Backing unit

chardel

Not sure of the best place to ask this question! My daughter wants us to stay in her driveway when we go down to GA this winter for a visit. We are not sure we could get the Bighorn (3055 RL being pulled by Dodge truck) into the drive without going into the neighbors yard across the street. Having just gotten the 5th wheel and brought it home to prepare for the trip just after Christmas, we have not had an opportunity to practice a lot and still don't know exactly how much space it takes to maneuver the unit. We were wondering if is possible (easy - moderately difficult - very difficult) to back such a unit into a driveway from a standard width street? Her drive is plenty long enough for the unit but a little on the narrow side as I think it is only a single width at the street and for some distance back and then widens out at the garage to double width. Her street also ends in a cul-de-sac and we are a little concerned that if we get into her street and find it too difficuly to back into the drive, turning around in the cul-de-sac may also be a challenge. Any comments from those who may have thoughts on this "project" would be appreciated.

jpmorgan37

Del;
It shouldn't be a problem turning around in a Cul-de-sac. I have amazed myself at some of the places I've been able to turn around. As far as backing into the driveway, get two walkie talkies and have Charlotte on one and you on the other. The one that is driving, listen and be patient. The one that is watching, speak softly and clearly (without any explitives). Remember that you are the drivers eyes and can see what the driver can't.
You shouldn't have to go into the neighbors yard as long as the street is clear. Just keep calm and be patient with each other. It has worked for Sue and I for years.

John

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I just spent a little over a week in my niece's back yard. The previous owner had set up the area to park an RV in, but only built a gate 9ft wide. The first time we had, my brother-in-law, my neice, and my wife, giving directions. I tried to be as patient as I could be, but ended up taking out part of the gate and scratching the rig. Anyone that knows me would have been totally amazed at my restraint. lol When the wife and I took it, a few days later, to dump there was only she and I there to back it in. We work well as a team and it went in without a hitch. I have to wholeheartedly second the opinion that only the driver and one watcher should be involved in the evolution. You will find that you will need to jockey back and forth a, few times, to get it lined up so that you can back it in on a straight line. What really helped me, was to stop and get out and walk to the back of the rig, now and then to have a look for myself. It gives you a much better perspective of where you are and where you need to go.
Best of luck and just take your time and things should go without a hitch.
Fred and Elizabeth

vangoes

Chardel,
I too have a 3055 and had reservations about getting it into my driveway from a standard width housing development cul-de-sac street. To relieve your concerns, it is much easier than you would think.....and a lot easier than it was to back my previous motorhome into. The primary thing is to get your approach correct by pulling past the driveway and nosing the unit towards the opposite side of the street at an angle before you start to back in. This makes the turn less sharp thus resulting in less of a swing with the nose of your TV; thereby keeping it out of the neighbors yard. Good luck.

K

Ken Washington

Del,
Try to work it out to turn to your left so that you can see the trailer better and where it is going and when to start straightening up. Also, maybe pulling straight in would work out better for you. Hope you the best and go slow. It will be fine. I have confidence in you!

Ken

Tom of Ypsi

If you only have to go down a couple of houses you may want to back down the street and then into the drive. My brother has to do this on occassions when some of his neighbors across the street are parked in the street.

ChopperBill

The house across the street from us is rental where the yard was left to turn to weeds. The first time I brought ours home I drove half way up into his yard. Did the trick. :D

SmokeyBare

Del,
With a Little patientces You should do fine. I agree that a pair of small walkie-talkies sure help prevent the shouts out the window when your second pair of eyes has dissapeared behind the Trailer... Not that I don't still fuss when that happens... but it's not so the Whole Neighborhood hears.

I've been in some real tight spots.... Heck I've even parked on top of a Sidewalk... as I grabbed the map from Navigator/Bride.... to figure out where we are. Yes... we are talking about one more tool to assist us on our Adventure... a GPS..

We're parked just northeast of Atlanta Georgia... in a place called Jones RV Park. Exit 101 off I-85 . Bring your warm jacket... it's going to be a Chilly Christmas for you. We did December here last year... and had several days of below freezing weather to put up with.

Good Luck...

Jimmyt5

If all else fails watch the movie The long Long trailer with Lucille Ball
For a lesson in backing up.....None

jpmorgan37

Golly Jim;

I thought that I was the only one that remembered that. I still use one of Lucy's lines from that. "Turn right here--left" as Desi makes a quick right turn. I loved that movie.

John

chardel

Thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement. Vangoes, how far past the drive have you found best for setting up the back of the trailer before starting to back into the driveway? I have noticed already in the little I have backed it that the trailer does not start to turn very quickly. Would 10 feet past be a good starting point? or more or less? I can pull past the drive which will be on my left before starting to back in but she has a brick column mailbox on the far side of the drive entrance so going past the entrance with any part of the trailer on the far side would not be good!! Cutting the turn into the drive a little short would be ok as it would just cut across a piece of her grass but would need to end up straight in the driveway in order to open slides because of bushes and trees further back in the drive.

Forrest Fetherolf

Backing 5er's is a matter of practice, practice, practice. I bought 12-12" tall orange cones. Place the cones on both sides to create a 10' wide path into your space. This allows you to see the cones on either side. Keep the rig between the cones and you will not wipe out.

Forrest

vangoes

Del,
Like Sailorand said, go a little further than what you think you need. If you short yourself it makes the initial turn and the straightening up much sharper and more difficult. Pass by the driveway hugging the driveway side of the road and as you pass, start turning towards the opposite of the road to get the angle. This will get your 5ver pointing somewhat towards the driveway before you even start to backup; then just startbacking using the trailer tires and the edge of the driveway as your guide.