Weights Question

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
We took a trip on 7/12 and I decided to pull through a cat scale as we had most of our stuff that we will always have on board with us as we live in our BC full time. Fuel was 3/4 full and no water or sewer in holding tanks. I have a '08 f 350 4x4 DRW crew cab long bed with front axel rating of 6000 and rear axel rating of 9000 and gvwr of 13000 and gcwr of 23500 according to what I can find online at fifthwheel st website. My weights are as follows: 5440 frt axel, 7220 rear axel, 11200 trailer and 23860 combined. I did not disconnect and weigh truck but I need to but just as we sit I am over 360 on the combined rating. What are the thoughts of those that are familiar with these numbers? I assume I would be ok but just curious.:p

jassson007

No I sure didn't but why I used looks like it came from ford directly. I will go over there and see what I can find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birchwood

I am not sure of your cat scale readings but the max GVWR of the biggest BC is 15500 lbs.Depending on your travels a 3/4 ton would be your required tow vehicle.

jassson007

I am not sure of your cat scale readings but the max GVWR of the biggest BC is 15500 lbs.Depending on your travels a 3/4 ton would be your required tow vehicle.

Your partially right but my question was about the combined rating and the 3/4 ton is even less there. I am also just curious as I have had truck since '09 so it's not like I am looking. I bought the truck with thoughts of a BH instead of the BC but we are happy. I just wanted to know why I would be under all of my weights but still be over combined weight.

pegmikef

I would look elsewhere for GCVWR. 23500 sounds very low for that truck. Did you try the Trailer Life Towing Guides?

I don't know about the GCWR, but my Ford towing guide specs for a 2013 model of your truck says I can tow a fifth wheel weighing 22,200 so I am betting the GCWR is considerable higher than that. I know the specs have changed, but probably not real drastically

Added: I just got off of the Ford forum and it looks like the 2008 model F350 does in fact have a considerably less capability, in fact there two or three entries stating that the max fiver towing capacity is 15,700 and the gcwr is 23,000. They must have really beefed up the newer F350s. Here's a link to these forum entries.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/877466-08-f350-towing-capacity-what-weight-can-it-really-tow.html

jassson007

My '08 tow rating is 15,500 according to what I found at trailer life and what looks to be a for document at www.fifthwheelst.com. Now I I had tow boss package and a 4.88 rear end I could tow up to 33k. Lol

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
It was not until the 2011's came out the weight rating got bumped up on Fords and GM trucks except for Dodge and came in 2013. My 2013 GMC 1tn duelly is rated at 22500K for a 5er and has a GCVW of 31500K. These new trucks should say Peterbilt on them.

priorguy

All the HD truck towing capacities have gone way up, as have the half ton trucks. Park a newer half ton beside an older 3/4 ton and it seems quite a bit beefier. My 2011 F150 is much bigger then my 2000 was, and twice the towing as well. Even my cargo weight is actually 1560lbs (3/4 ton) and could be 1 ton with the max payload package. All the 2014 silverado payloads are over 2000 lbs regardless of box or drivetrain. Definitely want a diesel for my next truck so I can upgrade to a roomy fiver, but the travel trailer and half ton fits better in the budget at this point in time.

bighorn3370

The axles on the truck Handel more weight then the gvw. This is because some trucks get a plow and others may get a utility box on them. So the axles need to Handel that. Yes you are under on the axles but over with the combined. I hope this helps Ernie

jassson007

I don't know about the GCWR, but my Ford towing guide specs for a 2013 model of your truck says I can tow a fifth wheel weighing 22,200 so I am betting the GCWR is considerable higher than that. I know the specs have changed, but probably not real drastically

Added: I just got off of the Ford forum and it looks like the 2008 model F350 does in fact have a considerably less capability, in fact there two or three entries stating that the max fiver towing capacity is 15,700 and the gcwr is 23,000. They must have really beefed up the newer F350s. Here's a link to these forum entries.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/877466-08-f350-towing-capacity-what-weight-can-it-really-tow.html

I'll check that out. Now to just win the powerball and buy that freighliner m2 that I drool over all the time...lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk