Toilet problem

MichaelM

I live in a camper at a trailer park.

When I flush, the water doesn't drain completely, and slowly fills more and more until it overflows if I keep flushing.

If I drain the bowl completely by scooping out the water and waste with a bowl, and then flush, there is a backflow that partially fills it with dirty water, basically a little waste and taters of toilet-tissue paper.

And then it's back to square one, where continously flushing slowly fills the bowl faster than it is draining and eventually overflows after a minute or two.

danemayer

Hi MichaelM,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

Is this something new? Did the black tank empty normally last time you dumped it? Have you checked to see if it's empty now?

Rickhansen

MichaelM,
I'm not sure I fully understand your description of the problem you are having, but I have a sneaky suspicion. Is the "backflow" coming up through the toilet drain? What is your operating procedure for draining and flushing the black tank?

I'm guessing that you leave your black water tank dump valve open all the time, maybe?

Your toilet is plumbed to holding tank (~40 gal). The dump valve is meant to be closed all of the time, except when the tank approaches being full, then you open the valve and hook the hose to the black tank flush connection. The force of the fluids is used to move the solids down through your sewer connection. If you leave the black water tank dump valve open, when flush the toilet, the liquid flows out and the solids build up in the bottom of the tank. They dry out and stick on. When they reach the level near the bottom of the pipe that you toilet dumps into the tank, stuff starts backing up.

If this sounds like the case, these "clogs" can be very difficult to clear. You would need to repeatedly close the dump valve, fill the tank with water, let it "soak" and then drain while using the tank flusher. You might want to add toilet bowl cleaner or drain cleaner while the tank "soaks" to break down the "piles of puckey" in the tank.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If the situation is as Rickhausen suggests, you might need to use a toilet wand via the bowl to move the pile after letting it sit with the tank filled with water to soften it up. That will require running a hose into the trailer to supply the wand with water and shutting off the city water into the trailer. Trying to run the wand from the lavatory sink (w/faucet adapter) will reduce the flow to it since the toilet will continually flush while you're working. And while doing this, have the tank valve open.