ATF: Prowler - Roof Membrane, air bubbles, separations of EPDM

rlinde3

My Prowler 316 PRLS has air bubbles, and separations in the roof membrane and was told that they pose no problem. I contacted Trailer Life Magazine on this issue and was told in their JULY 2013 issue that they are common, but they are not right. There should be no looseness in the membrane, the roof should be glued down tightly. (You can read their article on page 74) I talked to several representatives at Heartland and was told the yes there is air bubbles and there is looseness in the roof but this is normal. I even made a trip to Elkhart while camping in Bristol, IN and talked to a David Ballard at Great Lakes RV/RV Capital Service, he stated they were common but not right. He stated they should pose no problem but would not commit to it in writing. I also visited Heartland parts & service center in Elkhart on the suggestion of Mr. Ballard. And talked a Tony there who also looked at the roof and stated the same thing, but only gave me a letter from Dicor concerning the same issue. I would like some kind of written commitment from Heartland that if the roof fails after the first year warranty is up that they will stand behind workmanship on this trailer. Attached are photos of the roof.

Thank you

Attachments

• 100_0539.jpg
    100_0539.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 100_0540.jpg
    100_0540.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 100_0640.jpg
    100_0640.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 64
  • ROOF%205-13-13%203.jpg
    ROOF%205-13-13%203.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 64
  • ROOF%205-13-13%202.jpg
    ROOF%205-13-13%202.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 61

jimtoo

Hi rlinde3,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Like you have been told, those are normal on every roof, and every manufacture. I just traded my 08 3055 for an 09 3670,,, my 3055 had bubbles, 5 years old and not a problem,, the 3670 has bubbles and I don't expect a problem.
I do not think anyone will give you a written statement extending your warranty, regardless of manufacture.

Just check it every once in a while when you clean the roof.

Enjoy your Prowler and go camping.

Jim M

danemayer

Hi rlinde3,

Let me second the welcome.

Also, I have to agree with Jim. Manufacturers, regardless of industry, almost never write letters extending warranty. I can only think of one time I've ever seen that, and that was with the oil gel problem on certain Toyota cars and vans around the turn of the century. For one thing, most employees wouldn't have the authority to modify the warranty. In the Toyota case, the corporation made a decision to modify the warranty and no doubt had approvals at the highest levels.

But Heartland is pretty good about making things right when they go wrong. Ask Customer Service if they've logged this in under your VIN # (they probably already have done so). If in the future, it turns out that everyone was wrong and the roof needs to be replaced (btw, pretty unlikely in my opinion), you can refer Heartland back to the original discussion. I have high confidence that they would step up and make it right, even if the warranty had expired.

olcoon

I think it was at the 2011 National Rally in Gillette I attended a seminar by the company that supplies the roof material to Heartland. I asked about the bubbles & he said they are normal, and not to worry about them. He also said that if they bothered me, to use something that wouldn't rip/cut the material, and work the bubble towards a vent, and have an area in the caulking open so the air could escape. When done use the self-leveling caulk & recaulk it. I never did it, as they weren't that bad, and depending on the weather, sometimes they disappear. Mine aren't as bad as yours, that one going from side to side is (in my opinion) pretty bad, but I kind of feel it could be removed if you wanted to. Main thing, is to make sure the edges are caulked (with the self leveling caulk) so air can't get under it & the whole thing blow off going down the road.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The roof material has a 10 years warranty but not through HL. If it is a Dicor roof, they are the ones that hold the warranty. If you have an issue thats who you call not HL. The same holds true with all the things in your trailer that HL bought from an outside source. HL built the fiberglass box and installed other peoples stuff. You should have paper work for everything in your coach. Find them and read them, they will state what the warranty covers, how long, and whom to contact.