New to Forum and Concerned with scratching countertops

jessie316

Hello everyone. We are new here, and just bought a 2014 Prowler Resort. In the Resort we have "composite granite" /black in the kitchen, bathroom and our bedroom. The bedroom and bathroom has a texture and we seem to have no problem with it. The kitchen countertop is a large surface area and smooth. We have only had possession of the rig for about a month and the counter already is scratched. How do we protect our counters?? It's only a month old and already scratched. I am using cutting boards, hot plates, coasters under things like toasters and it is still happening. I need help I don't know what else to do or is this something I need to contact the warranty company about. I thought this stuff was suppose to be hard and pretty indestructible. I don't know what else to do. PLease help.. Thank you. Jessie :)

danemayer

Hi jessie316,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great group of people who are quick to reach out with help when you need it.

Many of us have the Hanex Solid Surface Counters, and I think there may also be some LG counters. It's pretty common to get light scratches from normal use. The good news is that these countertops can be restored.

Here's some maintenance info for Hanex. I think LG is probably similar.
Care & Maintenance

People want Hanex® for the beauty, but they soon fall in love with its unique characteristics.
Everyday Cleaning

* Wipe clean with a damp cloth or sponge soaked in water
* Basic stains: Clean with mild detergents or general all purpose cleaners
* Periodically go over entire surface with a mild abrasive cleanser or a wet Scotch Brite™ pad to maintain a uniform appearance.

Heat Damage

The innate feature of Hanex® gives it excellent heat resistant properties compared to other surfacing materials in the market, however, to prevent any damages from heat, never place hot items directly on Hanex. Always use trivets with rubber feet when placing hot items on the countertop. Remember, placing hot pans or heat-generating appliances directly on Hanex® may cause damages to your countertop. Avoid direct and indirect heat reaching temperatures of 80oC (170oF) or above.
Chemical Damages

Avoid strong chemicals that can cause damages to your surface such as oven cleaners, acetone, paint removers, and other strong chemicals. If exposed, promptly flush with water. Remember, prolonged contact with harsh chemicals can cause serious damage to your countertop.
Simple steps to avoid damage

* Avoid cutting directly on Hanex, always use a cutting board.
* Never place hot pans directly on the countertop. Even though Hanex® can withstand temperatures up to 350F, prolonged periods or extreme heat could cause permanent damage.
* Strong acids, such as those found in drain cleaners should be flushed with water immediately. Some of these items, when left on surface may cause whitening, which can be difficult to remove.

Removing Persistent Stains

* To remove persistent stains, cigarette burns or scratches: Scrub the stained area with a mild abrasive cleanser using green Scotch Brite™ pad.
* Deep scratches can be eliminated by carefully sanding down the damaged area with a 120 grit sandpaper, followed by a 220 grit, finishing with a 320 grit sandpaper. Finish by lightly rubbing the surface with a wet, green Scotch Brite™ pad in a circular motion to restore the finish. Note: different methods can be used depending on the finish.
* For deep scratches and/or other damages which may require an expert repair, please contact your Authorized Hanex® Repair Agent or Certified Hanex® Fabricator.

Theresau

At the Goshen rally, LG gave a presentation regarding the solid surface countertops. He indicated to be careful not to place ceramic dishes on the surface that have a rough bottom as they will scratch. (Ours did - we changed them since.)

He also stated not to place a crock pot directly on the surface as the heat could make the surface split.

Hope this helps.

Hello everyone. We are new here, and just bought a 2014 Prowler Resort. In the Resort we have "composite granite" /black in the kitchen, bathroom and our bedroom. The bedroom and bathroom has a texture and we seem to have no problem with it. The kitchen countertop is a large surface area and smooth. We have only had possession of the rig for about a month and the counter already is scratched. How do we protect our counters?? It's only a month old and already scratched. I am using cutting boards, hot plates, coasters under things like toasters and it is still happening. I need help I don't know what else to do or is this something I need to contact the warranty company about. I thought this stuff was suppose to be hard and pretty indestructible. I don't know what else to do. PLease help.. Thank you. Jessie :)

At the Goshen rally, LG gave a presentation regarding the solid surface countertops. He indicated to be careful not to place ceramic dishes on the surface that have a rough bottom as they will scratch. (Ours did - we changed them since.)

He also stated not to place a crock pot directly on the surface as the heat could make the surface split.

Hope this helps.

Wow, thanks for that bit of info regarding the crock pot. Been using directly on the surface for almost 5 yrs but I'll bet after reading this the next time it will split (won't do it again to find out). The surface is really holding up well thus far though.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I had to repair my Hanex counter top after thieves dragged their worthless arses over them when they stole the TVs from the storage yard (slides closed) a couple of years back. The scratches were anything but light and were on the end of the counter next to the sink. I tried the procedure that Dan posted, but it didn't quite do the job, especially the ScotchBrite pad part. So I redid it starting with the 320 grit and worked through 600, 800, and finally 1000 grit wet paper (think auto supply). After that, I used automotive polishing cream (NOT compound!) and finished with an application of MacGuair's paste wax. Work the sandpapers with a light touch and wet the area with water mixed with a couple of drops of dish soap. Wet wipe the area between grits. Good as new.

Funny part was after I finished and was admiring my handiwork, big Max the Cat decided to jump up on the counter. MacGuair's made short work of him as he slid off the other side with a WTF look on his puss.

Theresau

After being the owners of 2 cats for close to 16 years, can picture this :).

Funny part was after I finished and was admiring my handiwork, big Max the Cat decided to jump up on the counter. MacGuair's made short work of him as he slid off the other side with a WTF look on his puss.

Theresau

He explained that there are seams that are not easily seen - that's why Corian/Hanex/LG solid surface works well for counters. However, heat over a long period of time will cause these seams to split. He said they can be repaired easily. He suggested placing crock pots on one of the solid surface sink covers (or cutting board).

Wow, thanks for that bit of info regarding the crock pot. Been using directly on the surface for almost 5 yrs but I'll bet after reading this the next time it will split (won't do it again to find out). The surface is really holding up well thus far though.