Looking for full time wireless backup camera for on-highway use for double trailering

SailorDon

I regularly tow a light boat and trailer (total weight 500 pounds) behind my Heartland Wilderness 2175 RB.

I need to monitor the trailer behind my travel trailer in case a tire blows, wheel bearing seizes, or any other towing problem with the boat trailer.

Of course, the boat and boat trailer are hidden behind the 8 ft. width of the travel trailer. The boat and boat trailer are only 4 feet wide.

Reviews state that most wireless backup camera signals have a lot of video signal interference when driving down the highway.
Seems as if a wired backup camera is the only way to go if you want to monitor the second trailer in a double tow (my specific application).
Wireless is OK for slow speeds, like backing your travel trailer into a campsite parking pad.

I'm not happy about having to put camera wires the full length of my travel trailer plus the length from the hitch on my truck to the dashboard in the truck for the monitor.
And of course the wire connector that is required for when you unhitch your rig.

Right now I'm rejecting the wireless camera solution since I do not want to be monitoring wireless electronic "snow".

brianharrison

The Jensen Voyager wireless camera system I have installed allows me to "see" the back of my Landmark (38') while I am travelling or highway speeds. There is no snow, however there is a slight signal delay in the transmission /receiving creating a slight choppiness in the video streaming. The picture quality is good.

Hope this helps.

Brian

SailorDon

The Jensen Voyager wireless camera system I have installed allows me to "see" the back of my Landmark (38') while I am travelling or highway speeds. There is no snow, however there is a slight signal delay in the transmission /receiving creating a slight choppiness in the video streaming. The picture quality is good.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Thanks for the info Brian. I'm still as confused as when I started my quest for a wireless camera system.
I've seen the Jensen Voyager system listed from $550 to $800. None of them guarantee a transmit distance from camera to monitor. Perhaps too many variables are involved.

I saw this PEAK Wireless Backup Camera system.
http://www.amazon.com/Peak-PKC0BU7-...p/B009VYWJ0A/ref=pd_sbs_auto_4#productDetails
Some specs claim 190' transmit range. Some customer reviews claim 5 foot transmit range. Of course at 5 feet you might as well go with hard wired. Wireless does not make sense at 5 feet.

The PEAK unit has separate camera and transmitter, so I could hardwire the camera from the back window of my Wilderness 2175 RB to the transmitter which I could mount on top of the propane tank housing. That would get me to within 15 feet wireless range of the monitor. Assuming that 15' wireless transmit range works, this might be the solution. But what is a newbie travel trailer guy like me supposed to believe. 190 feet? 5 feet?

I also notice that the PEAK system is selling for about $130 for the entire system. Almost too good to be true.

I'm almost despirate enough to go with the difficulties of installing a hard wired system to guarantee I can clearly see what is going on with my boat trailer at 60 mph going down the interstate highways.

rnewk52

I have the Peak camera mounted on the rear of our Bighorn so I can monitor the two ATV's we tow behind the 5er. For the money, I think this is a very good camera system. The picture is clear and the camera angle is adjustable to see closer or farther depending on your needs. I have experienced minor static or lines in the picture, but I believe that is from interference from CB radios, because I notice it when we are amongst several 18 wheelers. Other than that, I am completely satisfied with the performance and picture with this set up.

SailorDon

I've always been a firm believer that you get what you pay for.
I'm going to try Amazon.com for the same product. Their price is more reasonable at $125.00.
With offerize.com, you might be getting a visit from the local LEO's checking for stolen goods.