Pre Trip Safety Inspections

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Just want to share a short story that may have, "NOT," did save a lot of heart ache, damage and maybe lives. Yesterday morning as we were preparing to leave the NY Rally located in Verona NY, Turning Stone RV Campground I was completing my visiual and physical tire and suspension check. To my behold I found two issues, one was a broken spring hanger weld rendering the rear most spring hanger broken free from the frame. The second was several other welds ready to let go and a twisted leaf spring pack along with twisted and bent bolts of which hold all these items together. Turning Stone helped us locate a local welder, Triple B Welding, owned and operated by Brian. Second call was made to Heartland Landmark division who inturn immediately put me in contact with Lippert. Spoke to Shannon at Lippert he assured me that Lippert will pay for all repairs and will in the future at my availability do a final visiual inspection of the damaged frame. A case number was issued and work authorized WITHOUT any questions or delays. Shannon from Lippert spoke to our welder , Brian who explained his findings and directed him to repair all issues at hand. Numerous documentation photos were taken and job completed within a few hours. Trip home about 3 hours long was uneventful except for a piece of "D" styled weather stripping sliding out from main slide. So the moral of the story is do a visual and physical inspection prior to any trip and maybe after every trip to look for damage which could lead to catastrophic results. I do not know when this happen or how long to has been splitting apart but boy we had an Angel on our coach. Heartland and Lippert were great to deal with and the Welder, Brian, from Triple B. Welding in Winding Hills, NY all were great. Take the time a few short minutes to inspect your investment and your safety.

wdk450

Nice to hear a really positive story on this forum. Three cheers for You (for making a thorough safety inspection), Heartland, Lippert, and Triple B Welding!!!

ILH

I saw Porthole taking some pictures on your site on Monday - I figured he was documenting it for repair purposes. I'd be curious to see what the "pre" pictures looked like - to know what to look for.

Glad to see you got home ok. I guess the roto-zip wouldn't have worked on it, huh? ;)

Vinny773

Jim and Colleen, I'm glad it all worked out and you are both safe back home. I'm glad you spotted all that during your safety check. I am looking forward to our next game of horseshoes.