2010 Heartland North Trail 31RLSS

rlkubi

We bought this camper this year and love it! As of now we store on our camping resort where we have a membership and they will pull it to the site and on for a small fee. We have a Dodge Grand Caravan that obviously won't pull this. When we are both retired in a few years we will want to travel. We really don't want a truck if possible. Does anyone have a van/SUV that can pull this unit? It is 8,500 pounds just the camper.

Thanks for your help! Trying to plan ahead and we never buy new so will be looking for a used vehicle a few years old.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
You'll get a lot of personal opinions on this, so I'll start. In my humble opinion, no van or SUV will safely and easily pull this large a TT. Even a 1/2 ton gas engine pickup will be strained pulling this weight up a hill for any distance. I would strongly recommend a 3/4 ton diesel pick-up for this size TT.

hi I would have to agree with boatto5er just look at a pickup with four doors just like you have a suv only more room.lots of room to haul the things you want to take with you.

RuralPastor

Our Ford Excursion with a 7.3 diesel will pull that weight easily. However, finding one in good condition might be a little difficult. Like others said, a four-door pickup will give SUV spaciousness with hauling capacity. Glad you like your North Trail.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Chevrolet makes a 3/4 Ton Express Cargo Van with a gas 6.0 Engine or a 6.6 Diesel Engine that will tow a 10,000 pound trailer.

My concern with a shorter wheelbase van or suburban and a long long trailer is tail wag. We tried pulling a 21FBS with a Toyota 4Runner, which by the numbers would pull it fine. The problem was, semis passing would nearly blow us off the road. This was is a very short 24' trailer! There is a chart here that explains the ratio if trailer length to tow vehicle axle spacing/length. Take this into consideration, as well.

http://www.albertarvcountry.net/RVTowingTips/tabid/60/Default.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The GM van that Terry H mentioned is a BIG long and heavy van. Wind wont push it around very much. I believe that they are built on a 3/4 tn long bed truck chassis. You can get them as basic or plushy as you want. That is if they still make them.

If it was me...I would go with a 3/4 tn crew cab truck with all the goodies and the diesel. Lots of power and no problem pulling anything.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Bob, Chevy is still making them in a assembly plant just west of St. Louis, MO. Chevy is the only one of the "Big 3" that is making a full size van. Ford stopped production on full size vans about 1 1/2 years ago.

priorguy

Ford will be building the full size Transit soon, and dodge had the sprinter until the Daimler breakup. Not sure what the towing capacity of the Mercedes Sprinter is but it does come in a long wheel base and double rear wheel version. Can you still get a diesel suburban? Not sure what it can tow but the new Dodge Durango is available with the Hemi. Best would be a little internet search and maybe talk with your favourite dealer.