Newbie - Big Country 3500RL

ky-newbie

Hello,

Let me say I'm really impressed with the Heartland Forum :) . Being a techie myself, it's a great resource. I hope you all don't mind several general questions. I went through the FAQ, and didn't find answers.

I'm thinking of purchasing my first RV, a Big Country 3500RL. I would be full-timing, though not using a TV. My plans are to purchase an RV, and have it delivered to a site. I would be there for 3-6 months, possibly up to a year. (Temporary computer consulting positions would be my employment. ) I might have to relocate to another state once the current position expires, or might be able to stay put. The expense of a TV would be a bit much, what with moving the RV once a year, or even less (IMO).

Here are my questions:

1) Biggest concern: I'm concerned about safety during high winds and storms. I've had salesmen tell me everything from "10 mph wind? You gotta find somewhere else to stay" to "I've been in one with 60 mph winds - no problems". I realize if severe weather is coming (tornado's), I'd have to vacate the RV. How about "normal" winds - 10-40 mph? I've read about tie-down systems - do they really help?

2) Is water condensation on the windows a constant during cold weather? Does it require daily maintenance to keep things from ruining?

3) Are schematics/detailed floorplans (incl. walls, roof, joist locations, etc.) available? I'm a handyman, and wouldn't want to cut a hole in some wires by mistake. ;)

4) I understand RV's depreciate, like automobiles. What's the average time for the unit to be totally depreciated? (10 years - the unit's worth $0?)

5) If I park the RV in one spot for a year (living in it), are there any long-term issues? (Would the tires rot, need to be deflated so the unit rests solely on the jacks, etc.)

6) The units on eBay seem to have really low-ball prices. I've contacted a couple of sellers, and they say I'd only have to pay sales tax or some other minor fee. The listed price is the price. Any add-on schemes or other additions I might need to know about?

7) The eBay sellers include up to 1,000 miles of free delivery. If I purchased one there, when would I take title - when the bidding stopped, or when they delivered it to my site? (When would it be my unit? If they scratched it up during the trip, would my insurance have to pay, or would theirs? etc.)

8) And finally, one I think I know the answer already. If I buy an eBay unit from Michigan, and I'm in Kentucky, how would the local dealer (not Heartland) feel about service? I assume they wouldn't be very happy about it.

Thanks for any feedback!

Lannie

nscaler2

Where to buy it.

I don't know all the answeres to the the questions that you have posted regarding long term full time living in the RV. However, you would do well to talk to these people about purchasing your BC3500RL. http://www.rvsforless.net/ They are in Tennessee a lot closer to you than Michigan. They have a reputation for being a VERY GOOD and honest dealer. Also from some of the reports here on the forum you might find that they will come close to they same pricing as the ebayers.

jpmorgan37

Tom is correct about RV's for Less. There is no bait and switch with them. What they say is what it is. Also, to answer one of your questions. I would consider something more in the line of a Bighorn or Landmark if you are planning on living in it full time. We fulltime in our Landmark and some of our members fulltime in a Bighorn. Several options that you should definitely consider are two AC's with Heat Pumps and Dual Pane windows. That's just a start, but I'm sure others will add more.

As far as the wind is concerned, we have been in ours in 60+ mph winds. It did shake but it didn't feel uncomfortable at all.

Depreciation is so dependent on the it's condition when you get ready to sell it verses what you paid for it initially and how long you keep it. The first year will be the worst. After about three years, it tends to be minimal up until about six or seven years. Go to this website and you can see what used units are selling for: Used RV's

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Lannie, I'll chime in with my 2 cents.
As JPMorgan said, we've also been in some high wind with no problems. A little shake but that's about all. Water condensation on the windows can be greatly reduced with the dual pane window option. Regarding schematics, I know others have asked for them but haven't been able to get them. As far as I know, there is no wiring in any outside wall. Most other areas are easy to figure out where the wiring runs. The long dinette/couch slide has an outlet in the wall. We full time and if we're in a spot for more than a few weeks, we spend 8 or 10 bucks on some concrete blocks and use aluminum camper jacks in front of and behind the axles to eliminate bounce in the trailer. Cover your tires and don't worry about air inflation levels until you move the rig. I too have heard good things about RV's for less. Also as JP said, a Landmark or Bighorn may be a better choice for a home. I hope this helps a bit.

