Low Clearance Database for GPS

SilverRhino

Just got through updating my GPS ......... file saved my brother a major head ache ( No pun intended ) ....... Database warned him on recent trip to west coast with his double deck enclosed car hauler. Just one more piece of information to make travel safer.

Wharton

Thanks, think I will update this year. Can't see lifetime, bridges don't change height and new ones are far and few between.

pegmikef

I ordered this for streets and trips and was somewhat disappointed as I created two routes where I know there are fairly low bridges (Coleman, TX and near Mineral Wells, TX) and neither bridge showed up . . . so one wonders.

murry135 if you find out please let me know because I haven't found a way to load any navigation data into Ford's system (i.e., routes from streets and trips)

porthole

Retired
Thanks, think I will update this year. Can't see lifetime, bridges don't change height and new ones are far and few between.

Some bridges actually do change height, but "almost" always higher.
In our area, before milling became popular, road paving changed the posted bridge height on several bridges in the town I work in.

The full price All-stays RV app for the ipad has a bridge height filter. Haven't used it yet for the bridge filter, but the app is very useful for all things RV'ing

Another FYI - make sure you can use the POI file with your GPS. I only use one Garmin and POI files are not downloadable as a file.

SilverRhino

Another FYI - make sure you can use the POI file with your GPS. I only use one Garmin and POI files are not downloadable as a file.

I am curious....which Garmin do you use that doesn't take the POI file downloads? All three of mine do....Did not know that the stand alones would not except downloads.....thought this was an issue with the "factory" in dash units only.

porthole

Retired
Garmin 478. It is a waterproof auto navigation and marine chart plotter that does both worlds very well. Probably why it is discontinued.

The aviation version is still in production and very pricey compared to automotive units.

I can do things with my 478 that have yet to be duplicated in newer units, but downloading a POI file is not one of them.

My 478 goes on every tip I make, car, truck, motorcycle or boat.