Exact Lengths on Heartland RVs

kbbagshaw

Currently we have a 2008 Big Country. Thinking about ordering a new Heartland but having issues with getting exact lengths. Our shop limits us to a length no greater than 38'. Local sales reps say brochure does not include ladder. Heartland sales emailed us and says pin to ladder and brochure is correct. Another local rep told us he spoke with a Heartland engineer that says brochure does not take into consideration ladder or models that the nose sticks out further than the pin. Any guidance is appreciated.

jbeletti

The Heartland measurement is from center of kingpin on a standard pinbox to the rear cap. It does not include the projection of the rear ladder.

If you have an alternative pinbox (Mor/ryde, Trailair etc.), it does not include any additional length those might add (up to 9" in some cases). What pinbox do you have?

When you say "your shop", do you mean your RV dealer, your own workshop, your storage facility or what?

I assume you are not close to the RV now to take a measurement? What is the floor plan number of your Big Country? Perhaps another forum member who owns the same floor plan and the same model year are closer to theirs and can take a measurement for you.

kbbagshaw

We are looking at the BC 3251TS. When I say shop, I mean our personal shop where we currently keep our 2008 BC. Don't quit understand why brochure lengths are not true length of the complete unit.

Theresau

We will measure it for you - we have that model.

We are looking at the BC 3251TS. When I say shop, I mean our personal shop where we currently keep our 2008 BC. Don't quit understand why brochure lengths are not true length of the complete unit.

Theresau

It is 40'. (Surprised us.) This is from the ladder to the very tip of the front cap. We have a Mor/Ryde (extended pin) pin box and it doesn't extend past the front cap. BC comes standard with a 1621 HD Lippert (extended) pinbox. We don't feel the Lippert extended any further than the Mor/Ryde...(we installed the Mor/Ryde - replaced the Lippert ourselves...)

We will measure it for you - we have that model.

jbeletti

Brochure lengths are pretty accurate when you know what they are measuring. It is stated in the fliers and online so you know what the measurement means. Some of our RVs do not come with ladders (mostly flat backed travel trailers) and some are ordered with alternate pinboxes.

That said, I totally understand where you are coming from, what you need and your frustration with stated RV measurements with footnotes.

Aside from all that though, regardless of what brand RV you have and the way they measure it, sometimes, when asked the length of your RV, the number needed is variable. For example, if you are having your rig washed and waxed, and they charge by the foot, you do NOT want to pay for the ladder and Trailair pinbox added lengths. You want to pay from front cap to rear cap. When you need to go into storage though, if they need to know absolute length, yeah, give me the maximum from all front to rear appurtenances.

kbbagshaw

Bummer. Appreciate your thoughtfulness in measuring for us.
It is 40'. (Surprised us.) This is from the ladder to the very tip of the front cap. We have a Mor/Ryde (extended pin) pin box and it doesn't extend past the front cap. BC comes standard with a 1621 HD Lippert (extended) pinbox. We don't feel the Lippert extended any further than the Mor/Ryde...(we installed the Mor/Ryde - replaced the Lippert ourselves...)

jpdoggett

We have a 2011 Landmark Augusta and they say it is 38.5 but I had to measure it for storage and it is 40'-1 1/2"

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I think I've seen three different lengths for BH3670's since we got ours. I've settled on saying it's 39 feet, or just a B.A.T. (big axe trailer).

pegmikef

After reading all the disparities between advertised and actual lengths of several different rigs I went out and measured the length of my new 2014 Bighorn 3010RE using a hundred foot tape pulled tight (so no extra inches from a sagging tape).

The measured length (excluding the ladder) was 35' 2" and the advertised length is 34' 8" so it was within 6" which is tolerable for me. The ladder adds an additional 8 inches making the total 35' 10". My measurement was to the end of the cap and not the pin as the pin is a few inches behind the cap (which probably makes the advertised and physical lengths the same if measured to the pin).

Theresau

We were saying 39' too until yesterday when we discovered tip to tip it's 40'. I knew it looked long in our driveway... Never measured the 2010 3410 RE BH from tip to tip but this one looks longer.

I think I've seen three different lengths for BH3670's since we got ours. I've settled on saying it's 39 feet, or just a B.A.T. (big axe trailer).

jbeletti

After reading all the disparities between advertised and actual lengths of several different rigs I went out and measured the length of my new 2014 Bighorn 3010RE using a hundred foot tape pulled tight (so no extra inches from a sagging tape).

The measured length (excluding the ladder) was 35' 2" and the advertised length is 34' 8" so it was within 6" which is tolerable for me. The ladder adds an additional 8 inches making the total 35' 10". My measurement was to the end of the cap and not the pin as the pin is a few inches behind the cap (which probably makes the advertised and physical lengths the same if measured to the pin).

Mike,

Thanks for confirming this. So, for your unit, it seems that the Heartland published length specification from kingpin to rear cap is pretty accurate. This is good to know for those really needing to know.

In a few weeks, I'll be getting a 2014 Landmark Savannah. Myself and a friend will use a plumb bob and make marks on the floor for:
- Outside edge of rear cap
- Outside edge of ladder
- Outside edge of front cap
- Center of king pin

We'll then use a metal 100 foot tape and record measurements of:
- Rear Cap to Center of King Pin - (this should closely match Heartland's published specification
- Rear Cap to Outside Ladder Edge
- Front Cap to King Pin Center

With thee measurements, I'll know with certainty:
- How my actual compares to the published specification
- What my Cap to Cap measurement us for RV hand-washing purposes
- What my overall (maximum) length is for garaging and RV space purposes

While we're at it, with the RV hitched to the truck, the jacks all up and the hitch and truck air bags set for travel, using a laser light and a 4 foot level, from the highest item on my roof, likely my front 15k AC unit, I'll balance the laser on top of the level, shoot the laser at a side wall of my garage, have my friend on a ladder make a mark on the wall, then I'll subtract the height of the 4 foot level and the distance from the laser light to the bottom of the laser device to derive my actual maximum height.

When complete, following a practice I've seen my friend Terry H use, I will machine label my Max Height and Max Length and place those labels high up on the driver's side of my windshield.

Once I get my coach loaded for typical travel, I'll seek out a scale where I can scale the truck and trailer separate to know my individual and combined weights. I'll add that to a label for the windshield too. By having Height, Weight and Length measurements right there in the cab at a glance, when I need to know them, I will know them (bridges with height and weight restrictions).