Cooking a Turkey,,,

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
We bought a propane oven size turkey, lol,,, about 11 pounds. Has anyone cooked a turkey yet? What temp? How long? Any tips?? I have noticed that the bottom of things burns sometimes in the propane oven which is my main reason for asking, thank you in advance and Happy Thanksgiving (to the Americans ;) )

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Old girl
If you put a 12" terracotta floor on the rack above the flame it will take out the hot spot above the flame. We have a thick aluminum BBQ grate in ours and bakes with no burning.
Rand

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
Thanks for the great idea Sailor. For today, using your suggestion, I have turned over a cast iron skillet, hopefully that will work as well as the terra cotta until I can get that,,, Elizabeth

SmokeyBare

Liz,

Sailor is right... I've used a simple red tile from Home Depot or Lowe's. They are the ones that are not glazed... and when it breaks and it probably will... Don't worry about it too much as it's for heat shield from the flame below the oven bottom. It's pretty low cost as well, far less costly than a pizza oven stone.

Might want to cook the bird breast side down for part of the cooking time... tin foil straps placed below the bird helps with lifting for the second half cooking time. The Beast is thicker on the breast side and it helps to have that toward the heat first. I feel it also helps baste it that way. You might find more info on the Food Network web site for that issue.

My Bride said she finds this oven is far better than any we have had in our past RV's. She's just finished making an apple, Pumpkin, and pecan pies as well as several small size pies for the GrandKids.

Have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING !!

tdharley

You can also buy firebrick at Home Depot. It is 3/4" thick and made to take the heat.

Heres a tip I learned from Harts Turkey Farm http://www.hartsturkeyfarm.com/ at a motorcycle rally.

They cook their birds upside down to keep all the juices in the breast. For the last hour they turn it over to brown.

Pulltab

Oldlthrnecksgirl said:
We bought a propane oven size turkey, lol,,, about 11 pounds. Has anyone cooked a turkey yet? What temp? How long? Any tips?? I have noticed that the bottom of things burns sometimes in the propane oven which is my main reason for asking, thank you in advance and Happy Thanksgiving (to the Americans ;) )

You need to talk to Kathy of KaKampers! She does it all the time and it turns out GREAT!!! She is a wiz at cooking with these ovens~

seabee

Oven cooking with propane

We use a pampered chef baking stone or the air bake cookie sheet will work we did one in ours for thanksgiving cool in a bag 3/4 the way and finished it on the smoker always a hit.
SeabeeNone