switching out tailgates with rearview camera

rickandjoyce

We recently bought a 2012 F350 lariat dually. It has a back up camera installed in the factory tailgate. We just order a louvered tailgate and discovered if we switch we lose the rear camera. Has anyone switched out tailgates and if so, are you ok with not having the rearview camera. Or should we suck it up and use the fully enclosed factory tailgate for safety sake with the review camera? Or is there a way to have the rearview camera with the new tailgate? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Rick and Joyce

priorguy

I found this at etrailer.com. It's a Husky louvered tailgate with camera relocation kit. I'm sue others make it too as most high end trucks (and some low end too) come with cameras now. Heck, I looked at new Camrys refently and as of 2013 a rearview camera is standard. I've even heard that all vehickes will be requied to have them as of 2014 or 2015. Could be wrong though. Don't tell DW.

http://www.etrailer.com/Truck-Bed-A...Duty/2012/HL15130-38.html?vehicleid=201215977

conradsteph

Maybe you can relocate that camera to the rear brakelight in cab. The camera in the tailgate is pointless when hooking up (with tailgate down). The sensors in the bumper are enough for backing up.

MTPockets

We prefer the factory gate and have folding hard cover for looks and security when not towing. We travel full time and feel the louvered gates are unnecessary. To each their own.

rickandjoyce

This is more than likely the direction we are heading. The truck is so big and we like the benefit of the camera. We've used the factory tailgate so far and all is well. We were hoping to get better mileage and easier hook up, but I think we just may be sending this back to etrailer. Thanks and thanks to all for responding.

we have the louvered tailgate because we use a slide hitch and if we slide it back with a regular tailgate there wont be a tailgate left I was shown this when i bought my first 5th wheel so that's something to consider also.

Last edited:

RoadJunkie

I found the stock tailgate to be too bulky so I swapped it out for the Husky. Honestly, I have not missed the camera. But...my screen is in the mirror and pretty much useless anyway for a far sighted old guy anyway. $700 for a replacement camera on the Husky? Whew, I dont think so.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
I don't know about Ford, but we plan to buy a backup camera from Dodge for our RV tailgate and use the regular tailgate in the off season. The tailgate we bought is designed to take a camera and you are supposed to be able to move the stock one to the new tailgate, but after looking at what it would really involve, buying another camera is preferable.

We used the stock tailgate for a couple of trips. It always made me nervous and I thought it looked bad too. I'm the one who told Mark he needed to get the new tailgate.

So guys, you can go tell your wives,"But Mark's wife not only let's him by stuff, she encourages it!" I dare ya to see how far that gets ya! :)

Kristy