Generator suggestions needed.

campntn

I'd like to get a portable generator for our camper. We have never boondocked, but might try it. I want to run the 15K BTU a/c as well as lights/necessities.
Any suggestions? and possible costs?? and from where?
What do I look for and what would I steer away from?
Thanks!
Mark

snuffy

I'd suggest either a Yamaha or Honda 3000 inverter type. They are quieter but a little heavy at around 130 lbs. dry.
Two Honda 2000's can be paralleled and they only weigh about 60 lbs. each. The two Yamaha 2400's can also be paralleled and they are light and quiet.

fsh2win

Always fish to win!!
Go with a Yamaha 3000

We bought a Yamaha 3000SEB, the 3000 with boost to 3500 for starting the AC. We can run all the AC, hair dryers, ( we have two teenagers that still need to do thier hair when camping, Ha..Ha..) and a coffee pot. It is a little heavy but it does come with wheels. My brother has two 2000 hondas that he "links" together and he really likes them. The Yamaha is quieter, but the hondas or more portable. I guess that it's up to you. You can't go wrong with either...Happy shopping. P.S Christmas is just around the corner and I see a present in your future!!!None

boatdoc

I have first hand experience with several brands. My sisters Honda 3000 couldn't start their air on a warm day without really struggling but it would start it. I don't know at what cost on the A/C unit. They have not used it since with the genny.
I have a Kipor 3500TI, one of the first ones around and it is wonderful. Quiet, easy on fuel, easy start but at 130 pounds it isn't light. I also have a Boliy 3600Pro. It does a good job also. Runs the 15K air no problem and is just a hair louder than the Kipor. This genny is light at 70 pounds. It is also pull start but starts first or second pull all the time.
Why I have both I don't know except I tried the Kipor when all others put it down for being made in China and it has worked out great. I bought the Red Boliy when it first appeared and after some small problems and a couple of mods it is doing great.
Now, my best two buddies both have twin Honda 2000's and coupled together they do great. One of these wieghs in at about 40 pounds so they are light but the up front cost can be high at about $2000.00 for the pair and the coupler.
There's my take on three different ways to go and they all work but you have to do your own homework to know what would be best for you and your budget. Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron Schoner

Tin Star
We have two Honda 200i's. Paralleled together and they run the AC. And all the 110v items. TV's, Stereo. MIcro.

They are not heavy. Very quiet!

Ron

campntn

Great info..thanks guys. I"m gonna have to see Santa bout these. Not sure how much the ole guy has left in his sleigh for me. LOL.
What specifications do I need to look for?
Mark

jbeletti

Mark,

A key spec you'll need to be concerned with is wattage. From all the input below, sounds like you'll need 3500 to 4000 watts of gen to power your trailer, including your AC. I've read that twinning 2 Honda EU2000i gens does not yield a full doubling of wattage but still enough to start and power a 15k BTU AC.

If it's in your budget, strongly consider the inverter style generator. It produces a true, not modified sine wave output. Some equipment requires true sine wave AC power. This way, no worries. The Honda EU series as well as some of the Yamaha's and probably others are true sine wave, inverter style units.

Consider the noise level. Most units are rated in dB. When comparing, be sure to look for what load the sound pressure level measurement was taken at as well as the distance it was measured from - then make sure the others you are comparing were measured in a similar fashion.

Consider the size and weight of various gens. Two Honda EU2000i units are easy to transport by 1 man and to store. The next larger units from Honda, Yamaha and others are much larger and heavier and sometimes require 2 people to lift them. All depends on what your storage/transport options are for your gen(s).

Consider non-RVing uses for your gen. When else would/could you use it and what gen would be best for these other uses.

You have a TT so a built-in is less of an option but for others reading this with 5th wheel trailers, a built-in unit is another consideration.

Have fun.

