backing 5th wheel vs. tt

Been enjoying our 3400RL for a month now. Big difference from 24 foot travel trailer we previously enjoyed for 10 years. Now the problem. My husband was able to back up that tt anywhere within inches of where we wanted it. Not so with 5th wheel. This is our first 5th wheel and are still having much trouble backing into spaces. What are the differences of backing a tt and 5er. Everyone says its much easier but so far we haven't found the "trick". Any suggestions other than radios and practice? Step by step instructions would be wonderful but can't find anything online. Thanks

jpmorgan37

Tuck;
There was quite a bit of information in this thread: Backing And there has been a lot of different discussions over the past few years. Try doing a search using the word "backing" and you will come up with lots of information. I understand what you are experiencing. Keep in mind that your pivot point used to be two feet behind the axle of your tow vehicle. Now it's two inches in front of the axle so your whole point of reference has shifted.

John

K

Ken Washington

tuckandsue,
I hate to say it put practice and patience. One thing to remember is to stop your turn earlier that you would with the TT. I had the same problem but soon got the hang of it. Also try to back to your left so that you can see what is going on with the tires and where the trailer is going. Hope this helps!

Ken

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Tuckandsue, We have the same problem except we are getting much better took a few lessons at the ralley last year helped a whole lot we now can back it in by the house in 10 min. instead of 30 min. found out where to put the wheels when backing in to the house I have to keep reminding Kenny to do small correction so the truck stays with the trailer and is not side ways the 88 degree is true we have had it side ways.:) :) Kathy

pickuphunt

Backing

The major difference between a TT and a 5er is the pivot point. The TT has its pivot point about 3 feet or more behind your rear wheels of your truck which gives a lot of control when backing the TT. The pivot point for the 5er is over the rear wheels of the truck. Therefore, before the front of your 5er moves left or right, the rear wheels of your truck has to get there first. The biggest help I can offer is: When backing into a campground site move well ahead of the site ( and then go another 15feet.) Start your backing towards the parking site sooner than you would with a travel trailer. Often I see people trying to "swing" the 5er the way they would a TT. Same strategy applies when you need to move the 5er a couple feet left or right in a campground site. Move ahead further before starting to back. The 5er just can't swing over like a TT. WFM (Works for Me)

BJ'sDad

I taught a couple friends of mine how to back up a tracto trailer, and the one thing I always asked them to try was not to stare down the side of the trailer in the mirror. But rather to imagine a line from where your wheels are to where you want them to end up, this helps a lot as you aren't focusing on the side of the trailer and noticing distractions.

fhollan

Large Parking Lot

Everything mentioned above are very good suggestions. You might also want to practice on large empty parking lot, like the one at your local high school. That is where I got the feel with my rig after I got the 5ver. Pick the middle lots and try backing into between the lines.