lift onto Toilette

dhcolesj

My Dad is a double amputee, and I would love to take him camping at least once before too long.
With the 32BUDS we have the sleeping part worked out great we believe.
The parts we would need to work on are the restroom, and getting him into the camper.

I've looked around a little through the forum, and found some links but most seem expired our not really feasible. I liked the rollup ramp, but the dealer that was listed locally doesn't seem do know what I'm talking about.
Getting him in and out I think we can handle regardless. The problem will be with the restroom. How to lift onto the toilette? I'm open to any ideas.

Thanks.

donr827

I will be watching this thread. My wife has been going through a bacteria infection in her hip area. AT this time she is not able to climb the steps to the trailer and may never be able. It has put a hold on any rv travel.
Don

dhcolesj

Mizmary, That would be a start, thanks for the link. Not sure how it would work with the foot pedal flush. I think my problem is I don't think enough like someone in a chair to know exactly what to look for. You just can't grasp the aggravation, I don't think, until you have to deal with it.

donr827, I hate to hear about your wife, looks like you haven't had your rig too long either. We'll keep her and you in our prayers. Hopefully she can return to the RV.

wildwolfproducts

Not what your looking for. But know a few that just put a poncho on and then someone lifts them up on the toilet. This has worked for a few years for one Guy I know. He goes with his kids a few times per year. And it helps him feel better about going this way.
Also have not seen it in a while. But a Bar on both sides, and a pullup works. But other then this, not a lot for RV's.

Pete

olcoon

Have you thought about contacting a company that specializes in ADA compliant devices? If they don't have something that would help, maybe they would know of someplace you could contact that has or could adapt something to make it work in an RV.

jbeletti

Howard and Don,

I don't have any specific answers for either of your use-cases. But I see you're getting a lot of feedback here. A couple of things I want to mention...

The commode can be replaced with one the flushes via electric pushbutton. I suppose that button can be located about anywhere (floor, wall etc.)

Many types of lifts are available for RVs. Two that I've seen Heartlanders use are
1. A ramp that lifts up in the space that the exterior stairs are in (with stairs stowed)
2. A chair that lifts up to the left of the exterior door, then pivots into the RV

porthole

Retired
As seen at the Nashville rally

Attachments

• RV_lift_steps_01.jpg
    RV_lift_steps_01.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 50
  • RV_lift_steps_02.jpg
    RV_lift_steps_02.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 52
  • RV_lift_steps_03.jpg
    RV_lift_steps_03.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 49
  • RV_lift_steps_04.jpg
    RV_lift_steps_04.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 51
  • RV_lift_steps_05.jpg
    RV_lift_steps_05.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 53
  • RV_lift_steps_06.jpg
    RV_lift_steps_06.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 53
  • RV_lift_steps_07.jpg
    RV_lift_steps_07.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 51

porthole

Retired
The commode can be replaced with one the flushes via electric pushbutton. I suppose that button can be located about anywhere (floor, wall etc.)

Jim- just an FYI - I have a similar head in our boat. If I was to order a new trailer and this was a checkoff box on the option list - it would be right up there with the 6 point.

These type of systems are becoming common on class A's

donr827

Porthole, appreciate the posting of the pictures. Can you give a brief description of how it works and where did you buy the lift.
Don

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The lift looks interesting for those with limited mobility, but does it come flush with the door threshold to permit a wheelchair? From the photos, it looks like you'll still have a step up into the coach. The way the lift bar is welded to the supports might be something to take a closer look at.

porthole

Retired
Porthole, appreciate the posting of the pictures. Can you give a brief description of how it works and where did you buy the lift.
Don

"As seen" at the Nashville rally. Not mine, trailer near us. Homemade for a spouse that had trouble walking up the steps.
There is a 12 volt winch in the space behind the step.
It worked very well for what it was.