Jim

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I've got the Champion 4000 , runs everything you can turn on at once. It was the $299.00 plus shipping at www.partsamerica.com. It has never failed to start on the first pull, if one remembers to turn the fuel on.;) Ken

campntn

Jim, thanks for all that info. Those are the facts I'm looking for. I'm wondering if I could use it at home as well if the power fails.
katkens said:
I've got the Champion 4000 , runs everything you can turn on at once. It was the $299.00 plus shipping at www.partsamerica.com. It has never failed to start on the first pull, if one remembers to turn the fuel on.;) Ken
Thanks Ken. I sure like that price! Hard to go too wrong with that one.
Here is the direct link to it:
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=CPE&MfrPartNumber=C46540&CategoryCode=3483C

The specs have a link there as well. Looks big. But, we don't boondock a lot, I might just pitch it in the back of the truckbed should we want to go that route.

katkens

campntn said:
Jim, thanks for all that info. Those are the facts I'm looking for. I'm wondering if I could use it at home as well if the power fails.
Thanks Ken. I sure like that price! Hard to go too wrong with that one.
Here is the direct link to it:
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=CPE&MfrPartNumber=C46540&CategoryCode=3483C

The specs have a link there as well. Looks big. But, we don't boondock a lot, I might just pitch it in the back of the truckbed should we want to go that route.

I measured mine and the roll cage is W-17 1/2" X L-23" X H-17 1/2". We bought ours also to use at home if needed ,we have had a lot of storm power outages over the past couple of years. The food we lost in the fridge , freezer would have more than paid for the generator. Now if something happens we can move ito the trailer, power the needs in the house or little of both. Hope this helps....Ken

Netem

I've been camping with a generator for 10 years. I started with a Coleman 2300 from Sams not enough to run ac so 5 years ago bought a 5500 Generac for $500.00 and it runs everything. Its a little louder than my friends Honda but he paid over $2000.00. Starts on 2 or less pulls.

5erWonk

Forrest,

DW wants to know if it comes with the guy on the bike....

I'd like to get everybodies opinion on the alternative of a solar system with a good invertor as an alternative to all these generator combinations. Obviously if you camp in areas with a lot of overcast days maybe not, but we are in the west and southwest with lots of sunshine.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Forrest, I guess I need to start taking all the grand kids. Heck with all their energy we could stop using foreign oil all together. Just noisy, dont know what DB,s are, but duct tape works good as a muffler. Fuel for them is lots of candy and soda. LOL Bob

campntn

I'm seriously considering ordering this one: http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=CPE&MfrPartNumber=C46540&CategoryCode=3483C

I have to confirm if it has free shipping. I haven't read any bad reviews. MOst say it's loud. Don't plan on camping in too many WalMart's but you never know. The Honda's are good but VERY expensive.
For $300.00 bucks, I'd like to try this, I guess. We live way out in the country and loose electricity occasionally. It'd be nice to have this.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
If it is loud, please park waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy away from me. I enjoy the quietness of our 2400 watt Yamaha. Yes more expensive than 300 bucks but my neighbours don't give me dirty looks.
Solar panels are even quiter, if you can get the sun on them. Something that is a little harder here in the trees of the northwest.
Oh yes, it is wet snow this evening but melting tommorrow with more rain on Wed.

campntn

haha, true true. I'll have to reconsider all of this generator stuff maybe. We don't dry camp, never have. But I was thinking of getting one just in case.
Still might get it, just use it at home.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Campntn
We don't dry camp that much either. Just a week at Quartzsite Az. in January. I guess the DW can have the girls ovre to sew this year instead of going to the other units. The boys, we head off to some talk about ham radio. Keeps us out of mischief, except for Saturday morning when the Yard sale starts before dawn.
Rand

katkens

campntn said:
I'm seriously considering ordering this one: http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=CPE&MfrPartNumber=C46540&CategoryCode=3483C

I have to confirm if it has free shipping. I haven't read any bad reviews. MOst say it's loud. Don't plan on camping in too many WalMart's but you never know. The Honda's are good but VERY expensive.
For $300.00 bucks, I'd like to try this, I guess. We live way out in the country and loose electricity occasionally. It'd be nice to have this.

If you read the fine print free shipping is on items up to 20 lbs. I paid $46.00 to have mine shipped....Ken

campntn

Ken, right. I have emailed them with that exact question. But still, that's not a lot of shipping costs on an item that big.
So, you've been very happy with yours? Used it at home? Does it run everything you need there?
Thanks,
Mark