Do you need it?

OhioJay

So, do you NEED a gun? There are plenty of arguements for or against. It comes down to personal choice.

We camp in nicer areas most of the time. I have never felt as though I NEEDED my gun(s) while at a campground. Just like everyone here, every camper/campground we've encountered have been nice, generous, polite, and friendly. Just the sort of people we enjoy meeting and hanging out with.

BUT...

Here's the biggest reason I carry, all of the time, not just while camping. I'm towing a 35' travel trailer with my Suburban. In the truck with me are my wife, my two kids and a dog that just gets all whipped up and whiny when we travel. While I try to pay full attention to my job of getting us there, things happen. Maybe you drift out of your lane a bit. maybe you blow a tire and some rubber hits the car next to you. Maybe a bike falls off the rear bike rack (this happened to me one time) and nearly hits a vehicle. On, and on, right? We've all been there, we all know things happen.

Now what if the guy next to/behind you decides he doesn't like what happened, and he's gonna show you! He follows you to your exit, or to the campground, or wherever. We all have seen road rage at least once before, right? So we have my wife, and children present, and a guy who is angry for whatever reason. In this scenario, which seems perfectly realistic, I CHOOSE to be armed and ready.

Maybe you break down on the side of the road in your nice big truck with your nice big camper. Maybe someone decides that you must be loaded$ if you can afford those toys, and decides to try and lighten that load. In my opinion, this scenario seems perfectly realistic, and I CHOOSE to be armed.

There's more to consider than a guy with a ski mask at the campground.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I have one in the house and one in the HORN. Ya just never know. Better to have one and never use it...than not have one when you do. People are getting nuts anymore.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
This question is like whipping a dead horse. I don't have to justify why I have a CPL, several weapons, and carry whenever/wherever I can. Don't try to do evil on me or mine and you will never know I'm armed. Try to do evil and your life is subject to termination.

GlenStMary

This question is like whipping a dead horse. I don't have to justify why I have a CPL, several weapons, and carry whenever/wherever I can. Don't try to do evil on me or mine and you will never know I'm armed. Try to do evil and your life is subject to termination.

Totally agree. I carry but no one will ever know unless they deserve to know

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
A couple of summers ago, my brother in law and I are pulled over in a vacant lot (2 trailers with our wives) out in the middle of nowhere New Mexico, lost,
thanks to his gps (that's another story). It's just starting to get dark and we are standing beside one of our trucks looking at a map and planning our next move when a beat up old van with Michigan license plates pulled up next to us with 3 guys out of a deliverance movie and they ask... are you lost? We had no idea what they had planned and they had no idea we were both carrying or that we are both CHL holders and trained (Thunder Ranch) and former IDPA competitors. A very short and not very cordial conversation had them on their way. But you never know what lurks out there, I feel better knowing I am prepared just in case.

Lynn1130

There is at least one and probably more very long threads on this topic.

In no way am I trying to belittle anyone who decides to carry and goes through the proper training. I carry and the fact is that my job required me to carry weapons for 35 years. I can also tell you that using that gun on someone is not a small decision and can create lifetime issues, mental and otherwise. And shooting at targets in no way, shape or form represents real life when the time comes. I have seen trained, experienced, seasoned cops freeze in fight or flight situations. And they trained heavily. So, saying that you would do this or that sounds good but until you have been there you do not know and being mentally prepared is just as important as being physically prepared.

Train often, be mentally prepared and think about what it would be like to take a life or seriously injure someone because even if they brought it on themselves you will pay the price too. Oh, and you better make the correct decision at the time because if you do not or there is even a small question about that decision well, look at the latest national news issues on shooting someone.

sjs731

We were on a long weekend trip last week to a familiar campground and I was unlocking our bikes off the bike rack and out of nowhere there is a guy behind me with a raccoon on his shoulder. Yes that is weird enough but as I watched him he seemed to be casing what I had that he could see. He is at the same time trying to sell me a Mercedes that is parked in the campground that I never saw him around. Luckily I never saw him again but it made me feel better that I had my gun in the rig. You never know these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve and Carrie
HOC# 2252
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Sundance 3300CK

TXTiger

I said before in another thread. I carry a fire extinguisher and hope I never have to use it. I carry a tire jack and hope I never have to use it. I carry a tool box and hope I never have to use it. I carry a gun and hope I never have to use it. A gun is just another tool. Make sure you are trained on how to use and aim the fire extinguisher and the gun.

Lynn1130

TwoToes, We found that fire extinguishers work very well on nasty dogs on search warrant entries. Takes the dog right out of the fight and we were not firing rounds off that could injure innocents. Trouble with that is they are hard to conceal as a personal weapon :) I would not, however, recommend taking one to a gun fight.

TXTiger

TwoToes, We found that fire extinguishers work very well on nasty dogs on search warrant entries. Takes the dog right out of the fight and we were not firing rounds off that could injure innocents. Trouble with that is they are hard to conceal as a personal weapon :) I would not, however, recommend taking one to a gun fight.

