Door construction.....

oscar

The patio/loading door was out, and we had some overnight down pours..... Looking at the trim around the edge, I suspect some water got in there. So, I'm wondering if this was taken into account when designed and built? Does anyone know the construction of the door? Any waterproofing? Any concerns?

Thanks.

Last edited:

iowaone

I have wondered the same thing. I have mine out some in the rain in the sine April. So far no problems. But I hope we get more information on how well sealed it is.

danemayer

Guys,

There have been a few past threads about damage to Lippert garage doors where the wood was damaged from water intrusion. Best I recall, the fix was an expensive door replacement with very expensive shipping charges. I don't think it was on patio decks, but like any area of your RVs, if the wood gets wet, you'll be unhappy with the end result.

scottyb

One area of concern is around the bolt holes for the hinges. There was a thread on here a while back about water getting in there and causing problems. I checked mine and sure enough there's no caulking around the bolt heads. This is a high stress area due to the spring tension and subject to failure.

iowaone

I tried to seal all the edges, trim and bolts with caulk but I sure hope the patio door was built to be out in the rain. Otherwise sure makes for a hassle to use it.

danemayer

The roof of the trailer is built to be out in the rain and you have to check it on a regular schedule and re-caulk to prevent leaks and damage.

You might want to inspect and maintain the patio/door even more frequently unless you think it's built to be more water tight than the roof.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

oscar

The roof of the trailer is built to be out in the rain and you have to check it on a regular schedule and re-caulk to prevent leaks and damage.

You might want to inspect and maintain the patio/door even more frequently unless you think it's built to be more water tight than the roof.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Define "inspect and maintain" ?

porthole

Retired
Since patio ramps are different then non patio versions, I'm "sure" the door is built to different specs :)

The odds are pretty good if you are using the ramp as a patio it will on occasion see rain.

danemayer

Define "inspect and maintain" ?
Hi oscar,

I don't have a toy hauler, so I can't give you any specific tips. But I would inspect for places where water could get into the interior of the door. Scottyb mentioned the bolt holes for the hinges. You mentioned trim around the edge. Are these areas already caulked? Is the caulking in good shape. Does water drain off the patio or does it pool? Just common sense stuff.

Duane's suggestion is that maybe Lippert designed and built the patio doors differently because they're likely to get rained on. That's a good thought. But I notice he said he was "sure". (His quotes).

I guess I've seen enough posts about water damage that I'm just trying to raise awareness. Maybe it'll save someone some trouble somewhere down the road.

This is a big concern I have too. the patio door has aluminum trim around the edge on the inside of the door, not caulking, so if it rained on it, water would run under it, so is it sealed water tight under the trim? This is why I close my door, but having to load up in the rain cant be avoided all the time.

oscar

The fact that none of the HL folks are here to alleviate our concerns does not give me the warm and fuzzies.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
The fact that none of the HL folks are here to alleviate our concerns does not give me the warm and fuzzies.

Oscar,

Heartland does not monitor all of the areas of this forum. To get an answer from AJ Jones or from Heartland in general I would suggest you contact them at the 800 number and ask to speak to AJ. Due to his schedule I have found that I often need to leave a message and wait for a return call. That usually I have gotten within a day or so.

You can also send AJ a PM, but again he is not on this forum at all times... I have had quick responses from him going that route as well... ( mostly in the off season )

Kevin