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
I am kind of curious about something. I have been following this thread and see that some are suggesting moving to a Bighorn or a Landmark. Is there a reason for that? We walked through a Big Country and thought it was nice, just didn't have all the amenities us, as a couple, would want. Ok, not all that I would want, chuckles. While we were waiting on some paperwork stuff on our Bighorn, at time of purchase, I walked through some of the small TT's that were on their lot because my Husbands son was thinking about going on the road for work. I thought, if I was single, I could live in this. I think that a single person needs a lot less than a couple so are there some inherent reasons in the suggestions to buy the Landmark or Bighorn vs the Big Country for fulltiming?

jpmorgan37

I agree, the Big Country is a beautiful fifth wheel and is an excellent value. But, and this is just my opinion, although Heartland (as well as most manufacturers) do not state that their RV's are designed as a fulltimers coach, many of us are using them for that purpose. That being said, some of the components installed in the Bighorn and the Landmark, as well as some of the options available, are more suited to fulltimer use. When you are living in approximately 350 to 380 square feet of living area, (the size of an average living room in a stick built house) it is going to get a lot more use over the course of the year. Items such as insulation, heated and sealed underbelly, propane capacity, refrigerator size, tank capacities and more are better suited to a fulltimers use. Again, these are my opinions, but things that we considered when we chose the Landmark for a fulltiming coach, and we have not been disappointed at all in our decision.

John

ky-newbie

Thanks!

Thanks for all the feedback. RV's for Less is around three hours from me - I'll take a drive down there, and check out the Bighorn/Landmark.

ky-newbie

RV's For Less

Well, I have to say I'm impressed with "RV's For Less" in Knoxville, TN. I emailed them Friday evening, and he called me at lunch today. We talked for over 15 minutes (on his nickel). After hearing my situation (having never stayed overnight in an RV but thinking I wanted to full-time it), he advised me not to purchase a new unit, but to look for a good used one. If I like the RV lifestyle, then I should think about a new unit.

He's got a bunch of units coming in over the next two weeks, including a 3055, 3670, etc. He seemed very knowlegible. Thanks for the tip!

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
When I was a young girl, my family used to camp over on Vancouver Island every year, same place. We were always in a tent and us kids loved it so much that it got to the point we would pack up the day after school ended, go over with my Mum and my Dad would come over on weekends. During those years I became friends with a couple that had a motorhome. They summered on VI and wintered in Mexico. I thought they were about the luckiest people in the world, their coach seemed like a mansion even though I was raised in a six bedroom, five bathroom house, lol.

Five years ago I met my Husband and we started camping at a really nice campground reserved for Shell employees. I would be down there all summer while Himself was working and he would came home to the campsite at night. I made friends with a great retired couple that also fulltimed as well as many other people camping down there in various rigs. We had many discussions with the friends we made down there about their fulltiming lifestyle and it was at that time that we decided that we wanted a fifth wheel.

Our plan was to do so when Himself retired but he ended up with a new job that took him all over the country for a few month stint at a time. After a couple of seperatations we realized the only "sensible" thing to do was move up our plans of fulltiming to NOW. We thought we knew we wanted to do this but decided to go with a used fifth wheel as a learning time. We bought a '94, 36 ft Coachmen in great shape and packed up the house and off we went. We had committed ourselves to living in it for at least a year so that we could know for sure what we wanted. First thing I learned was I wanted a slide in the bedroom and counterspace lol. Six months later, we were driving the sixty miles to do our grocery shopping/banking when we saw a dealership with a name brand I hadnt seen before "Bighorn" and the rest is history, so to speak.

This long letter about my dreams et al is really just to say, I think that salesman is pretty smart suggesting easing into this with a used unit. It will give you a real chance to learn what you need, what you can live without, what would be nice to make your life more comfortable etc and even whether you can adjust to small space living. Even though I had thought I wanted to do this since I was a child, you just don't know until you try it.

nhunter

We also bought a used and made sure it was what we wanted before we bought or Bighorn. You learn what you like/ dislike and if you even like it. But like Oldlthrnecksgirl, Momma wanted a bigger kitchen and bedroom. I have only been in one bad windstorm that was right at the driver side if trailer and was physically pushing in the tops of all three slides. I slid in the slides and battened down the hatches and we were fine. Had one terriffied three year old though:eek: