ATF: ElkRidge - tire pressure

tfires

i have 2012 34trse, tire size is ST235/80 R 16 E rateing. i have had 3 tire blow outs on it, 2 tires in a 400 mile trip. before every trip, i cheek tire pressure, i had 75. 5 psi in each tire. on side wall of tire it says 80 psi, is this what caused the blow out? i drive no more than 67 miles a hr. i have been told to go to a higher rateing tire. over a 1000. dollars of damge to camper now. in a week be takeing a drive 300 miles. any info would be helpful.

danemayer

Hi tfires,

Sorry to hear about your tire troubles.

Tire blowout discussions generate heated opinions. Tire experts are pretty uniform that most blowouts are caused by heat damage to the tire's internal structure, or by weakening the internal structure by running over curbs or similar obstacles. They also say that manufacturing defects cause some failures, but a minority.

One of the problems in figuring out the why is that damage doesn't cause an immediate blowout. Heat damage caused by under inflation, overloading, or driving too fast may be followed by a blowout months later. Btw, you should have your tires at 80psi and your max speed no more than 65 - lower being better.

Some people recommend you should move to a G rated tire (and if necessary to wheels with a 110psi rating), noting that Goodyear G614 tires have a very good rep. They have quite a bit more steel protecting the internal structure from damage. They're rated for higher speeds. When fully inflated, they carry 3750 pounds, providing significant margin relative to E rated tires. Combining all these factors, the chance of a future blowout would be pretty low. Of course none of this comes for free; they also cost quite a bit more.

Others will recommend E rated tires that seem to have a better rep. But it's hard to tell if the better rep is because of higher quality, or if the number in use is so low that whatever incidents occur don't generate a lot of failure reports.

I'm sure your post will generate a bunch of responses.

Owenfamily

Hello tfires,

I suggest you take a look at Maxxis 10 Ply. I have the same trailer and had a blowout on the way home from a 300 mile trip after one year and the whole tire came off near the house. The next day I go online and on HERE and asked around. I called discount tire and order four new Maxxis. I have had mine on for more than a year and have driven a lot of miles. I don't keep count ( I know shame on me ) but they have done me and a lot of people very well. It was around $1000 for all 4 but the peace of mind is priceless. You might want to also look at this link. http://www.tsttruck.com/. It is cheap insurance and might save you a lot of money down the road.

David

i have 2012 34trse, tire size is ST235/80 R 16 E rateing. i have had 3 tire blow outs on it, 2 tires in a 400 mile trip. before every trip, i cheek tire pressure, i had 75. 5 psi in each tire. on side wall of tire it says 80 psi, is this what caused the blow out? i drive no more than 67 miles a hr. i have been told to go to a higher rateing tire. over a 1000. dollars of damge to camper now. in a week be takeing a drive 300 miles. any info would be helpful.

Sumo

tfires, I have E rated tires with 80 psi. I look at the tires before each trip, at each stop along my route and I drive at 65. I believe I'm doing everything I can to ensure a safe tire problem free trip. Here is a pic from my last outing, $1000.00 in damage, tire had less than 600 miles. Good Luck Safe travels.

2013-07-01 08.12.03.jpg

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
X2 for Maxxis 8008. Have had them on our ElkRidge for probably 25k miles, and no issues at all.

Contact Tredit, if you kept the tire they may want to see it or pics, and may give you some compensation for it.

So sorry for your 'loss'.

Erika

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tfires

thank everone for the info on my tire promblem, i decided to go to a truck tire, i have put 650 miles on them and no blow outs. LT235/85R16.

Gas20

I have the same rv and the same tire. I check the tires religiously before and during a trip, I keep the tire pressure at 80 lbs., they are 2 to 3 years old, and have not had a problem. I took a trip to Virginia and Tennessee from Florida and no problems.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have the same rv and the same tire. I check the tires religiously before and during a trip, I keep the tire pressure at 80 lbs., they are 2 to 3 years old, and have not had a problem. I took a trip to Virginia and Tennessee from Florida and no problems.

Good to hear! We very rarely hear the people with NO problems with TowMax.

How fast do you drive, what do you tow with, and how much does your coach weigh? How does the tread look? What types of roads are you towing on?
How many miles on the RV? Do you treat the tires with anything? Do you cover them when not in use? Have you had them balanced? How is your alignment? Do you use a tpms system? What's the average outdoor temperature you are pulling in?

I am curious what might be making the difference between your experience and others'. With so many variables that can cause tire issues, I'm curious what you've been doing right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk