for you to look at.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FSgV7AodHksAwg

Arcan Professional-Quality Aluminum Floor Jack — 3-Ton Lift Capacity, 3 3/4in.–18 1/8in. Lift Range, It is light weight and you can lift anything from a sport car to your truck and trailer.

http://www.tsttruck.com/Home_Page.html The 507 is the newest one around and works great.

On my last trip I had a blow out and luckily I was still in cell reception for AAA. Didn't think much if it, but I realized I don't have a jack. There is one dinky one in my 250, but I was looking for something semi light and or portable that I can keep for those scenarios where I don't have reception. Also, anyone know if u can put tpms on your trailer? If so, can anyone suggest a brand or type. After my blow out I was a nervous wreck every time I heard something. Luckily the tire damaged the fender skirt around the double axle, bent the metal support and broke off where the support mounts to the skirt...figured blow outs will happen, not sure if I want to spend the money fixing it the new way, I may just bend the support and maybe drill through the skirt and into the support?

dbbls59

Regarding a jack, I carry a 6 ton bottle jack and lots of 2 x to stack under it. It will lift the trailer enough to get a tire off but that is about all. I have the TEST 507 TPMS with 6 sensors. These screw onto the valve stems and are the flow through type which allow putting air into the tire without removing them. The batteries will last about a year and are user replaceable. They also make sensors that go inside the tires and replace valve stem on the wheel. The batteries will last about 7 years and must be returned to the factory to be replaced. The monitor mounts on the dash and scans the pressure on all the tires. An alarm will alert you and indicate which tire if the pressure drops below a preset amount. These are nice to have.

happykraut

I have the TEST 507 TPMS with 6 sensors. These screw onto the valve stems and are the flow through type which allow putting air into the tire without removing them.
Not sure if my TST 507 is the same as yours, but on mine the sensors have to be removed to air up the tire. The company is very easy to work with and it is a very popular system.
On the bottle jack, I carry this one http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200318933_200318933 although I have the 6pt levelup on my new rig. I just carry it in case someone needs help on the road.

MTPockets

Get a bottle jack. Small enough to store and plenty of capacity available 6 or 12 ton - got mine at WalMart

Kbvols

+1 with MTPockets...12 ton bottle jack at Walmart $39 some stores carry a line that have a plastic storage/carry case.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've been using a 6 ton bottle jack. I have a compact 12 ton that doesn't have the range I need to get the tires off the ground. I suppose a regular 12T would work but I already have the 6T and it's working fine. Since we don't have level up, I carry an assortment of boards that can be used to go under the bottle jack as needed.

brianharrison

I have a 20 ton simply because it is a higher lift model (less boards to carry). And it is easier to operate for me (more leverage on the handle; less effort to raise the trailer).

Also I only jack on the frame - recommended unless you have a proper attachment to prevent crushing the axle tube (they are thin walled).

Brian

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have a 20 ton simply because it is a higher lift model (less boards to carry). And it is easier to operate for me (more leverage on the handle; less effort to raise the trailer).

Also I only jack on the frame - recommended unless you have a proper attachment to prevent crushing the axle tube (they are thin walled).

Brian

We have two wal-mart 12 ton, work great positioned on either side of the tires on the frame. Raised simultaneously, takes very little effort and is very safe. We use our leveling Lego block packs underneath to get them closer to the frame. Also work as leveling jacks!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374602175.050641.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kblock108

Do you guys use the jacks to level and then place blocks underneath? Probably a basic question, but I'm still learning

MTPockets

Do you guys use the jacks to level and then place blocks underneath? Probably a basic question, but I'm still learning
Havn't used for leveling, just drive onto block(s) for that. Note: if pulling a wheel, keep truck hitched so you don't overload front leg.

Kblock108

Good thought, another basic question...how do u know what side u need to drive up on blocks? Do u park and check, then move the wheel and set up blocks?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I also have a 12 ton bottle jack and I always have my 4x4 cribbing pads with the rig. But, with the Ground Control jacks on the rig, lifting a side to pull a tire is simple.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Good thought, another basic question...how do u know what side u need to drive up on blocks? Do u park and check, then move the wheel and set up blocks?
You will need to get your rig in the position where you will be parked. Then check your level. Move your rig forward or backward, set your blocks and back, or drive up on them.
You will learn from experience how much blocking you will need to get your rig to level.

Peace
Dave

Kblock108

Thanks guys and gals for the info, Dave good info on the leveling. Basic I know, but I get it now. Went out and bought two 8 ton jacks, just in case. What's the perferred leveling blocks that you guys think are the easiest and best to use?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
What worked for me was an assortment of 2x10's and pieces of 1/2" plywood, stored in a plastic milk crate.
Taper the 2x's.
Everyone has their idea of what's best suited for them.

Peace
Dave