That is so funny. I never thought of using my fire extinguisher for self defense. I have a door mat that says "come back with a warrant" lol lol lol

Grey Ghost

We also carry and hope to never need it, however better to be judged by 12 honest men than carried by 6 friends. I agree that shooting another human being is something that will stay with you for a very long time. I did a tour with the 101st Airborne in 67-68 so I do know how to use a weapon and when to use one and to not hesitate if the situation calls for desperate measures.
We were camped in California last December when a transient approached me in the dark while I was out walking the dog before bed time. Took me by surprise and I'm telling you the bravest of men will jump when taken off guard. He ask me for a dollar and said he was tired and hungry and that he was a vet in need. When I asked him what branch of the service he replied Army. When I asked him where he trained and what outfit he was with he hesitated and said he would rather not talk about it and started toward me. I quickly informed him I was armed and would not hesitate to use it if pressed. He continued to come at me and I yelled at him to stop and leave the area or I would be forced to draw and use my weapon. He began to laugh and stated that he didn't believe me, so I drew my gun, it's a small Smith and Wesson .38. I was always taught never to draw your weapon unless you intend to use it, however I was hoping that just the sight of it would scare him away. Thank the Lord, he ran like **** in the other direction and I never saw him again the entire four day we were there. As stated earlier I would much rather be judged by 12 than carried by six any day. Be safe out there and I learned to never put myself in that type of situation again. I now take not only the dog out but my wife goes along with a cell phone and very big flash light and of course I still have the gun.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
@lgubbels... You sure that wasn't a cat you were walking? My dog (rv terrier) alerts when there is a hot air balloon 3 miles away! lol

Grey Ghost

Buddy, 9 year old Westie, did bark and that was how I knew there was something in back of me, but then I saw this dark figure come out from behind the shower building. Oh ya, Buddy was going nuts the entire time. However, he would lick you to death after he got done barking for a while!

jcarnevale

So, do you NEED a gun? There are plenty of arguements for or against. It comes down to personal choice.

We camp in nicer areas most of the time. I have never felt as though I NEEDED my gun(s) while at a campground. Just like everyone here, every camper/campground we've encountered have been nice, generous, polite, and friendly. Just the sort of people we enjoy meeting and hanging out with.

BUT...

Here's the biggest reason I carry, all of the time, not just while camping. I'm towing a 35' travel trailer with my Suburban. In the truck with me are my wife, my two kids and a dog that just gets all whipped up and whiny when we travel. While I try to pay full attention to my job of getting us there, things happen. Maybe you drift out of your lane a bit. maybe you blow a tire and some rubber hits the car next to you. Maybe a bike falls off the rear bike rack (this happened to me one time) and nearly hits a vehicle. On, and on, right? We've all been there, we all know things happen.

Now what if the guy next to/behind you decides he doesn't like what happened, and he's gonna show you! He follows you to your exit, or to the campground, or wherever. We all have seen road rage at least once before, right? So we have my wife, and children present, and a guy who is angry for whatever reason. In this scenario, which seems perfectly realistic, I CHOOSE to be armed and ready.

Maybe you break down on the side of the road in your nice big truck with your nice big camper. Maybe someone decides that you must be loaded$ if you can afford those toys, and decides to try and lighten that load. In my opinion, this scenario seems perfectly realistic, and I CHOOSE to be armed.

There's more to consider than a guy with a ski mask at the campground.

Jay

I couldn't agree with you more, We camp in nicer areas most of the time also. And I too have never felt as though I NEEDED my gun while at a campground.

But, I just made a wrong turn this afternoon in Detroit,... this is the neighborhood we ended up in:
IMAG0929.jpg

enough said, evil can be just one exit away.

Grey Ghost

Jay I couldn't agree with you more, We camp in nicer areas most of the time also. And I too have never felt as though I NEEDED my gun while at a campground.

But, I just made a wrong turn this afternoon in Detroit,... this is the neighborhood we ended up in:

View attachment 25981

enough said, evil can be just one exit away.
I know how that goes, we were pulling through LA last year and my wife wanted to drive past the Hollywood sign so I pulled off. Not the best idea I've ever had by the way. After about 20 minutes of driving around lost, it seemed we had pulling into a third world country. Could not get out fast enough because I didn't want to be there in the dark! I carry weapons but I'm sure I would have been out gunned!! Best to run away and live to enjoy another day!

Lynn1130

And in California had you been caught carrying you would be going to jail.

"May I carry a concealed firearm in California? Except in extremely limited circumstances, you may not carry a concealed firearm on your person in public unless you have a valid CCW license. CCW permits are issued only by a county sheriff to residents of the county, or by the head of a city police department to residents of that city."

California does not recognize CCW permits from other states.

bob34787

during a deposition a few years ago the Defense Atty asked me why I keep so many firearms in my house, my response was " there is always a chance a Lawyer will break in" my Lawyer did not find it amusing.