Air bags for truck

Jim64

I have a 2013 GMC 2500 HD Duramax with Allison trans. Will I need air bags with a 3260 Elite, dealer says no?

danemayer

Re: Air bags for trk.

Hi Jim64,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions shortly. Let me start by saying the the 3260 Elite when loaded with your stuff, could easily have a pin weight over 2500#. If you add hitch weight, tools, passengers and pets, bed liner, bed cover and anything else you're carrying, you'll likely be over the payload spec on the truck. You can check this out in more detail at Fifth Wheel Safe Towing.

iawoody2

I have a 2013 GMC 2500 HD Duramax with Allison trans. Will I need air bags with a 3260 Elite, dealer says no?

On my F250 I added the Timbren overloads. They just replace the factory jounce bumpers, and installed in about 30 minutes. Mine ride just above the axle when unloaded and just slightly depressed when loaded. I think they work great. Just my opinion though.

Owenfamily

Air bags will help with the ride and also help to level the fifth wheel out. It will keep your truck from pointing up and the back sagging. I have them and really like them. A lot of people don't use them.

scottyb

Depends on whether you want the truck to ride level. My airbags also seem to have improved the performance of my 5th Airborne pin box. After installing them, they seem to help dampen the bumps even more.

Jim.Allison

Considered the Timbrens, but went with the airlift 5000 ultimates which have an internal jounce. And my two cents says the airbags noticeable improved the empty ride of my 2013 Ram 2500, with just 20 LBS of inflation, I have not towed with them yet.
On my F250 I added the Timbren overloads. They just replace the factory jounce bumpers, and installed in about 30 minutes. Mine ride just above the axle when unloaded and just slightly depressed when loaded. I think they work great. Just my opinion though.

Last edited:

GlenStMary

I have the Airlift 5000 Ultimate's on my Ford 350 and they have noticeably improved the ride when the truck is empty, when towing my livestock trailers, or with my Landmark attached. With the Airlift compressor and console installed all it takes to get the perfect ride is a little push of a button. I wouldn't enjoy the truck as much without the air suspension system. I look at it this way, these things are like having a cellphone, you may not need all the bells and whistles, but they sure do make your life easier and/or a bit more enjoyable.

Lynn1130

Need them? Probably not. But if you want the ride smoothed out some and to prevent the headlights from shining in trucker's eyes then yes they are a big help.

The change in front end height on my truck without airbags was not really evident but at night I could see the difference in the headlight angle and I got "flashed" several times so decided to put them on. It also made a difference in the ride and I am not sorry I did it. They are not difficult to install, I did mine in a few hours.

Jim64

Took quite awhile for me to answer, I apologize, Thanks for all the input, bought the Bighorn 3260 Elite. Truck pulls it very well and does not squat too much but I will probably beef up the suspension some later. Thanks for the all the advice.

yport

I gotta 2nd that one Bob ... same thing on my F250 ... when I first went to the dealer to inquire about putting airbags on for my 5'er in 2009 he said why in the world do you want airbags instead of a Timbren Suspension System. I didn't know Timbren at the time. Why bother with airing up and down all the time. They work great, and later found out the Boston plow/sand trucks use them in all their trucks too. Never have to think about airing them or checking them ... and they only engage when you need them too.

scottyb

I had Timbrens on my 3500 Chevy. They are a less expensive alternative. They worked very well for hauling the Cyclone but were terrible if I hauled anything medium weight like my Mule on a trailer. It was just heavy enough to engage the Timbrens but not heavy enough to keep from bouncing down the road. I hauled it about 600 mi like that and removed them for the return trip home. I installed Firestones on my new truck and feel they are superior, at least for my use.

jnbhobe

I had Timbrens on my 3500 Chevy. They are a less expensive alternative. They worked very well for hauling the Cyclone but were terrible if I hauled anything medium weight like my Mule on a trailer. It was just heavy enough to engage the Timbrens but not heavy enough to keep from bouncing down the road. I hauled it about 600 mi like that and removed them for the return trip home. I installed Firestones on my new truck and feel they are superior, at least for my use.
I have used many sets of Timbrens on different trucks until I tried air bags and found the error in my ways.