Insect Screens

Eddhuy

Is anyone using Flying Insect Screens to cover the entrance on the covers to the furnace, water heater and refrigerator? If not is it not necessary?

I was thinking of adding these but have not been able to find much on them other than a service techs recommendation to put them on.

priorguy

Re: Insect Sceens

Totally depends where you are. I don't use them yet and haven't needed them over the past 4 years yet.

evolvingpowercat

Why put them on? Because if a wasp builds a nest in your furnace or hot water heater compartment in the right place, they will stop working and you will have an expensive repair and not have heat or hot water when you need them.

Personally I put a $ 10 wasp screen on my furnace vents and put a piece of aluminum screen behind the louvers on my hot water heater access door. The Dometic refrigerator vents were already screened. Not much you can do on the roof top air conditioner but I have had wasps build nests up there too and it blocks the air flow and reduces the efficiency until you clean them out.

If you are getting a lot of wasp activity around your RV then this may be a indication of a tiny propane leak somewhere - I have been told that wasps are attracted to the propane.

tjspencer

Wisconsin Chapter Leader

I think its more of a personal preference but here in Wisconsin we have a lot of mud and paper wasps that love to make nest in the RV's that just sit and don't move much. I have used them for years now.

danemayer

I have screens on the furnace and water heater. No wasps yet. Keeps elephants out too.:)

olcoon

I've got one on the furnace, but don't on anything else. At one of the seminars at the Goshen Rally, one of the presenters said not to put any screens on anything because it will restrict the air flow. But as Dan said he's got screens on everything & doesn't have any problems. What the guy at the seminar said to do is to put a flea collar in each outside door for the appliance & that will take care if the issue. If you do that, you've got to remember they only last a few months & you've got to replace it.

Last edited:

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders

Personally, I just keep moving the rig from one state to another every couple of weeks. :) That way they can't find their home if they ever get one started. Works for me...Just keep traveling:cool:

GlenStMary

Personally, I just keep moving the rig from one state to another every couple of weeks. :) That way they can't find their home if they ever get one started. Works for me...Just keep traveling:cool:

I like your method best of all.

mlburst1

We've had them on the furnace, hot water heater and frig vents for the last 3 1/2 years with no problems.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

You do have to be careful about using regular window screen as some will melt and some restrict air flow so much it can cause damage to the device (heater, fridge etc).