R.I.P.Verizon 4510L

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My venerable WiFi device met an untimely end this morning. Seems one of the furballs decided it made an excellent landing zone for a wet hairball during the night. Try as I might, I could not get it to work after cleaning it up and out (nasty). Using my Smartphone as a hotspot, I check my Verizon account to be sure it was eligible for upgrade (it was) and contacted the nearest store to the campground. So now, I'm connected with a brand new Verizon 5510L Jetpack and the cord is long enough to put it out of harm's way on the BH3670 desk.

Lesson to be learned: electronics and cat puke don't mix.

JohnDar

It's not all bad. I've got it working easier than when I first got the 4510L. At this moment, I'm monkeying with the wife's IPad with it. She wants a Mini, which I saw at the store, so maybe if she plays her wiles right, she'll get it and I'll take over this tablet.

Always have a backup plan!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

porthole

Retired
only thing keeping me from upgrading my mifi is the unlimited data plan I still have.

3G ain't so bad when there is no limit

Last edited:

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Hey Duane

Not sure if your interested but you can upgrade you devise by paying full price (no upgrade discount) and still keep your unlimited. Thats what we did.

Rod Ditrich

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

JohnDar

We have the unlimited phone and text plan with a shared 8 GB data plan. Since we use cable at home for our Internet unless the cable is on the fritz, it's more than enough for our use.

porthole

Retired
We have the unlimited phone and text plan with a shared 8 GB data plan. Since we use cable at home for our Internet unless the cable is on the fritz, it's more than enough for our use.

Have the same plan with the phones and iPad. The MiFi is a separate account.

We used 7.9+GB last month with the Goshen trip.

Hey Duane

Not sure if your interested but you can upgrade you devise by paying full price (no upgrade discount) and still keep your unlimited. Thats what we did.

The Verizon molls told me no way to keep it, guess I'll try again.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
With an unlimited plan for our AT&T phones, we've been told by AT&T:

1) We used too much data in a non-at&t coverage area (aka: shared network coverage area), and threatened to throttle us.
2) Our data usage was approaching 3GB for a month, and threatened to throttle us.

So apparently, unlimited doesn't really mean unlimited.

Eddhuy

I have been with Verizon Wireless for years and am grandfathered with unlimited data. I use my smartphone as a hotspot and with VZW LTE data, there is no throttling, with 3G data and being in the top 5 percent of data users, you may get throttled. The fastest data connection I've seen with VZW LTE is 50 Mbps download and typically get 30 Mbps download and 10 to 12 Mbps upload. My phone allows 8 devices to connect at once to the hotspot.

happyappy

Duane,

Keep an eye on Craigslist or ebay for a 4g hotspot. I see them come up occasionally and that would be the cheapest way to upgrade without losing your unlimited data.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Sandie

You can't. I had unlimited data for years and upgraded my phone as I needed one with 32g of memory and now I'm on a data plan. Drives me nuts having to monitor it now.

happyappy

How do you get Verizon to activate an "acquired device" without changing the plan?

The key is you can't purchase the device from Verizon with a subsidy. If you bring your own "acquired device" to Verizon, it can be activated as a replacement to your existing device without changing your contract or losing your unlimited data. I know it can be done because I've upgraded phones three times this way.

Check to be sure the rules aren't different for hotspot devices...but I don't think they would be.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Happyappy is correct.
Also if you have an online account you can set up your new acquired device there.

Peace
Dave