fix rotting roof?

jerdeb

2007 Sundance 3200BHS, Just discovered the left rear corner has been leaking where the roof-rear wall-and side wall come together. Poor design, they created a dam in the rear corners where the trim meets. Anyway, the rear wall is soft (real spongy) when you push on it from the outside, and the roof and the 2 rear rafters are shot, (about 1-1 1/2 square feet). I think I sealed the leak. Not sure now if I should pell back the rubber and try to fix the roof or just let it go.Can't notice any damage from the inside. I am really disappointed and depressed because when we originally ordered it in April 2006, they were all aluminum construction, one of the selling points for us. It came through as a 2007 model and they changed the roof and floor to wood. ANy one else gone through this? Did you fix the roof and walls after it was resealed, or leave it alone?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Poor design...Maybe. My Horn is made the same way and is 6 years old and it does not leak. I do however get on the roof every 6 months and check all the caulking. When was the last time you re-caulked all the seams on and at the roof area??

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Our Bighorn is in the same time frame as yours. Although we have the aluminum trusses but wooden floor. It's sad to hear you've got a situation on your hands but I have to say yours is the first I've heard of on the forum. It's nice to see you've finally found the forum after so many years. We're here to help with many many experienced and seasoned owners. The Heartland Owners Club is also a good place to meet other owners and really enjoy the camaraderie.

jerdeb

Isay "poor design" because anyone who knows anything about roofing will tell you one of the first rules is to never caulk or anything that to create a dam that will hold back wtare and make a puddle.The idea is to get all the water to run off of a roof. I check all the seams and clean them to keep the caulk from becoming discolored like it does when you park under trees as I do on my property. This was obviously a small crack or a screw head that was obscure to me. I have been a member on this site since 2008. I occasionally check the posts, but have never had reason to post myself. I have got some good ideas from here (how to straighten up the wiring in the under belly was a major one). Not sure how often I will post here if I am simply going to be bashed instead of getting constructive advice.

caissiel

My previous SOB unit had a similar roof leak caused by the FG molded rear section and roof rubber not sealed properly and the membrane was actually cut to short. After big rain rear window would leak.

I rolled the rubber back to replace rotted part of the roof panel and reglued. Membrane was left short so I included a 4 inch of etherbound tape. It worked.