2014 Elkridge Express E30

My family recently purchased 2014 Elkridge Express E30. The E30 unit is very nice but we have some questions about it:

1. The unit has 2 vents in each bedroom and vent pairs across the main living room/kitchen. But only one vent in each room blows air. What is the second vent for if it's not blowing any air?
2. What is that big red button in the living room control panel? What does it do?
3. What are those 2 buttons on the bottom of the steps to the master bedroom?
4. The bathroom faucet water flow is very slow on the hot & cold side. Basically a trickle. Other taps work fine. How can the bathroom water flow be improved?
5. The 12V lights flicker as you walk around the camper. I noticed that the fuse in the fuse box flickers red when the lights flicker. I'm guessing that one of the 12v lights has a bad connection. Any ideas how to trouble shoot this?

Thanks!

danemayer

Hi SnoSheriff,

Congratulations on your new Elkridge and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Let me take a shot at your questions.

1. Some of the new air conditioning designs circulate the air; cold air blows out the vents on one side and the return air goes through the other side to circulate the air. Not sure if this is what you have, but if NONE of the vents on one side have cold air coming out, that could be it. You may need to call the factory to confirm this: call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.
2. If by big red button, you mean a wall-type light switch that lights up red when ON, it could be the electric side of the water heater, or it could be the tank heating pads if you have them. Make sure there's water in the water heater before experimenting with switches; you could burn out the heating element if the tank is empty.
3. If by 2 buttons on the bottom of the steps, you mean small rocker switches, one may turn on an outside light behind the folding steps. The other might be to turn on step lights to the master bedroom.
4. Reduced flow in one faucet might be due to crud in the faucet filter. Might just need to be cleaned.
5. If all the lights are getting a bit brighter or dimmer now and then, it may be the power converter changing modes. If you mean that some of the lights flicker on and off, you could have a bad connection somewhere. Might be something to have your dealer look at under warranty.

Others may jump in with additional thoughts.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
4. The bathroom faucet water flow is very slow on the hot & cold side. Basically a trickle. Other taps work fine. How can the bathroom water flow be improved?

Thanks!

We had the same issue with our bathroom faucet. While at the Goshen Rally, one if the technicians found that the faucet was filled with plastic shavings. He took apart the screens in the front of the faucet spout, back flushed with water and then turned on the pressure. It looked like a cup of plastic shavings came out. 10 minutes and the water flow was incredible.

Jamie

Thanks guys. I'll upload some pics for reference.

How do you "back flush the faucet with water"? What is the procedure for that?

My wife an I bought a 2013 E30. This has been our worst nightmare!! It has been at the dealer more than we have camped in it! We bought it new, it has had nothing but problems from the stove catching fire, the trim falling off, the outside counters swelling and going bad, to now the rear cap is delaming and the skin on the main slide is tearing,(had to put duct tape on it), to the floor no is coming up from the grey water tank being installed wrong and leaking into it! This was our FIRST new camper and boy did we go wrong. It will now go back in the shop for major repairs or at least another month. We have lost our vaca because of this thing. It should be replaced not repaired again but I can get no one to listen.
Oh, and the awing s installed wrong so it ad to be redone so you cold open the door!
DON'T buy this stuff. You will get grief and Heartland will not help you at all!!
Thanks

danemayer

My wife an I bought a 2013 E30. This has been our worst nightmare!! It has been at the dealer more than we have camped in it! We bought it new, it has had nothing but problems from the stove catching fire, the trim falling off, the outside counters swelling and going bad, to now the rear cap is delaming and the skin on the main slide is tearing,(had to put duct tape on it), to the floor no is coming up from the grey water tank being installed wrong and leaking into it! This was our FIRST new camper and boy did we go wrong. It will now go back in the shop for major repairs or at least another month. We have lost our vaca because of this thing. It should be replaced not repaired again but I can get no one to listen.
Oh, and the awing s installed wrong so it ad to be redone so you cold open the door!
DON'T buy this stuff. You will get grief and Heartland will not help you at all!!
Thanks

Hi rmorris301,

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Have you discussed this directly with Heartland Customer Service? If not, let me suggest you call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

Yes sir we have,
They keep sending us to the Louisiana rep which I no help at all. They do take care of the warranty, but the unit just has sooo many problems and continues to do so. Just a bad unit and I can't get any help!!
Thanks,
Robby Morris

johnpsz

SnoSheriff - We just did the PDI walk trough of our 2015 Elkridge E30 yesterday.

