Wider is better

kkamshop

I would like to see the Landmark body widened to 102 inches. That would allow deeper slides. And take it to a new level above the Bighorn.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I think in many states that might put it over the non permit limit. But then, I'm working from memory and we know what that is like as we get more mature 😊.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theresau

I don't think they would make the Landmark any wider than the BH and BC since they are run on the same line.

My understanding is that the Open Range is that wide.

I would like to see the Landmark body widened to 102 inches. That would allow deeper slides. And take it to a new level above the Bighorn.

Couldn't agree with you more. We were talking about the same thing last night. As far as it being legal in all states as mentioned above doesn't bother me. DRV's are all over the states;)
This really would take it to the next level. Hopefully it wouldn't be accomplished by extending the gussets on the same frame though...

dewwood

102" is legal everywhere but that is the total dimension including any protrusions like awning bars. I think the makes that offer that are actually 100" to 101" real width with the awning bars making up the total. I do agree that it is nice because a couple of inches here and a couple there in an RV can make quite a difference in comfort level.

jbeletti

I just checked on this with Kary, the GM for LM/BH. There are no present plans to go wider on our products.

Dave49

Many motorhomes are 102" in width. Don't see it as a problem legally. But do see it as a cost nightmare at first for Heartland. Different frames for just one brand doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But do agree with the fact of being a very nice option.

porthole

Retired
Build the LM on the Cyclone chassis - thumbs up!

101" max 102, and the max width does not include appurtenances (RV's) sticking out. If it did all the toy haulers would be illegal with the awning on one side and the ladder on the other.
101's is one of the reasons the DRV's look so big.

From Cal Trans:
35103. (a) A recreational vehicle may exceed the maximum width if the excess width is from an appurtenance that does not exceed six inches beyond either sidewall. (b) An appurtenance is an integral part of a vehicle and includes awnings, grab handles, lighting equipment, cameras, and vents. An appurtenance may not be used as a load carrying device.
35109. Lights, mirrors, or devices which are required may extend beyond the permissible width no more than 10 inches on each side.

I have found similar verbiage in other state regs.

wildwolfproducts

My Key Largo is over 102 now. When the drivers haul them from the factory, they have to buy a over width permit to pull them. If they widen them out to 102 at the sides. Think of how wide they would be when with awning's on both sides on the slides?
Pete

kkamshop

What got me started on this subject a friend of mine has a DRV and we were measuring them side by side. If you could take the roof off of his DRV you could set my Landmark inside his DRV.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I remember years back, California was citing RVs that were over the 102" max. Awnings were the culprit. I don't know if there's been any resolution to the law and how it affects RVs but an extra few inches would be nice. Then there's the 399 Sq.Ft. thing with the RVIA. I know it might put some of the larger ones with 4 or 5 slides over that number.

hriker

I believe DRV was called Doubletree RV at one time. When I googled Doubletree RV, DRV Suites was the top hit.

bpe

Correct. The hotel chain was also called that. Hotel won. On topic though, only issue stopping me from buying a Landmark is the lack of wide body. If you have never lived in one might be different. They look very cramped after living in my DRV.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Increase the price of the Landmark to the Elite Suites or even the Mobile Suites and maybe it would be cost effective for Heartland RV. Have you ever toured the DRV factory? I have and it is so clean and organized that you would think it is closed. But then again they do not make the number of RV's that Heartland does. Comparing the DRV products to Heartland products is like comparing apples to grapes. IMHO

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Correct. The hotel chain was also called that. Hotel won. On topic though, only issue stopping me from buying a Landmark is the lack of wide body. If you have never lived in one might be different. They look very cramped after living in my DRV.

When we were shopping to upgrade the final decision came down to DRV and Landmark....for us the decision was made after parking them next to each other, spending the day going from one to the other, and realizing the Landmark felt much bigger...especially in the living room and kitchen area. Brought it to the salesman's attention...surprised him too! Wide body didn't realty make the DRV feel bigger at all...

I remember years back, California was citing RVs that were over the 102" max. Awnings were the culprit. I don't know if there's been any resolution to the law and how it affects RVs but an extra few inches would be nice. Then there's the 399 Sq.Ft. thing with the RVIA. I know it might put some of the larger ones with 4 or 5 slides over that number.

The RVIA now states that 430 sq ft is the max, I believe it changed in 2009.

porthole

Retired

Ray, did you see the snippet I posted above from California?