Airbag air before or after hitch up

Kblock108

Curious what you folks think is best, putting air after hitching up or before? I don't have the compressor and I will be using my home air compressor. Thanks

Rrloren

I air up before hookup and recheck pressure after. Usually let a little air out to get to target pressure,

4ever

I have determined what pressure I need in the air bag to have it a proper spot. The I just make sure I am at the pressure before I hook up.

pegmikef

I have only hitched up nine or ten times and have done it both ways. It doesn't seem to make any difference. I have found thirty pounds is the sweet spot for my set up.

brianharrison

I carry a bicycle pump with built in gauge to air up my air bags after I hook up.

There will be a difference in air bag pressure before/after you hook up as the volume of the bag decreases (compresses) with the load on the truck. You should be able to determine the right pressure either before or after you hook up, for your setup, that provides the best ride height and smoothness.

Kblock108

Okay, at least I know there is not a wrong way :) my 250 may need more air for my 33 greystone...can wait to try it in 2 weeks for our next trip. Sucks to have the cover on, now I feel like I just can't pull it out for the **** of it. The cover has been a pata putting on. But I think I have a system now :)

Gary521

You will have an on board compressor shortly. With the airbags inflated, the ride, without the trailer, is like a rock.

GOTTOYS

I air up with a 12 volt compressor after hitching. I found an adapter that changes my 10 pin connector to a cigarette lighter type plug, so the compressor will plug right in. My pressure can vary according to how my trailer is loaded. I only put enough in the truck airbags to level it. That might be 15-20 PSI. I air up my Trail Aire to just below the arrow point. Works for me...Don

Lynn1130

I don't think it matters as once you find the sweet spot with either method then do it the same. I do think that the weight on the bed will make for a higher reading than with it empty but I have never tested that theory. I air before.

GlenStMary

I don't think it matters as once you find the sweet spot with either method then do it the same. I do think that the weight on the bed will make for a higher reading than with it empty but I have never tested that theory. I air before.

For our situation I found the best pressure when pulling the coach. I then worked to find the most comfortable pressure when driving without the coach. As it worked out, the pressure set without the coach increases to the best pressure for pulling the coach when I lower the coach to the hitch. I haven't had to reset the air lifts at all. Just lucky I guess. :)

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I spent the money and time. I installed airbags with the auto leveling system. Works like a dream and no more having to manually air them up.