We had the AC running and I didn't notice limited flow in some of the AC vents so not sure as I didn't fully check each vent just made sure it was cooling in each area of the trailer. danemayer was correct on your questions 2 and 3, I have a video I uploaded of the walk through on my control panel so that may help, the switches at the bottom of the stairs work the outside light as well as the inside light above the door. I also didn't notice reduced flow so the cleaning may help you out as listed above. We also had a few of the 12v lights flickering and/or not turning on, and we just pulled the bulbs and they are like the old Christmas lights with little wires that are sometimes not touching the contacts, we fiddled with the little wires and plugged them back in and all was well.

WOW,
The 2015 is totally set up different. My panel is on the floor next to the door under the sink. Same color on the inside it looks like! Speaker covers are new color, love em.. I see they fixed the awning issue. As I am writing this reply, our unit is still in the shop. It looks like a total rebuild! New rear cap, new floors, redo ac ducting, front delaming under master bedroom near pin, roof to be redone. My unit is only 7 mnths old. By the way, double check the grey tanks, unless its something new, you only have one large one.( they already replaced ours.) We don't have that cool led strip!

2013 Elkridge E30
2013 Chevy 2500 6.6 550hp turbo Alison tranny, NO mods needed

Hello Dan,
Just thought I'd share an update for you on my camper situation.
As stated before, the main slide skin was tearing, the rear cap as delaming, now they have found out that the roof was install wrong when they were working on an a/c problem. The roof has to be torn off, new sheeting laid own wit proper supports, then a new rubber roof. It has now become battle because of he labor charges. Heartland is wanting to cut them. I'm sure in a factory setting its easier to install these components when done right. They will have more in labor and materials than what its worth I think!!
y the way, I now have a fix for anyone that is complaining of their a/c not blowing out of both the ducts. I suggested an air diverter like in a home a/c and they built one for those unis that are not blowing well.
They can be fixed now!!
Thanks,
Robby

danemayer

It has now become battle because of he labor charges. Heartland is wanting to cut them. I'm sure in a factory setting its easier to install these components when done right. They will have more in labor and materials than what its worth I think!!
I can understand it. There's a lot of hours of labor involved in replacing a roof. Manufacturers probably pay an hourly rate way lower than what dealers get for post-warranty work. No doubt the dealer is reluctant to tie up the service techs for a week at a lower reimbursement rate.

You probably already know this, but you don't want to get in the middle of this argument. Heartland and the dealer need to reach the agreement.

'Lil Guy'

I haven't even taken delivery of my E289. I think you have just gotten a lemon. We did a walk thru on ours and had all of the panels pulled to look for leaks and such while hooked up. Everything we could see or get our hands on looked good. Again, I think you just got hold of a bad egg. Sorry and I can feel your headache. I think every RV on the market will expose some problems but hopefully they are easy fixes. I try to fix anything I can myself unless it is a major issue under warranty. I cringe when I see the techs with their power screw drivers coming to strip out everything they touch. Speaking of that, have you noticed the molding around the wheel wells that are held on by 1 1/2 self tapping screws? I can see about 1 1/4" sticking out on the inside. Looks like a good place for a proper length and size bolt with nylon locknut. I also hope Heartland improves their quality control. They owe it to their loyal followers. After my 1st rally, I couldn't even look at another brand. Met a few people I would like to run into down the road again. Am looking forward to our next rally. After reading everything you said that has gone wrong with your rig, it seems Heartland would come out and set fire to it so you could get out from under it and start over. Just way too many issues. I would be in court over that. Good luck and I hope the issues were solved before they built mine.

Yes I have. When I put our wheel covers on, I cut myself on one of them! Don't get us wrong, we love our 5th wheel, just built on a Friday by someone getting off late!! The shop found out why the rear delamed, the windows had no seal in the which caused water to intrude. The main slide skirt is a design fault. It is easy to tear at any time, no bracket to hold it!
And no, ty would not replace the unit!