ATF: Landmark - Can't get satellite tv to the bedroom

dana22

I have been trying to get Directv to the bedroom without success. Can someone give me a step by step explanation as to how to accomplish this?? We have a 2006 Landmark Mt. Rushmore. HELP! Thanks in advance!

danemayer

Hi dana22,

Most Landmarks have 4 coax connectors in the Universal Docking Center (UDC) where all the plumbing connections come into the coach. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if this arrangement goes back to 2006 models. But let me assume it does.

Two of the connectors go to the rooftop pre-wiring for satellite dish. The other two go to the living room and bedroom. If you have a rooftop dish, you use a short jumper to connect the two connectors on the right, and another jumper for the left pair. If no rooftop dish, you don't use jumpers. The connectors to the living room and bedroom are usually the left side of each pair. (But it's pretty easy to get wires connected wrong behind the UDC, so don't get too heavily invested in which is which.)

The next part deals with the type of dish you have. If it's a round dish, it probably has only one coax connection coming off the LNB. The round dish provides a standard definition Directv signal to one receiver. I'm not sure if you can find a splitter to make it work for two receivers.

If you have an oval dish, it'll be either a Slimline 3 or Slimline 5. If the dish has 4 coax connectors, it's the older multiswitch technology. If only one connector, it's the newer Single Wire Module (SWM) technology.

With the multiswitch technology, you'd run a 2nd coax line from the dish into the UDC and connect to the connector believed to go to the bedroom. If you're not getting a signal at the bedroom receiver (connected to the satellite coax connector in the bedroom), try the other UDC satellite connectors. If none work, you may have a loose or shorted connector. Before running that down, try a direct coax line from the dish to the receiver to make sure everything except the coach wiring is working. If so, you'll have to go behind the UDC and behind the bedroom connector to inspect the coax connections. See if the connector is loose, or has stray wires shorting to the center conductor.

With SWM technology, you only need 1 wire from the dish. BUT, you need a SWM splitter (probably located in the UDC. Short jumpers from the splitter go to the UDC connectors for living room and bedroom. You'll also need a SWM power inserter (probably located in the living room) inline with the coax going to the living room receiver. If you've got all this and the living room works, run a piece of coax directly from the splitter to the bedroom receiver to make sure the basic setup is working. Then investigate the other connections and check the connectors.

If you have only one receiver, and are trying to use an output from that receiver to send signal to both living room and bedroom TVs, that's an entirely different problem. Some people have had success running a coax output from the living room receiver into the living room TV antenna connector to send the TV signal backwards through the antenna/cable wiring. If this is what you're trying, make sure the signal booster is turned off so it doesn't interfere with the signal. It's also possible that the splitters and signal booster are only passing signal in one direction. Dealing with that problem gets more complicated, and a wireless solution may be best.

And of course, the receivers have to be compatible with the type of dish you have. Some SWM capable receivers will also work with a multiswitch dish (but need to be configured correctly) while others will not. No older multiswitch receivers will work with SWM dishes.

Hope something here helps.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Do you want a receiver in the bed room and living room? Or is it your intent to have one receiver and view programing in both rooms?
If you want a receiver in the bed room, you might have to do a little coax modification.
Please let us know exactly what your intentions are.

Peace
Dave

hoefler

We have the same rig as you, there is a cable in the entertainment center that goes back to the bedroom. I have it connected to TV 2. There is a switch box in the cabinet by the front door, I believe it is set to AUX and TV2. I will have to go out and check for sure, but I figured it out by trial and error. I do know the AUX has to be selected. Good luck.

dana22

Do you want a receiver in the bed room and living room? Or is it your intent to have one receiver and view programing in both rooms?
If you want a receiver in the bed room, you might have to do a little coax modification.
Please let us know exactly what your intentions are.

Peace
Dave
We have a seperate receiver for the bedroom to keep peace in the family!

dana22

Are you using a seperate receiver for the bedroom or just going through one receiver in the entertainment center?We have seen the green and blue connectors ane wondered what they were. We are wanting to use 2 seperate receivers.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One thing I have found is that for some reason the coax goes from the UDC into the belly and I suspect that it is split and then runs back up to the bedroom.
On two rigs I have eliminated that coax run.
If you look behind the basement wall you might find a white coax coming down from the bedroom going down into the belly.
If you see that, cut it off, install a coax end connector, a barrel connector, a length of coax and run that straight to the backside of UDC satellite connector.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

wolfrat1

I have looked at the new landmarks and the description say they are prewired for the winegard travl'ler satellite antennas. are the wires already on the roof or does one have to drill into the roof to access them? I was thinking of installing it myself if I didn't have drill through the roof.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I am not sure about your 2012 model, but normally the coax from the UDC to the roof can be found behind one of the bedroom ceiling speakers.
If not there, perhaps look behind one of the canister lights.
Once you have found the wires and installed your dish, you will need to put a jumper coax in the UDC.

Peace
Dave