SOLVED: Greystone Hotwater heater ?

I have a new to me 2011 Greystone 29BL. I just set it up at rv park and can't figure out how to turn hot water heater onto propane. In the closet by door the only switch is labeled electric hot water heater. Only thing I can find. I tried using it only and water only has gotten luke warm after 3 days. The propane tanks were empty so I am filling today and wanted to know how to switch over to gas so hopefully I can get hot water.

Thanks heartland

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Greystone Hotwater heater ?

There should be a small switch on the tank level monitor panel. It would be marked 'Heater'. Turn this is on for LP usage.
If you are only getting warm water then make sure that the shower and outside faucets are turned off.
If they are left on then you will get a mix of hot and cold water during usage.

Peace
Dave

Rickhansen

Good Morning,
On your monitor panel (that displays tank levels), there is an illuminated rocker switch labeled "Heater". Flip that switch until it is lit, normally to the right. The water heater should light on propane. Immediately adjacent to that switch is an LED. It will light briefly when the water heater tries to fire, but should go off when it is lit. If the light stays on for more than a minute or so, it means that your water heater has failed to light successfully. If this happens, you need to turn the switch off, wait for a minute or so, and turn it on again to attempt to re-light the water heater.

Propane can be used in conjunction with electric operation simultaneously.

Being that your propane tanks are empty now, it may take several attempts to light and stay lit. This is because the air has to purged from the gas lines. Sometimes it helps to light a burner on your stove for a few minutes to purge the lines.

For more info, see the User Guide and Troubleshooting guide under the tools section of this website.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Everyone is correct...BUT....never use the electric switch unless you know the water heater tank in full of water. If you have shore power, always use the electric to save propane. When you fill the propane tanks.....ALWAYS....open the valves slowly or you might not get the propane to flow.

danemayer

Hi g2outfitter,

As Rick mentioned in an earlier post, we have a detailed Water Heater Usage Guide and a Troubleshooting and Repair Guide. Between these two owner-written guides, there's most anything you'd need to know about your water heater. As you check out those links, you'll see there are also some other owner-written guides you may find useful.

And of course, in other parts of the Manuals section of the forum, you'll find the manufacturers' manuals for the appliances you probably have in your new-to-you rig.

Thanks I will have to post a pic. I will have to wait till I get home. I dont believe I have either on the panel. The LP outside slide switch has a del and a ace on the slide if I can remeber right. I will post as soon as I can. Thanks

danemayer

Something like this, but your controls may not be all clustered together quite like this picture.

Attachments

• Control Panel Annotated.jpg
    Control Panel Annotated.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 54

Awesome thanks yes I have both of those circled. Dumb mistake. I thought that was for underbelly heater.

In the picture what indicator shows whether pilot light is lit.

danemayer

The LED right next to the rocker switch should light up for about 15 seconds if all goes well. After you fill the propane tanks, and hook them up, open the tank valve very slowly. Then light the burner on the range top to purge air from the system. Then turn on the water heater.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ok guys if the great advice I got it working with gas. Now one more question. Where is the thermostat in the pic and what is the on/off button in bottom left. Its set to off with a pin through it. I took all panels off and didn't see anything that would allow me to raise temperature for running just on electric.
uploadfromtaptalk1375747826516.jpg

jbeletti

The on/off button with the cotter pin in it is the AC power switch for the AC element in the WH. This one is usually turned on and left on. Then there is the red lighted switch in the RV that sends power to the switch outside. As Bob mentioned, do not turn these switches on unless you have water in the WH tank.

Once you have the inside switch off, it's okay to leave the outside switch on.

danemayer

Ok guys if the great advice I got it working with gas. Now one more question. Where is the thermostat in the pic and what is the on/off button in bottom left. Its set to off with a pin through it. I took all panels off and didn't see anything that would allow me to raise temperature for running just on electric.
View attachment 25760

Congrats, you just found the problem with the electric side. It's OFF. The black rocker switch is a secondary switch that interrupts power on the electric side. When the trailer is winterized, and the tank is empty and bypassed, if someone were to turn on the inside switch it would destroy the heating element very quickly. To prevent this, the secondary switch can be turned off and pinned. To get things going, just pull the pin and turn the switch on. It's explained on page 4 of the Water Heater Usage Guide.

The thermostat on Suburban water heaters is not adjustable. If you'd like to know more about repairs, take a look at the Water Heater Troubleshooting Guide.

Rickhansen

Hot water heater thermostat is fixed, not adjustable. The on/off switch (HW Heater outside, with the pin) is a safety switch. By code, it has to have a disconnecting means at the unit. IF YOU TURN THE ELECTRIC ON (INSIDE AND OUTSIDE) WITHOUT THE TANK BEING FULL OF WATER YOU WILL BURN OUT THE ELEMENT.

Im assuming that with being hooked up to city water. The water heater should fill up water heater to prevent burnt element.

Thanks everyone for the help. Everything working the way it should. Electric is getting water super hot and wifes happy. Going to be living in here for 9 months so need it as comfortable as possible. Everyone has been such a great help.