2014 Cyclone 3110, took delivery 8/1/13, first camping trip 8/8/13

jeffdee

//heartlandowners.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=59047&g2_serialNumber=1&g2_GALLERYSID=5df9d220520b53723f871b91a88dc424

//heartlandowners.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=59043&g2_serialNumber=1&g2_GALLERYSID=5df9d220520b53723f871b91a88dc424

//heartlandowners.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=59050&g2_serialNumber=1&g2_GALLERYSID=5df9d220520b53723f871b91a88dc424

I am towing this rv with a 2010 F250 Super Duty Lariat. I have had excellent service from my F250 for nearly 4 years. I was pulling a 32' Pilgrim travel trailer. It was quite intimidating hitching up to this toyhauler but it pulled great and handled very well. Fuel mileage is around 10.3 mpg, better than when I was pulling the travel trailer. On 8/1/13 I took delivery and pulled it home, 45 miles. 5 miles from the house I had a flat. The right rear tire had a piece of sheet metal in the tread and the side wall was starting to separate. Had to put in a plug, aired it up to 50 psi and limped home. I ended up moving the tire on the painted spare to the aluminum wheel and bought a new tire for the painted spare.

On 8/8/13 the wife and I made our first camping trip to Cajun Palms in Henderson, La, 120 mile round trip, 10.3 average mpg. Temps were in the high 90's and the heat index at 108 degrees. The two ac's were able to keep the rv at 78 degrees inside provided I closed the patio ramp door. I was very pleased with everything in the rv. Many people had positive comments on the patio. My only issue was the water heater was not operating properly. The electrical element would not heat the water and the gas does not seem to cycle so it overheats the water. The only other issue that I have found is that Heartland assemblers may tend to strip out some wood screws in several places. All twelve wood screws in the floor locker in the garage pulled out when I loaded the golf cart. I replaced them with stainless nuts and bolt after drilling through to the inner frame. Also, there are some hinge screw stripped in the cabinet in the bedroom.

In spite of these few items, my wife and I love this thing. I am retired but I went back to work to pay for this rv. The wife and I plan to make a trip once a month to the campgrounds in located in Louisiana and Mississippi. On Tuesday, 8/20/13, I am pulling the rv back to the dealer in Hammond to repair the water heater. I installed air bags on the F250 this weekend and I am hoping this will smooth out some of the surging I experienced on some bad stretches of I-10.

I have been following many posts in the Cyclone Community. There sure have been a lot of great tips!

Hello all!

jimtoo

Hi Jeffdee,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Glad you had a fairly decent first trip, even with the flat and other problems.

Nest time you go to that area check out Poche's Fish and Camp. They are not as fancy, but they are really nice folks, clean, quite and good fishing. And of course not to far away is some really good food at Poche's Market and then into Breau Bridge, lots of others. But,,, then after seeing where you from... I ought to be asking you for good food recommendations...cause we love that Cajun food.

Enjoy the forum and your new Cyclone.

Jim M

jeffdee

Update to original posting:

On 8/20/2013 I had the water heater repaired under warranty. Also had a couple of minor items corrected and I was reimbursed for the tire I had to purchase.

I was in and out in 4 hours. I am very satisfied with the service provided by my dealer.

taken

Congrats on the new rig! Airbags will cure some bottoming but to eliminate surging (called chucking) a motion isolating pinbox is the only cure. We went with the TrailAire TriGlide. Pricy but worth every penny. Others are also happy with the Reese 5th Airborne as well as the MorRyde. Also, I wouldn't wait on replacing the tires with load range G Goodyear G614's or equivalent. The towmax tires that come with these trailers are a bomb waiting to go off...

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Jeffdee, please don't forget the south Texas chapter rally on October 18-20th at the Gulf Coast RV Park. Check it out HERE