Full Timers Insurance, suggestions appreciated

ParkIt

Have had some hold ups getting to full timing but now that I'm 3 weeks out with a less than stellar handling by USAA & Fleet Priority Services, I started digging around to see what the difference is between full timers insurance and what we have now. There is a difference I did not know about which would not be covered by USAA, personal liability with shrinking deductible.
What popped up was Gilbert RV Insurance (along with the usual GS and others) so I called to find out what they offered others do not.

They are geared towards full timers only, full replacement value for the first 5 years of ownership with a $500 deductible that reduces down to $100 by year 5. It seems like they cover all bases quite well for an annual fee of $702 which also includes everything in the unit, factory or personal. Up to $2000 per incident on tow fees as well.

Any others I might want to look at? Has anyone had any experience with Gilbert?

Input appreciated :)

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Check Blue Sky...best full timers insurance we have had in the 8 years we've been at it!

Subdrv

I don't have any recommendations I currently live in one fulltime and work. We have USAA and haven't seen a problem. The wife was told that it would be a problem. The plan is to stop work in the spring of 2014 and really fulltime. Just wondering what issue you had with USAA.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Gilbert's is an agent geared to working with rv'ers and not an insurance company. I myself have a full timers policy through progressive with disappearing deductible that is very reasonable. Shop them directly as it is usually cheaper than going through an agent with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
After shopping several agent / brokers and several ins. co.s direct, I ended up getting the best deal on a GMAC package for both my truck and trailer going through Escapees club. I got quotes for GMAC both direct and thru 3 different agents and for the same coverage and same deductibles, Escapees came in a couple of hundred dollars lower than everyone else. The GMAC coverage on my truck is now $400 a year cheaper than my USAA policy was with higher limits on the GMAC policy! I have been with USAA for 30 years and just paid what they said, never shopping around. Wish I had shopped around years ago.

HornedToad

There is an important issue to be aware of when shopping for "full timers" insurance...

Most companies will endorse physical damage (Comp & Collision) for a recreational trailer on your Personal Auto Policy and the liability for any BI/PD arising from an auto accident (moving) flows from the pulling unit. A lot of companies will write a "full timers" trailer on a separate stand alone policy and this is good as these policies offer expanded premises type liability and options for additional coverages similar to a homeowners policy.

On Personal Auto Policies by definition coverage is limited to vehicles with a GVW under 10,000 to 14,000 lbs. (usually up to a 1 ton truck... F350 or Chevy/Dodge 3500) and liability flows to a trailer whether it's listed or not. On larger trucks over the GVW limit for a Personal Auto Policy you have to write coverage under a Business Auto Policy. On a Business Auto Policy if the Trailer is not specified (listed as a unit on the policy) then the liability flow is limited to utility trailers under 2000 GVW.

So the issue would be if you have a large truck, over the GVW limit for a PAP, insured under a Business (Commercial) Auto Policy and your trailer is insured on a separate stand alone policy and not listed as a unit on the truck policy...

Check with your agent and make sure you have coverage for liability arising out of an auto accident with the trailer. (Clipping someone with the trailer changing lanes or more common backing into something with the trailer)

MTPockets

Blue Sky covered our needs better than others we checked. Instead of me covering here, get their number from Internet and they will work with you very well. An example of their coverage we needed was insurance for items we keep in a secured storage facility. Lots of other things they will advise on that you may not think of now.

ParkIt

Thanks for the input, I've read other threads on various insurers though not too much pops up under "Full timing" coverage. mbowden summed up what I found out after digging around on what covers what - the difference being this as a primary:
Most companies will endorse physical damage (Comp & Collision) for a recreational trailer on your Personal Auto Policy and the liability for any BI/PD arising from an auto accident (moving) flows from the pulling unit. A lot of companies will write a "full timers" trailer on a separate stand alone policy and this is good as these policies offer expanded premises type liability and options for additional coverages similar to a homeowners policy.

This is where USAA falls short though they don't tell you that up front. With the advent of having our unit dropped onto the bed of a licensed/insured/bonded tow company and driver, a crappy first service department and a stellar second service company - they had three claims open at one time which would have raised our rates considerably. Had to fight that one but overall it really got me to looking elsewhere for coverage - they tried to do the same on our homeowners coverage for ONE claim on a newly installed defective house heater. They are great with vehicles but that's about it.

I've seen mention of Blue Sky and looked them up, didn't see a full timers policy so I supposed it would be best to call and find out.
Also a thanks to jassson007 on Gilbert, they didn't say they were a broker when going through a potential policy with them.
Progressive is so-so in ratings and offers about the same as USAA so I'm not really thrilled but its worth checking into.

I'd rather have two policies, one for the 5th wheel, one for the truck since the truck will be in "storage" when the 5er is parked, it chews through too much fuel to use it as a get around vehicle and vice verse since an opportunity has come up for heading much further south in winter and I wouldn't want to haul the unit, it would be prohibitive expense wise.

HappyKayakers

I just finished my search for new fulltiming insurance this week. I've had GMAC through Good Sam but thought they jacked up my rates too much after a claim last year. I started a dialog with Blue Sky via email. My last question went unanswered for almost 2 weeks so they dropped out of consideration. I also contacted Gilbert RV. They routed my request to an insurance agent in CA. He gave me quotes from 2 different insurers, neither of which was very impressive. So, I asked about National Interstate (which was why I contacted Gilbert initially). He got a quote from them which was much better than the previous quotes. It was a little like pulling teeth to get the accurate quote though. The first one came in very low, despite my claim last year. He said it was because they only checked police records and I never called the police about the accident. But the application did have questions about prior claims (3 yrs) so I persisted and he finally overrode his system to get an accurate quote. Starting next week, I'll be covered by National Interstate. BTW, I started off with National Interstate 7 yrs ago but dropped them at some point due to lack of communication from Explorer RV when I had questions prior to renewing.