Help -- Battery and LP alarm

Tburgh

Am having a real experience with this RV trip. First I burned out a bearing, replaced the axel and am on the road again after a week's wait for repair. Hitched up the MPG, turned on the gas to start the refrigerator and the LP alarm (mounted near the floor under the storage closet) went off. I immediately turned off the gas. One of the drawerslides under the kitchen counter fell down along with the drawer during all the jostling with the axel repair. Thought maybe the drawer knocked a gas line loose but every thing looks to be okay.

The alarm seems to run on the main battery as when I unhooked the red battery cable the alarm finally turned off. I first thought it was an AA "battery running low" alarm. I immediately turned off the gas and the alarm eventually quit.

Also, the main battery was fully charged when I left this afternoon -- I suspect it's lack of charge now, however, because when I tried to turn on the refrigerator (when the gas was on and before the alarm went off) it would not respond. The radio light was on so i had some juice. I am not near an electrical power source. Something is draining the battery very rapidly. I've checked for under storage compartment lights and they are all off.

Any help is appreciated. Tburgh

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The LP detector is connected to the battery and does not have a removable backup battery or a shut off. If it activates when you turn on the gas and shuts off when the gas is turned off, it sounds like you may have a leak. You should have the system tested.

If you're not connected to shore power, the detector and the 12v radio will drain the battery. If you're not using the rig, disconnect the battery cable (or install a battery switch) to prevent it.

Garypowell

The two might not be connected. For one thing up to your frige inlet valve there is lot of piping and connections. If the leak was there it would not go away with turning the frige off. Of course you probably need to check if the gas lights when you turn it on. But even if it did not this part is outside.

These LP alarms are sensitive to other things too. Lets say when working on your rig they stained your carpet and cleaned it up.....the residual fumes from their carpet cleaning method might periodically set off the alarm.

We had that happen with our first rig in 96 as we stayed at the dealership the first night....the LP alarm woke us up three times. The dealership kept someone on duty all night....on the third alarm with no trace of a leak we just pulled it out of the wall and disconnected the power....after we turned off the gas...it was summertime.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Barring a leak someplace, if you're trying to run the fridge on gas and it won't light, try lighting a stove burner for minute. That will clear the air from the line.

danemayer

Hi tburgh,

How did you determine the battery was fully charged? Also, if this is the original battery from a couple of years ago, it may not be holding a charge very well.

If it's a new battery and was discharged in one afternoon, it's probably not from leaving a light turned on. The largest normal drain is probably from the furnace, and that wouldn't drain a good battery in a few hours. If the breakaway circuit were active, the trailer brakes would energize. That would drain the battery pretty quickly. If while replacing the axle, the brake wiring was messed up in some way so that one or more of the brake magnets was energized, that would also run the battery down very quickly.

With battery disconnected, tow vehicle disconnected, and shore power disconnected, if you turn on the gas, you may be able to do a "sniff" test around the appliances to see if you can localize the propane leak. Don't leave the gas on for a long time and air out the trailer before applying power.

Consider that if the propane alarm started immediately after the repair shop's work, it may not be a coincidence. If you had run the frig on LP previously without a problem, all of your symptoms may be related in some way.

bigmaho

Barring a leak someplace, if you're trying to run the fridge on gas and it won't light, try lighting a stove burner for minute. That will clear the air from the line.

There's a way of starting up the fridge that clears air from the line. It's mentioned in the manual but I can't remember it off hand. It worked for me when I changed tanks and air got in the line.

olcoon

Another thing to consider it that there may be dust/dirt inside the detector. We had a similar issue on our 2011 Elk Ridge. Last summer we volunteered for the forest service, is a dusty area. Last winter we gate guarded in TX & it was very dusty. On the way to Goshen for the rally, the LP detector kept going off & we couldn't smell any gas. Replaced the detector & no more problems.

Tburgh

So thankful for all the input. I am taking the info and suggestions to heart. Finally am on my way home with one hook-up tonight relying solely on electric. Will have RV serviced for leaks and battery health. The battery registers a full charge after a days driving. I am believing now that the battery drained so rapidly the day i broke down from the brake magnetic charge as suggested by one of the posts. Thanks again, all. This is a very helpful terrific forum! Tburgh.