Recommendations for New Mexico campsites

MountainTop

We'll be traveling throughout NM in October with our MPG in tow and with a couple towing an rPod. We know we'll spend several days in the Taos/Santa Fe area, already have a place in Albuquerque for the balloon fest, and then will move south to Carlsbad and then west to Tucson. Would like to hear any recommendations or warnings about campgrounds, both state and private.

Hi just wondering where you will be staying for the balloon fest and when you made your reservations? We are planning to be there in 2014. Thanks for any info. Sorry I cannot help with campsite recommendations.

d_fergie

The Oilfield workers have many of the campgrounds around Carlsbad filled up, the KOA about 15 miles north or Whites City near the Caverns (about 20 miles south)of Carlsbad might be better choices (I live in this area) if you like getting away from it all try Pine Springs or Dog Canyon campgrounds in Guadalupe Mountains National Park or there is camping in the Lincoln National Forest and some RV Spots at Queen, NM...

d_fergie

pegmikef

There is Brantley Lake State Park just a little north of Carlsbad off of 285 that has nice campsites if you are into that kind of camping.

http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/SPD/brantleylakestatepark.html

NM State Parks usually have walkin sites available where you don't need a reservation, but I always like a reservation if I know when I am going to be there.

And there is Bottomless Lakes State Park up near Roswell which is a nice park and good swimming . . . imagine a ninety foot deep natural lake in the middle of a desert.

d_fergie

There is Brantley Lake State Park just a little north of Carlsbad off of 285 that has nice campsites if you are into that kind of camping.

http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/SPD/brantleylakestatepark.html

NM State Parks usually have walkin sites available where you don't need a reservation, but I always like a reservation if I know when I am going to be there.

And there is Bottomless Lakes State Park up near Roswell which is a nice park and good swimming . . . imagine a ninety foot deep natural lake in the middle of a desert.
Water is way down in Brantley (as it is over much of our part of the country and further west).

ABQscott

Think about spending a few days at Heron lake, south of Chama NM. We stay in the dry camp area south end by the boat ramp. Beautiful

shovelguy

We stayed in a very small, but clean and nice park just outside of Roswell, The Red Barn. We drove about an hour south to Carlsbad. We have also stayed at Elephant Butte outside of Truth or Consequences. We were there for a Heartland Rally. Nice place.