Cabinet door fell off

Curt_Hinson

I couldn't find anyplace else to put this so here goes: I was trying to get the TV's to work for several days in my 2014 Landmark Sequoia. The cabinet door above the big living room TV is wide and about twice the size of all other cabinet doors. I had left the door standing open while we went out to eat and when we returned, I thought someone had entered the trailer and robbed me. The door was hanging down on the right side supported only by the pneumatic arm. I tried to lift it and put it back in it's proper place and the left side fell down.

I removed the door entirely and discovered that the hinge (those sucker's are strong) are attached as follows: A large hole is drilled for the round hinge and on both sides are two holes for the attaching screws. All three holes have flat bottoms. The hinge is held in place by inserting two round pieces of plastic and then inserting two short screws which expand the plastic inserts against the sides of the small round holes. Think of hollow wall fasteners that do not go completely through the dry wall. Simple design that allows all three holes to be drilled at the same time, but a disaster with the hinges. Opening and closing the door several times will work the holding screws and plastic out just like trying to remove a hard to unplug 50 amp plug. You have to work it back and forth until it comes out.

What ever happened to inserting screws into wood using a pilot hole drilled slightly smaller than the screw. I will replace the screws that are currently used for longer ones that will not exit the front of the door but will still be screwed into wood.

My granddaughter and her husband (Army) just returned from Korea. They were there when I discovered that the door had fallen down, and he was quick to inform me that that type of fastener was all they used in Korea and that none of them worked.

Gotta be a better solution somewhere.

Curt

Theresau

Welcome to those that have had this occur. There are other threads about this. Two of ours have fallen off so far - one we use a great deal and the other we rarely use. We have 8 others that haven't fallen off yet. We used gorilla glue around the plastic molley. That's worked well so far. We're carrying gorilla glue now for future "events."

I couldn't find anyplace else to put this so here goes: I was trying to get the TV's to work for several days in my 2014 Landmark Sequoia. The cabinet door above the big living room TV is wide and about twice the size of all other cabinet doors. I had left the door standing open while we went out to eat and when we returned, I thought someone had entered the trailer and robbed me. The door was hanging down on the right side supported only by the pneumatic arm. I tried to lift it and put it back in it's proper place and the left side fell down.

I removed the door entirely and discovered that the hinge (those sucker's are strong) are attached as follows: A large hole is drilled for the round hinge and on both sides are two holes for the attaching screws. All three holes have flat bottoms. The hinge is held in place by inserting two round pieces of plastic and then inserting two short screws which expand the plastic inserts against the sides of the small round holes. Think of hollow wall fasteners that do not go completely through the dry wall. Simple design that allows all three holes to be drilled at the same time, but a disaster with the hinges. Opening and closing the door several times will work the holding screws and plastic out just like trying to remove a hard to unplug 50 amp plug. You have to work it back and forth until it comes out.

What ever happened to inserting screws into wood using a pilot hole drilled slightly smaller than the screw. I will replace the screws that are currently used for longer ones that will not exit the front of the door but will still be screwed into wood.

My granddaughter and her husband (Army) just returned from Korea. They were there when I discovered that the door had fallen down, and he was quick to inform me that that type of fastener was all they used in Korea and that none of them worked.

Gotta be a better solution somewhere.

Curt

Curt_Hinson

Thanks for the reply Joe. I try to research, but obviously did not put in the right search words. I am very familiar with gorilla and all forms of super glue, but why should we have to go that direction. I still intend to use longer screws, but will in all probability use some form of super glue.

Thanks again, Curt.

Theresau

Here is one of the threads - an older one. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/23509-Cabinet-Hinges?highlight=theresau+cabinet

And here's the thread we started. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/40336-Cabinet-Door-Issue

Thanks for the reply Joe. I try to research, but obviously did not put in the right search words. I am very familiar with gorilla and all forms of super glue, but why should we have to go that direction. I still intend to use longer screws, but will in all probability use some form of super glue.

Thanks again, Curt.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
That style of hinge is commonly referred to as a "Euro-hinge." Not sure where Heartland gets theirs from, but a US manufacturer is Grass Hinges, identifiable by a "G" stamped on them.

donr827

Had the same type of problem. Used Gorilla Glue to re insert the round plastic piece and have held up now for a year.
Don