Cummins Onan 5500 EVAP or 7000 EVAP?

choprpilot76

I have noticed that the "default" generator from the factory for most of the 5th Wheels seem to be the Cummins Onan 5500. I am looking at a Cyclone 4100. For most of you running large 5th wheels like this with two A/C's, with the Onan 5500, do you ever have enough issues with yours to warrant a recommendation to me to upgrade to the Onan 7000? The dimensions are the same so it will fit, but it gives you another 12.5 amps and the fuel consumption is almost the exact same as the 5500. The price is roughly 1k more. I am COMPLETELY new at RV's and my only concern is popping breakers and overloading the output capability. Keep in mind it will not only be my wife and I in the 5th wheel, but our four kids as well. BTW, I was going to tag this on to a few other simliar threads I found, but they were all labeled "closed thread". Thanks for any advice. Daron

danemayer

Have never had a problem with the Onan 5500 LP genny.

You might want to call Heartland to see if you can even order a 7000 genny. If not I would stay with the 5500. Field installation is difficult and your dealer may not be up to it.

scottyb

I have noticed that the "default" generator from the factory for most of the 5th Wheels seem to be the Cummins Onan 5500. I am looking at a Cyclone 4100. For most of you running large 5th wheels like this with two A/C's, with the Onan 5500, do you ever have enough issues with yours to warrant a recommendation to me to upgrade to the Onan 7000? The dimensions are the same so it will fit, but it gives you another 12.5 amps and the fuel consumption is almost the exact same as the 5500. The price is roughly 1k more. I am COMPLETELY new at RV's and my only concern is popping breakers and overloading the output capability. Keep in mind it will not only be my wife and I in the 5th wheel, but our four kids as well. BTW, I was going to tag this on to a few other simliar threads I found, but they were all labeled "closed thread". Thanks for any advice. Daron

More is better, especially if you could run 3 AC's at the same time. I have never had a problem with the 5500. I have ran both AC's and the water hearter. Can't remember if we ran the microwave at the same time. My only issue has been with the transfer switch and that ended up being due to faulty wiring.

porthole

Retired
Never had an issue with our 5500.
We dry camp at least once a year at Dover speedway and if has always been hot. 2 AC's, water heater coffee pot whatever, never an issue.