EMS-HW50C making noise with generators

sjs731

I installed a Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C in my Sundance in May. Today was the first time I tried it with my Yamaha 2000 Generators. It has worked flawless with shore power but when I started the generators I got an E-9 error which is "data link down". The manual says it just isn't getting a signal yet. Then I got and open ground error, I'm assuming because I have never grounded the generators to anything. I shut the EMS off and tried again but when I turn the AC on in the rig I can feel and hear the EMS buzzing under the stairs where it's mounted. Anyone have similar experience or have any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve and Carrie
HOC# 2252
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Sundance 3300CK

jbeletti

For the open neutral, I believe you need to bond the ground and neutral on the generator. One person did his by buying a 15/20 amp male 3-prong plug and placed a jumper inside of it from the ground to the neutral. He then plugs that into one of the 15/20 amp outlets on the generator.

porthole

Retired
The buzzing you get is the AC overloading your genny when starting.

The low voltage is causing the EMS to disconnect. The noise is actually the relays chattering as the load causes an in and out power supply to the breaker panel.

You either need a bigger genny or, cheaper and easier to try is an AC hard start capacitor kit.

sjs731

The open ground error can be bypassed by using the bypass switch in the EMS.

Thanks Porthole. I had tried this and that is when it allowed power to the rig and that is when I turned the AC on that I got the chattering. I was under the assumption that when you flip the bypass switch you only get surge protection from the EMS and not low/high voltage protection. The EMS works so fast that the generators never get a chance to throttle up.

Steve and Carrie
HOC# 2252
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Sundance 3300CK

brianharrison

You are correct - the EMS only provides surge while bypassed. On my unit I believe it is my transfer switch relays that chatter when the generators are overloaded. Maybe its the EMS - I have not confirmed.

If you have the 2 Honda 2000s in parallel run them to start with the eco switch off. The hard start capacitor in the AC overcomes the large inrush created by the air conditioner.

Brian

wdk450

I have heard of some people installing the EMS using 50 amp plugs and sockets, so that you can easily bypass the EMS if it fails to pass power and you want to keep your electricity going.

porthole

Retired
Bill, Progressive does not recommend using plugs. Don't know why, isn't much different then using a portable. The Hughes Autoformer also works with plugs.

The hardwired EMS can be bypassed if it fails. You have to remove the cover, the cover over the relays, then place a spacer on the center of the relay bar then re-install the relay cover. This manually makes the contact for the through power. Pictures somewhere on my mods thread.

sjs731

For the open neutral, I believe you need to bond the ground and neutral on the generator. One person did his by buying a 15/20 amp male 3-prong plug and placed a jumper inside of it from the ground to the neutral. He then plugs that into one of the 15/20 amp outlets on the generator.

Thanks, Jim! I talked to Progressive and they told me to do this also to bypass the open ground error code. The guy I talked to wasn't sure if I would have to do it on one or both of my Yamahas. I did it to one and it took care of the code. They are also sending me a new display because the bypass switch doesn't always work on mine. Very helpful people at Progressive Industries.

Steve and Carrie
HOC# 2252
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Sundance 3300CK

sjs731

Tomorrow onto the next issue. The EMS still kicks the power off when the A/C tries to start. Only one time did I see the low voltage warning show up but it does it every time. I put a SPP6 capacitor on the A/C unit last year. Not sure if it's faulty or hooked up incorrectly but it doesn't seem to be helping the start up.

Steve and Carrie
HOC# 2252
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Sundance 3300CK

brianharrison

Could be the generators are not putting out full rated load - I have seen this happen with Kipors, but have not seen it with Yamy`s. Might want to try another generator or get yours tested by dealer. Just a thought.

Brian

sjs731

Bingo! With the help of the great people at Progressive Industries I've got it figured out. I installed the new switch they sent so I can bypass the EMS. I also added a hard start capacitor to the A/C unit and it works. There is still a slight chatter from the relays on start up but only for a couple seconds. I guess I assumed I was running 4000 watts into the rig but Progressive's take on that is with 50 amp service it is split 2000 per line and that's where my problems started.

Steve and Carrie
HOC# 2252
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Sundance 3300CK

brianharrison

I guess I assumed I was running 4000 watts into the rig but Progressive's take on that is with 50 amp service it is split 2000 per line and that's where my problems started.

I don't think this is correct, the max power (4000W) will go down either leg depending on the load on that leg. Up to a MAX of 4000W for both legs. I am not an electrician but I am pretty sure the power is not isolated to 2000W per leg.

I do think if the 15K AC is starting up it takes a good amperage and draws down the voltage on my combo Honda 2000s. If there are any other loads (ie converter to charge batteries) I get a bit of relay chatter.

Brian

sjs731

I don't think this is correct, the max power (4000W) will go down either leg depending on the load on that leg. Up to a MAX of 4000W for both legs. I am not an electrician but I am pretty sure the power is not isolated to 2000W per leg.

Brian

That's what I was thinking too Brian. My neighbor is an electrician but isn't home. I was going to ask him. Either way it works for me now even though we've had some record lows in WI and I haven't had to even think about A/C. I can say though that Progressive make an awesome product. I am amazed at how fast it can react to voltage fluctuations.

Steve and Carrie
HOC# 2252
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Sundance 3300CK