Critters

DavidL

Hello, I will be in Rock Springs Wyoming for the winter. I am looking for ways to keep the small and medium size critters for making my fifth wheel there winter home. Can anybody give me any ideals?

jimtoo

HI DavidL,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I certainly think I could pick a better place to spend the winter than Rock Springs, WY. It gets really cold and the wind blows,,, or at least it did about 50 years ago when I was working all over that area.:)

Hopefully some of our other members that spend time that area will jump in soon and give you an idea or two.

Jim M

olcoon

Probably wouldn't want to do this long term, but last winter we got a tip from Kevin Wolbeck he had gotten from a friend. White rope lights around the coach on the ground left on 24/7. We did this gate guarding & didn't have any critters in the rig.

dbbls59

We have use the rope light trick the last few years and have not had any problems. We winter in the desert in Arizona. I have a dusk to dawn switch that operates mine.

Ron-Cookie

I don't now what kind of "Critters" you are talking about but I keep field mice out of the trailer by laying laundry fabric softener sheets around the wheels (as well as on top of the wheels) and on the ground any where the F/W touches the ground...

Bobby A

I plug in one of the critter sonic things that emits a sound only a critter can hear, I use that plus a few drops of peppermint oil on a cotton ball in the basement. I haven't had critters (mice) in years, (knock on wood) or gelcoat, LOL.

RAHanock

We had a mice in our Sundance within months after purchase. I looked underneath and found large gaps that allow easy entrance to the trailer. I cut some foam swimming noodles to plug the larger gaps and then sealed up around it with expanding foam. Depending on your unit, look underneath the front around the propane tank area. I also used the expanding foam to seal the chloroplast in area where there were gaps.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I would be careful in sealing the bottom of the propane compartment(s). They are left open for ventilation because propane is heavier than air and will then be dissipated by the wind to keep it away from your trailer.

Be safe.

RAHanock

Obviously we did not seal the propane compartment, we sealed around it due to the many fairly large gaps. As one looks underneath this area, one will see these entry gaps that need plugging and sealing.

ParkIt

I don't now what kind of "Critters" you are talking about but I keep field mice out of the trailer by laying laundry fabric softener sheets around the wheels (as well as on top of the wheels) and on the ground any where the F/W touches the ground...
Ours came sealed as if someone was given a can of expanding foam and told "go!" so I'm not sure about the venting thing?

And fabric softeners, I missed a drawer inside the bedroom when it was at the dealers lot...guess where one mouse went? Good thing I only had an old pair of sweat pants in that drawer, it took a couple of bites then got out of there. They also had to take them out of the front storage units to work on it so it probably got in that way, now the storage area's smell like fabric sheets again as well as dropping one behind any of the pull out drawers. Not sure why they don't like it but they really steer clear of them.

Westwind

I'm on high critter patrol - after having them deposit food for the winter in our bed (seeds, pods, spider pods etc) and their waste in our bureau drawers on our clothing I have been sworn to prevent this from happening this fall. I have stuffed every nook and cranny with smelly dryer sheets and I've purchased "Fox Pee" which will go into small plastic containers which will be attached to the from FW legs. The Fox Pee was recommending by my son who was fighting mice for the last two years and when used this method it worked. We are also putting out small containers on either side of the garage doors since our garage was taken over by them while we were in Florida last year. I hadn't cleaned the deck on my riding tractor and they had a feast on the dead grass. When you live in the country you definitely battle creatures big and small.

ParkIt

I'm on high critter patrol - after having them deposit food for the winter in our bed (seeds, pods, spider pods etc) and their waste in our bureau drawers on our clothing I have been sworn to prevent this from happening this fall. I have stuffed every nook and cranny with smelly dryer sheets and I've purchased "Fox Pee" which will go into small plastic containers which will be attached to the from FW legs. The Fox Pee was recommending by my son who was fighting mice for the last two years and when used this method it worked. We are also putting out small containers on either side of the garage doors since our garage was taken over by them while we were in Florida last year. I hadn't cleaned the deck on my riding tractor and they had a feast on the dead grass. When you live in the country you definitely battle creatures big and small.
The only thing about fox urine is you need to change it at least every week, the stuff that repels critters comes from the glands and its a small amount per...serving. You might have better luck than a friend did who tried that as well because his attracted BEARS. He didn't see any deer though, made for a bad hunting season.
Spider traps work pretty well, I only got nailed once so far this year from the front bin where they'd taken the one out I had in there. Might want to check into those for the inside and the outside bins, they are almost as good as cats.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I always keep an open tray of DeCon in the front storage area in case anything gets in.
It's a fine line between stopping them if the get in and attracting them with too much of the stuff.
For that reason I only use one tray, I don't over do it.
On several occasions I have gotten mice and also squirrels that have somehow gotten in.
Plus I can look at the tray to see if it has been disturbed, to see if there is a need to investigate further.
The attractant that is used in rodent baits is like candy to them and if they are inside, they almost always will go for it.

If they get into it, it makes them thirsty and they usually leave looking for water. If they stay and die they dry out quickly and only smell for a couple of days.

Trace

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Mouse-free works, simple as that. Spray it on once a year and you're good to go. Keeps crawling insects out, too.

Westwind

Well we haven't had any bear sightings on the Island, but 10 years ago we didn't have any coyotes on the island so never say never. As I said my son mentioned the Fox Urine to my wife the hater of all critters sooo we now have fox urine to put out. The first year we had the FW I put the dryer whatever inside everything and we didn't have mice so they do work and probably are enough BUt after last year wrapping the RV in Plastic is not enough.