Range Hood Outside Vent Flap

Greetings,
We just spent our first weekend in our brand new 2014 North Trail. Loved every second of it !! Had 2 SMALL issues. I've already researched one, that being that the oven burner wouldn't stay lit for more than a minute or so...had to keep re-lighting the pilot. I think I just need to make sure all the air is out of the gas lines.
Second small issue..I couldn't figure out how to open the range hood vent flap on the outside (rear) of the trailer. We were told during the PDI last week to just open the two tabs....there is caulk all the way around the entire cover. I don't know which way those tabs open...pull straight down? Pull out? Push up? Any help is appreciated...
Thank You!!

priorguy

If I remember it's turn down. I set mine up at a Permanent site May long weekend and haven't touched it since. The best way to get air out of the gas lines is to light a stove burner.

Theresau

Need to remove the caulk and then push up (ours was caulked in too). Do a search for this as I reported the same and Jim B. sent a brochure. Check to see if it's the same vent.

Here's the thread - includes picture of our vent cover. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/39292-Microwave-Exhaust-Fan/page2?highlight=microwave+vent

Greetings,
We just spent our first weekend in our brand new 2014 North Trail. Loved every second of it !! Had 2 SMALL issues. I've already researched one, that being that the oven burner wouldn't stay lit for more than a minute or so...had to keep re-lighting the pilot. I think I just need to make sure all the air is out of the gas lines.
Second small issue..I couldn't figure out how to open the range hood vent flap on the outside (rear) of the trailer. We were told during the PDI last week to just open the two tabs....there is caulk all the way around the entire cover. I don't know which way those tabs open...pull straight down? Pull out? Push up? Any help is appreciated...
Thank You!!

Greengas

I found myself outside last night trying to reach up to the vent opening with a broom handle. Finally got the darn thing open. Now I just to remember that I need to close it. :)

Theresau

We don't close ours - just too difficult to open :). So far we're a-ok.

I found myself outside last night trying to reach up to the vent opening with a broom handle. Finally got the darn thing open. Now I just to remember that I need to close it. :)

We are having the same problem. Can't seem to get the vent open. We have tried pushing and pulling on the tabs, but no luck. Tried to contact the dealer where we purchased our BH and they were closed. Our vent looks just like the one in picture that was posted earlier. Was hoping to cook breakfast for the first time in our new trailer. Good thing we are at the s&b.

Finally figured it out. Pushed the tabs up. Don't think we will be closing it as we need to get a ladder to reach it. I just wish the fan ran off of 12v instead of 110.

Rochelle

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
We don't close ours - just too difficult to open :). So far we're a-ok.
That's me also. I love the vents they have in the 2014 trailers but I have never been able to get mine closed, although I've tried everything I could do, so I just travel with it open. Not the best thing to do, but I just can't figure out the "trick" to close the tabs.

wdk450

I strung a bead chain in a straight line from high up on the inside front of the hood out to the flap where it is attached (glued) to a sawed slot in the flap. A light spring connected to the flap and an added screw on the outside flap frame pulls the flap lightly open. Inside the chain goes through the hood metal in a hole with a cut slot at the bottom. With the bead chain full slack the flap pulls open from the outside; pulling the chain and setting it in the slot inside closes the outside flap. I put a ceiling fan pull knob on the inside end of the bead chain.

I have a 2011 28brs and last years sun toasted my vent flap right off and (of course) cracked the bath fan cover into multiple pieces. The problem I have here in Southern California is that Camping World stores are in very short demand and are very far away. As for other "RV parts stores"' not many (if any) near Los Angeles. I am fairly certain I have a Fantastic power bath fan with a 14"x14" cover but I am not certain of that. As for the replacement range hood (outside) vent cover, I don't really know. Even Camping World is requesting Part Numbers. My RV is 15 miles away now covered in a RV storage park. The fact that NONE of this type of information is not indexed is completely incredible!!!

Can an anyone please assist me?

By by the way I would like to replace the bath fan cover with something better and stronger.

Thank You Everyone!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello North11Trail and welcome to the forum. Lots of great people here willing to share information.
I kinda doubt that you have a Fantastic Vent fan, but maybe. It would state so on the fan.
One thing that many people do is add a vent cover. This would shade your vent as well as allow you to use the fan when it is raining.
I suggest that you give Heartland Customer Service a call. They are on EST. Have your VIN in hand and they should be able to tell you what fan you have.
Heartland Customer Service
877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030

Peace
Dave

priorguy

I have the same trailer but it's stored 30 mins away too. The call to HL should get the answer. Any 14/14 cover should work. Walmart and auto parts stores would carry the Camco universal one. Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My flap on the range exhaust fan is under a hood. The plastic pins that hold it in place and allow it to swing have broken. I have an idea on how to fix it but was wondering where, other than the dealer 50 miles away, I could get a new one.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I used a piece of steel rod duct-taped to the flap. A piece cut from a wire coathanger should be perfect.

After going thru two flaps, I did the same thing. No more problems and better than new. Trace

wdk450

I have the same trailer but it's stored 30 mins away too. The call to HL should get the answer. Any 14/14 cover should work. Walmart and auto parts stores would carry the Camco universal one. Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Word of warning: There are a few variations on the opener mechanism metalwork inside the 14/14 covers. Of course you can always cut out the wrong metalwork in your new replacement cover, and install the old metalwork (with screws and nuts) into your new cover (like I did).

ICamel

X2. If you don't have the flap you can use a piece of 0.093 Lexan plastic cut to size, painted white and then attached to solid wire(like a coathanger or welding rod) with JB Weld and duct tape did the job for me. Looks like the OEM, and those pins are not going to break.
I used a piece of steel rod duct-taped to the flap. A piece cut from a wire coathanger should be perfect.

jfzielinski said:
My flap on the range exhaust fan is under a hood. The plastic pins that hold it in place and allow it to swing have broken. I have an idea on how to fix it but was wondering where, other than the dealer 50 miles away, I could get a new one.