Towing with overdrive or lower gear

Gas20

Just curious when you tow, primarily with the larger fifth wheels. Do you tow in overdrive with a six speed auto tranny or do you switch down to fifth gear. Will it heat up the tranny or the turbo if you tow in overdrive and of course using the tow haul mode on.

sjs731

I tow our rig in OD. I don't think I've ever seen the transmission read over 170 degrees. Tow/haul mode on also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve and Carrie
HOC# 2252
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Sundance 3300CK

danemayer

I tow with Tow Mode on, usually on cruise control at 55 or 60 and let the transmission figure things out. Works well in all terrain including steep mountain grades. Tranny temp climbs into the low 200s on long, steep grades, but have never had an error message.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I tow with Tow Mode on, usually on cruise control at 55 or 60 and let the transmission figure things out. Works well in all terrain including steep mountain grades. Tranny temp climbs into the low 200s on long, steep grades, but have never had an error message.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

aatauses

I tow with OD, I will sometimes block it when in a lot of traffic and a lot of up/down. Trans temp never goes above 200 and usually is lower
al

Eddhuy

While not the heaviest FW, I tow in tow/haul and it will go into overdrive on its own and running at the same RPM as if it were not in tow/haul mode. I also use cruise control whenever traffic/roads allow it up to 62 MPH max. The engine/tranny seems to figure things out pretty well. I do this over the mountains and on the flats as well.

pegmikef

While not the heaviest FW, I tow in tow/haul and it will go into overdrive on its own and running at the same RPM as if it were not in tow/haul mode. I also use cruise control whenever traffic/roads allow it up to 62 MPH max. The engine/tranny seems to figure things out pretty well. I do this over the mountains and on the flats as well.

Ditto

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Gary, as long as the trans isn't constantly shifting in & out of overdrive, you'll be fine. If your Dodge has a tow haul mode, use it.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
During my last trip I believe I was seeing around 200. Never turn OD off. I usually tow between 60 to 75. Just depends on the roads, traffic conditions, and speed limits. 75mph just happens to be the trailer tires speed ratings but I won't go any faster. Trailer doesn't like it much over that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

Last edited:

jnbhobe

I tow in OD and with and without tow haul, I get less hunting without tow haul because the tranny will shift into 6th gear sooner.

hoefler

In your ram, 5th and 6th are overdrive. I always stick it in drive with tow/haul and exhaust brake on. Let it do its thing. Like said above, if it is hunting, drop a gear, if not 2 to stop it from hunting. I have done this in both my 08 and 10 Rams, with a combined mileage of over 150,000 miles of towing between them with the same fifth wheel, I have never had an issue.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Vary seldom use T/H anymore with the new truck. In D, cruise on and exhaust brake engaged. It does not even shift out of O/D on long hills. Trans temp never over 200*.

porthole

Retired
Most of the time in T/H and cruise.
If the decel downshifting is more aggressive then I care for I dis-engage the cruise as I crest the the hill.

If it think it is downshifting too much I will shift into manual and leave it locked in 6th. If the trailer starts to slow more then a couple MPH's going up I tap down into 5th.

TravisJen

On our Ram, I use T/H just for the fact that I get better use of the exhaust brake because it downshifts more aggressively. Always in OD.

gebills

I find it quite easy to simply use the T/H function with the exhaust brake button engaged and the rig cruises along happy as a clam at high tide. It will bump down to 5th or even 4th gear on occasion, but the system works great and stays in 6th gear most of the time, allowing me to get 11 to 11.2 mpg.. I've never seen my tranny temp over 180..... Ever... GB

wdk450

In my first 3 years of towing the Bighorn, I found I could take the tranny out of Tow/Haul mode on long, flat drives like down the central California Valley on I-5 or Ca99. I found my fuel economy was about 3 mpg better out of tow/haul mode on the same flat, level road. I now use tow haul if going up/down grades, or the EGT starts hitting 1000 degrees in regular (ovedrdrive) mode.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When I'm towing the rig, I use tow/haul and the manual shift option. Don't have an exhaust brake, so being able to use the tranny and downshift works for me. Especially on the way to Goshen in June when my trailer brake controller wasn't responding.